IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Well, my baby is gone. It probably saved my life...and advice sought...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11 | 04:29 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Default Well, my baby is gone. It probably saved my life...and advice sought...

I live off of a 60mph highway with subdivisions every mile with stoplights or stopsights. This morning someone pulled out in front of me and i hit them dead on at 65mph. I've never had airbags go off.....odd and hazy experience. My front end was smashed about as close to the windshield as you can get We have these kind of accidents every week because of careless people trying to sneak onto the highway at high speeds when heavy traffic. The first responders said they were sure they were going to have to airlift someone.

4 broken ribs, a lightly fractured wrist and some neck/back pain. Sucks but they said I'm amazingly lucky. Broken ribs? Airbag? Anyway. On my modest budget I managed to do a lot to make this car my own and spent a lot of money on it. Its sad to see it go. I was foolish and took out a long lone. Planned to have it paid off about a year early (4k left till pay off) and despite the fact that i take such great care of my car inside and out; i drive a LOT (not hard driving) and had about 177k on the 2007 is250. I fear that the "total" amount will be very depressing considering all the mods.

So:
I assume that insurance (even good) will not cover most of these mods which I have no receipt for or am i possibly wrong? If they do not....should I/can I go and strip as much of the non damaged material from it as I can and try to sell some of it? i'd probably keep the amps/speakers but there's plenty of stuff i'm sure is worth some $. I dont know how all this works. Yes i do plan to speak to insurance in detail about it but some input from others might better prepare me for that conversation.

Given the value of the high milage 2007 IS and given the fact that i really dont want another large car payment such as before I'm not sure what's next. Considering the daily "eek" when I scrape a little from being so low. I'm considering going 'big' (suv) but i'm not fond of the lexus suv line. If i can get to all the speakers/amps/tvs I could possibly utilize that in a new vehicle but things like the completely customized trunk (non damaged, at the time most of it was in my garage) are 2IS specific and if i get an is...itll be the F but that's more than i want to bite off and chew now. So be looking for a realllllllly sweet custom trunk audio display for sale.

Sorry for rambling. It's kind a goodbye to my favorite car so far and maybe soon to the forum which has inspired me to modify and love my vehicle!! Plus I sneezed and might have just broke another 3 ribs haha.
Old 12-17-11 | 04:34 PM
kelzzz
Pole Position

Ohh man sorry to hear hope u get better n get another lexy u have pics of damaged? N lately a lot of accidents of isx50
Old 12-17-11 | 04:38 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to hear about that, glad you are ok though.
Old 12-17-11 | 04:48 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Yeah i plan to get pics of the damage when i go where it was towed. GOD i hope that the front laser blockers and radar detector behind upper and lower grilles might have just been thrown but I doubt it. That crap has saved me thousands

I love love love the lexus hybrid wagon. I havent read much about it. But I'm either after speed (and a touch of class) or something I can not worry about bumps in.
Old 12-17-11 | 04:58 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to here about this, lucky you lived. If you can stick with a Lexus as you now know just how safe they really are. Good luck with the insurance.
Jeff
Old 12-17-11 | 05:04 PM
IS250TW
Lead Lap
CL Folding 25,000

Glad you're okay!

Please correct me if I am wrong

As i know I don't think you can go and take off the parts from the car... because after the insurance company took it from you it's theirs... unless you decided not to get the check... then it's your decision to do anything to your car since you kept the car to yourself.....
Old 12-17-11 | 05:06 PM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

sorry to hear, glad your okay and I hope you have a speedy recovery
Old 12-17-11 | 05:17 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

take care of that wrist... wrist injuries are no joke
Old 12-17-11 | 06:17 PM
is_baby
Lead Lap

Wow so many isx50 accidents
Sorry to hear and get better!
Old 12-17-11 | 06:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Ouch, glad you made it out OK even with a bit of injury. Heal up fast.

Did the police cite anyone as being at fault for the accident? You may have a better chance if the other driver was at fault and you can go after their insurance company for replacement of your mods.
Old 12-17-11 | 07:31 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

wow that sucks man. Glad your ok.... I've heard that you can buy the car back from the insurance after everything is said and done. if its not to much like 500 buy it back sell the mods if there worth that much then sell the car to the junk yard. GL
Old 12-17-11 | 08:56 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

thats absolutely terrible. Sorry to hear this happened to you. There are TOO MANY careless people out there on the road. There really is no point trying to rush onto a busy street, trying to catch a yellow light etc etc just to save a few seconds to a couple of minutes of your time give or take. Theres been too many threads lately about members getting into accidents. Don't let this ruin your holiday Hopefully your insurance handles this well and you get back into another IS. Good luck with everything and get better soon.
Old 12-17-11 | 08:57 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear the bad news and hope you have a speedy recovery on your injuries. Perhaps you may consider buying the car back and part it out. This way you can get your parts back and sell off dozens of other things another 2IS owner may need.
Old 12-17-11 | 08:59 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS250TW
Glad you're okay!

Please correct me if I am wrong

As i know I don't think you can go and take off the parts from the car... because after the insurance company took it from you it's theirs... unless you decided not to get the check... then it's your decision to do anything to your car since you kept the car to yourself.....

I can go to the car BEFORE the insurance does, they even told me this. FIrst I'm going to talk to them about their policies. If it's in my benefit i'll go take out all the tvs and other doo dads.
Old 12-17-11 | 09:52 PM
aCortIS101
Pole Position

Wow.. glad to see your ok... Good luck with the recovery process. Sorry to hear about the car.

Quick Reply: Well, my baby is gone. It probably saved my life...and advice sought...