IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ebay headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-11, 05:18 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexo350
No I understand that part of it, of course it's not used with oem quality but my question is,,, why would the output be different because that is what he is saying. The bulbs used whether it's regular or HID is the same because we just merely put it back on to the headlight that should not change any output at all meaning how bright it is whether it be oem headlight or aftermarket that's what I'm trying to get an answer on.
The projectors in general has a lot to do with how the light us projected forward. The aftermarket headlight projectors may be cheaper than OEM, so the light projected forward isn't focused the same. Our OEM projectors already suck when compared to other OEM projectors (TSX, S2000)
Old 12-19-11, 05:23 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
The projectors in general has a lot to do with how the light us projected forward. The aftermarket headlight projectors may be cheaper than OEM, so the light projected forward isn't focused the same. Our OEM projectors already suck when compared to other OEM projectors (TSX, S2000)
Cool that was the answer I was looking for. Thank very much there Sir.
Old 12-19-11, 05:24 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexo350
No I understand that part of it, of course it's not used with oem quality but my question is,,, why would the output be different because that is what he is saying. The bulbs used whether it's regular or HID is the same because we just merely put it back on to the headlight that should not change any output at all meaning how bright it is whether it be oem headlight or aftermarket that's what I'm trying to get an answer on.
Simple, the projectors aren't as good. The cutoff is very weak and not made as well as the OEM ones. I opened up these headlights to paint and while waiting for the paint to dry, I noticed the differences.

First, the rubber adhesive to seal the headlight is weaker on the aftermarket. I was able to rip open the headlights just by heating it for 5 minutes when the OEM ones took 15 minutes. The paint on the aftermarket is cheaper, more dull, and flakes off already but doesn't matter to me since I painted it anyways.

Regarding the projectors, the aftermarket ones seem to let out more light into the back of the housing then does the OEM ones for some reason. My OEM projector cutoffs were much more clean and these are good but still a bit blurred. I simply notice just a little less light than I had originally. My old headlights lens were scratched up too while these new ones are crystal clear but still just a little bit less output.