Custom Audio Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 10:06 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Audio Installed!

Hey guys,

After debating for a while, I was looking at a couple of options for a headunit. I was looking at FlyAudio and double din headunits. I decided to go for double din. Although it requires custom work, the double din unit seems like it has more features and doesn't have glitches.

I got the ALPINE INA W900 BT installed earlier this week and so far I am pretty happy with it. It's loaded with features like bluetooth, navigation, DVD, USB/IPOD/AUX ports, etc. I also added bluetooth audio so you can stream music through your phone.

It has a 7 inch touch screen. It starts up pretty quick in about 6 seconds. I didn't add back up camera, but it can be added. The bluetooth works pretty well. Reception is clear and the person you're talking to can hear you pretty well. The interface is easy to use. Touch screen works great. and can be tilted for easier viewing.

Steering wheel controls work just like normal with a steering wheel adapter kit. However, one problem I have is that when listening to the radio, I'd rather have the up and down buttons preset up and down, rather than seek up and down. My installer says that this can be re-programmed. An override was installed so that you can also watch DVD's while driving.

In terms of getting this unit to fit cleanly, it's a pain in the ***. It requires professional work. I'd like to thank Sam at AudioXcellence in doing a great job with this install.

Also added a 12 Inch Alpine Sub powered by 500 watt RMS Alpine MRP-M500 in the trunk with custom fiberglass enclosure in the side. Then also installed a 4-channel amp MRP F300 to power the tweeters and the 3.5 inch speakers. The stock amplifier is retained to power the midrange speakers on the bottom of each door. The sound is crisp and clear at all volumes. Sounds even better with the volume higher!!! At low volumes, the bass from the sub isn't high enough to be heard when driving. I usually listen to music at low to medium volumes.

Here are some pictures.

Last edited by nsxiboi; 12-21-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-17-11, 11:45 PM
JoeXus1
Rookie

Looks really good. How much did they charge you for this whole setup?
Old 12-18-11, 09:51 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JoeXus1
Looks really good. How much did they charge you for this whole setup?
Thanks!!
Old 12-18-11, 09:57 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

It came out pretty well! i like it, but i think to avoid the hassle and keep an oem look i would rather get a flyaudio. But great work!
Old 12-18-11, 10:11 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great man... Came out to be a clean install... Though if this was over 2.5k to include your subs and enclosure, then I rather go with the FlyAudio and do some some like Mariano did..
Old 12-19-11, 04:35 AM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean install but looks out dated already or im just liking the OEM look and i've had some systems in my time
Old 12-19-11, 08:20 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice custom job. Make sure you post in this thread too: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...our-setup.html
Old 12-19-11, 08:26 AM
is_baby
Lead Lap

Looks great, was thinking about updating the audio but gonna stick with oem
Old 12-19-11, 11:24 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

came out nice...I debated the same thing because the aftermarket units have better options but I don't like how low it sits and how you have to look down to touch/watch everything.
Old 12-19-11, 10:27 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Thanks for all your opinions! It does take some getting used to but I like it. It's a great system and easy to use. I agree, it doesn't look OEM. But this is as close as it can get to achieving a clean look with a custom job like this.

I've only seen 1 or 2 other members on the forum with this setup since it requires lots of professional work.
Old 12-19-11, 10:38 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
...but I don't like how low it sits and how you have to look down to touch/watch everything.
yep yep, eyes forward ALWAYS on guard for potholes/road debris~ protecting rims at all times
Old 12-19-11, 10:45 PM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

That is a nice setup, believe it or not the low sitting is nice since that way it does not stick out as much IMO. Also, do you still have steering wheel functions (like I actually remember I have those in my car lolz) and can you install a changer or not needed (yeah yeah I am old fashion guys). Overall, I like it nice write up and setup!
Old 12-19-11, 10:49 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice...
Old 12-21-11, 04:19 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Ok guys, I ran into a problem here.... As I mentioned, the factory AMP is retained to power the mid-range speakers at the bottom of each door. But I am not getting any sound out of them....

I'm not an audio expert, but I am guessing that the new headunit and the factory amp are not communicating with each other properly. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Majority and 98% of the time, the bottom speakers produce no sound. The installer stated that he had to buy an adapter to make the new headunit communicate with the stock amplifier. Maybe this adapter is not working properly.

The highs sound great from the higher speakers and the bass is awesome. however, without the midrange speakers working, the music doesn't sound rich. There is definitely something missing in the music.....

Any suggestions???
Old 12-21-11, 05:10 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nsxiboi
Ok guys, I ran into a problem here.... As I mentioned, the factory AMP is retained to power the mid-range speakers at the bottom of each door. But I am not getting any sound out of them....

I'm not an audio expert, but I am guessing that the new headunit and the factory amp are not communicating with each other properly. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Majority and 98% of the time, the bottom speakers produce no sound. The installer stated that he had to buy an adapter to make the new headunit communicate with the stock amplifier. Maybe this adapter is not working properly.

The highs sound great from the higher speakers and the bass is awesome. however, without the midrange speakers working, the music doesn't sound rich. There is definitely something missing in the music.....

Any suggestions???
The issues can come from different factors depending on how the new headunit was installed. I suggest you take the car back tot he stereo shop and have them fix it. If our adapter was used (Beat-Sonic), please let me know and we can help you troubleshoot.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/

Quick Reply: Custom Audio Installed!