IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best HID kit for 2IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 12:04 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ELL Y, notice I mentioned Nigel in my post selling the Philips HID kit. He is a legit seller of Philips products. I agree with you about not buying anything claiming to be a Philips off of a googled website due to the countless counterfeits out there. Sure you can buy 10 sets of the cheap kits and hope to piece together ballasts and bulbs that are problem free but not everybody has time for that. Some people just want a headache free quality kit. Cheap bulbs IMO has poor lumen output too. I have gone through different bulbs from different vendors and notice a change in lumens output between them. The replacement bulbs I got from HIDextra are just crap. They are built a bit different, and warm up in different colors (one side orange, other green) before settling to a still greenish yellow. They were noticebly a lot less brighter than the old set I got from them too. Just look at this HIDextra 3000k bulb after 2.5 months of use. The arc chamber is totally black, cheap stuff.. (return wire is broken because I cut it it as part of their warranty procedure)
Attached Thumbnails Best HID kit for 2IS?-imag1180.jpg  
Old 12-20-11, 03:00 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
$30-60 HID kits will work but they suffer from poor quality control and cheap parts. With these "affordable" kits, some people get bulb flickering problems or one side that may not fire up and will need to turn off and on again to fire it up. Other people may say they have had zero issues with these kits, so it's a gamble to get a good set with these "affordable" kits. Sure they have warrany but there is a good chance the replacement part may have something wrong with it too.

There is the Philips HID kit that Nigel sells. It must be quality since Philips products are usually top notch, but comes with a $ price tag.

YA ddm is wack mine flicker or use to i pulled them and tossed them
Old 12-20-11, 10:10 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

DDM has a lifetime warranty. I would only go with the slim kit. That's what I have, and I keep them on permanently. I've never had a problem, and neither have my friends who also installed the slim kit. One person installed the raptor kit, but it wouldn't ignite all the time, so he returned it, and upgraded to the slim kit, and hasn't had any problems since.
Old 12-20-11, 10:52 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no such thing as aftermarket Philips hid kit.

philips does make replacement bulbs and 6000k aftermarket bulbs.

hid kits are cheap enough that when it breaks, just replace the part.
Old 12-20-11, 03:35 PM
cc2001
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well i've got a kit from xenonsupply, wasn't slim and i guess price isn't that great. But im happy with the quality, the 6000k matches the leds i have for parkers.
Old 12-20-11, 04:09 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onihc
no such thing as aftermarket Philips hid kit.

philips does make replacement bulbs and 6000k aftermarket bulbs.

hid kits are cheap enough that when it breaks, just replace the part.
They do in fact make HID kits. They are not listed on the US Philips site because they are not going to advertise something illegal in the US. But the kit is listed elsewhere like Japan, India where these kits are not illegal. Here is a link I found of the Philips HID kit in the India site:

http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...p?id=1012984#0

Just because they are not commercially sold here doesn't mean they don't exist and that you can't get them. Just be careful, lots of fakes out there, be careful who you buy from if you're going to buy this kit. From what I know, Philips kits doesn't use amp connectors common in aftermarket kits. They use ket connectors, so if a Philips kit has amp connextors, dead giveaway it's fake.
Old 12-20-11, 05:34 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
They do in fact make HID kits. They are not listed on the US Philips site because they are not going to advertise something illegal in the US. But the kit is listed elsewhere like Japan, India where these kits are not illegal. Here is a link I found of the Philips HID kit in the India site:

http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...p?id=1012984#0

Just because they are not commercially sold here doesn't mean they don't exist and that you can't get them. Just be careful, lots of fakes out there, be careful who you buy from if you're going to buy this kit. From what I know, Philips kits doesn't use amp connectors common in aftermarket kits. They use ket connectors, so if a Philips kit has amp connextors, dead giveaway it's fake.

great to know. learned something new today
Old 12-20-11, 06:06 PM
nomi1030
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up h11?

Will be ordering the DDM slim kit for an 08 250...Just wanted to make sure for my low beams i should be buying a 35W H11 right? Probably gonna go with the 5K will be posting pics!!
Old 12-20-11, 10:20 PM
BeachPil0t
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like DDM seems to be pretty reliable, thanks so much for the input. If I order the slim kit, I was wondering what bulb and wattage?
Old 12-20-11, 11:25 PM
dillon1493
Driver School Candidate

for DDM kits you'll want to go with a 35W kit, H11 bulb size, obviously color is up to you. 5k is white with a blue tinge, 4500 is pure white, and 3k is yellow, if I remember right. I have 5k and my friend has 4500, I personally like mine better lol
Old 12-21-11, 08:18 AM
w0rtez
Rookie

Originally Posted by dillon1493
for DDM kits you'll want to go with a 35W kit, H11 bulb size, obviously color is up to you. 5k is white with a blue tinge, 4500 is pure white, and 3k is yellow, if I remember right. I have 5k and my friend has 4500, I personally like mine better lol
why not a 55W-H11? Does it brings any problems or something, i have seen around that they differ a bit on the color, 55W are little bit brighter...
Old 12-21-11, 12:06 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Aftermarket bulbs run hotter than OEM bulbs. 55W is just going to exacerbate the issue. 55W also shortens the bulb lifespan, as well as washes out the color. You also should run a relay harness. Brighter isn't always better; you need to consider other people on the road. If you want a real bright headlight setup, go retrofit. 55W PnP IMO isn't the right option to go.
Old 12-21-11, 12:35 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

I'm going to get the DDM kit in 5k. Anyone know some replacement fog light bulbs that would match the color on the DDM kit?
Old 12-21-11, 04:25 PM
BeachPil0t
Driver School Candidate

Thanks yeah I'm thinking 35W H11 5K kit for the low beams. What bulb is the fog light kit if I wanted to do those HID as well to match the headlights? And any better quality or reason to go with slim versus their regular?
Old 12-21-11, 05:00 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BeachPil0t
Thanks yeah I'm thinking 35W H11 5K kit for the low beams. What bulb is the fog light kit if I wanted to do those HID as well to match the headlights? And any better quality or reason to go with slim versus their regular?
What year is your IS? '06-'10 uses 9006 bulbs and '11+ uses H11 bulbs for the foglights.

Quick Reply: Best HID kit for 2IS?