IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Custom Audio Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 06:07 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
The issues can come from different factors depending on how the new headunit was installed. I suggest you take the car back tot he stereo shop and have them fix it. If our adapter was used (Beat-Sonic), please let me know and we can help you troubleshoot.
Is this what I need to use?

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/s...-aok-15ad.html

What is this piece called?
I think the piece I have is a metra adapter...

What exactly does this do?
Old 12-21-11, 06:13 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nsxiboi
Is this what I need to use?

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/s...-aok-15ad.html

What is this piece called?
I think the piece I have is a metra adapter...

What exactly does this do?
Yes, correct. The AOK-15AD is the correct adapter for your vehicle. This will retain the use of your amplifier. I am not sure how the metra adapter works, but for ours, you will need to keep your factory CD player. Our previous customers relocated to the trunk or the glove compartment.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 12-21-11, 06:37 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Yes, correct. The AOK-15AD is the correct adapter for your vehicle. This will retain the use of your amplifier. I am not sure how the metra adapter works, but for ours, you will need to keep your factory CD player. Our previous customers relocated to the trunk or the glove compartment.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.
My factory CD player is no longer in the car. The computer chip which controls both the audio and climate control is still inside hidden in the dashboard. Why is the CD player necessary?
Old 12-21-11, 11:15 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Anyone know which adapter would allow you to send signal from an aftermarket double din unit to the factory amp?? I am hoping the beatsonic adapter would work if the metra adapter i have cannot be fixed...
Old 12-22-11, 10:32 AM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone know which adapter would allow you to send signal from an aftermarket double din unit to the factory amp?? I am hoping the beatsonic adapter would work if the metra adapter i have cannot be fixed...
Hi nsxiboi, sent you the pm!

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 12-24-11, 09:29 AM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Hi nsxiboi, sent you the pm!
Thanks for your help!!
Old 12-24-11, 10:07 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

My factory CD player is no longer in the car. The computer chip which controls both the audio and climate control is still inside hidden in the dashboard. Why is the CD player necessary?
I'm wondering same thing too. Why would you need factory CD player for?
Old 02-03-12, 07:21 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

UPDATE:

Do not attempt to run the same setup as mine. If you plan on putting in an aftermarket dash unit, don't do it! Here's why:
1. Doesn't look right: The location to put in the double din unit is horrible and you have to look down and away from your driving view.
2. There is no harness available for the aftermarket unit to turn on the factory amp. The PAC and Metra harnesses do not work. Lexus uses the CAN-BUS to send data signal to the AMP. Beatsonic Adapters do work, but you still need the factory CD changer. I heard that the BeatSonic adapter was discontinued....
3. For the speakers to work, you need to bypass the factory amp and add a 4-channel amp which won't even allow you to power all 13 speakers... Lexus put in 13 speakers, and I only had 8 working with the 4 channel amp and the sound quality was horrible and worse than stock.
4. CD changer has the circuit board that controls the AC and radio. Without this piece, you lose the AC functions. My installer took it all apart and destroyed it. This made it really hard for me to go back to factory.
5. I went back to stock and had to buy a "new" CD changer unit. Lexus dealership charges over 2 grand for this piece. Luckily, I found one on Ebay for a much better price.
6. Total cost for all of this and going back to stock: about 4 grand.

Lesson learned. Don't even attempt to get this done. I went to a different audio shop to clean everything up and go back to factory. The sound is so much richer and fuller. So word of advice, don't mess with the lexus audio system unless you plan to completely change everything.
Old 02-03-12, 10:46 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE:

Do not attempt to run the same setup as mine. If you plan on putting in an aftermarket dash unit, don't do it! Here's why:
1. Doesn't look right: The location to put in the double din unit is horrible and you have to look down and away from your driving view.
2. There is no harness available for the aftermarket unit to turn on the factory amp. The PAC and Metra harnesses do not work. Lexus uses the CAN-BUS to send data signal to the AMP. Beatsonic Adapters do work, but you still need the factory CD changer. I heard that the BeatSonic adapter was discontinued....
3. For the speakers to work, you need to bypass the factory amp and add a 4-channel amp which won't even allow you to power all 13 speakers... Lexus put in 13 speakers, and I only had 8 working with the 4 channel amp and the sound quality was horrible and worse than stock.
4. CD changer has the circuit board that controls the AC and radio. Without this piece, you lose the AC functions. My installer took it all apart and destroyed it. This made it really hard for me to go back to factory.
5. I went back to stock and had to buy a "new" CD changer unit. Lexus dealership charges over 2 grand for this piece. Luckily, I found one on Ebay for a much better price.
6. Total cost for all of this and going back to stock: about 4 grand.

Lesson learned. Don't even attempt to get this done. I went to a different audio shop to clean everything up and go back to factory. The sound is so much richer and fuller. So word of advice, don't mess with the lexus audio system unless you plan to completely change everything.
So basically, the Flyaudio unit is the best option for ISx50 owners?
Old 02-03-12, 11:22 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
That's what I did because this exact reason. I feel bad for you bro. All that money you spent. Fly Audio has its limitations as well but it does look OEM and no cutting or relocating things. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 02-04-12, 01:19 AM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob4256
Yes, If I were to do this again, I would consider Fly Audio. I heard there are some issues with that too though. I'm sticking with OEM. Only thing I gained from all of this was the Alpine Type S subwoofer in the trunk. With the money I spent, it could have sounded A LOT better.
Old 02-04-12, 01:21 AM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
That's what I did because this exact reason. I feel bad for you bro. All that money you spent. Fly Audio has its limitations as well but it does look OEM and no cutting or relocating things. Thanks for sharing your story.
Thanks man... I should have gone with that. That would be the best option if you want to add navigation, bluetooth, etc.