IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

can a is350 motor swap into a is250

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-11, 10:54 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have experience with motorswaps? Can you even change timing belt on a motor? If you don't than I think you're about to bite more than you can chew. I predict this swap will go nowhere.
Old 12-23-11, 03:00 PM
AndysIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend has a shop i use i put a k24/k20 in my rsx but that was a clean swap just need motor mounts ecu the wiring was same transmission
Old 12-23-11, 03:02 PM
AndysIS
Driver

but i was told that the swap is not easy and i would need pretty much everything so ill probably just try to sell my car if not then i gata keep my car
Old 12-25-11, 06:12 AM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a straight swap, complete motor, transmission, and wireharness, ecu and maybe fuel pump.
Old 12-25-11, 06:54 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

I think 250 braks are smaller than 350 brakes. Then you have a problem of under powered brakes for the weight.
Old 12-25-11, 09:49 AM
IS250Vic
Driver

I would never consider swapping a 250 for a 350; the car would depreciate in value once you swap and it would cost way too much.

This isn't a honda, parts and install are not cheap on these cars.

If you decide to sell it, how are you going to explain the swap? When you sell, how are you going to convince the buyer that your IS250 w/ swap is a better buy compared to a 350 that was assembled in the factory? If you plan to sell the carin the near future at what a 250 usually goes for, you've just wasted all that money swapping motors...

I hate to sound rude but I am just being honest: If you have plans to sell in a couple years you'd just be flushing thousands of dollars down the toilet.

Go for a trade - there are ppl out there who perfer the AWD feature for the IS250 over the RWD 350 (myself being one of them )

You could always try and see if they're willing to trade too!! You may need to put down a couple thousand dollars (the amount it'd cost for the swap) but you get a car with the install done RIGHT along with other 350 accessories that you may not have on your car..

Don't forget to upgrade the brakes, as already mentioned.
Old 12-25-11, 11:57 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Just to add on top, there is always the 350 AWD.
Old 12-25-11, 12:48 PM
AndysIS
Driver

thanks for the responses but yea you guys are right , i did plan on keeping my car i just dont like the power of the is250 but i might just have to save and just trade my car in but wont the dealership give me prety much nothing for my car anyways leaving me with a bigger bill if i trade in sncie i owe on my car still
Old 12-25-11, 01:21 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

May I ask how old you are?
Old 12-25-11, 03:05 PM
IS250Vic
Driver

Originally Posted by AndysIS
thanks for the responses but yea you guys are right , i did plan on keeping my car i just dont like the power of the is250 but i might just have to save and just trade my car in but wont the dealership give me prety much nothing for my car anyways leaving me with a bigger bill if i trade in sncie i owe on my car still
Is this a lease? It all depends on how much you owe and such, hard to say without any solid numbers

At this point, you're gonna have to accept the fact that you will have to spend some money if u r wanting to upgrade your car.

Maybe you should have test driven both so that you don't have buyers remorse like you do now lol
Old 12-25-11, 07:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you'll get more $ selling it private party than trading it in of course... problem is that probably leaves you without a car for a little bit between when you sell yours and are able to buy the new one.
Old 12-25-11, 08:05 PM
AndysIS
Driver

Originally Posted by Keppie
May I ask how old you are?
19 i know my spelling errors are bad haha
but yea i talked to my sister i will probably just have to wait till summer to trade it in or sell by then but i never sold a car before how does it work does someone usly borrow money from the bank or something or do they do payments to pay it off? cause if the 2013 is350 looks nice i might just want that snice its a new look and motor and comes out around the time i can get rid of my car
Old 12-25-11, 08:20 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

19 i know my spelling errors are bad haha
but yea i talked to my sister i will probably just have to wait till summer to trade it in or sell by then but i never sold a car before how does it work does someone usly borrow money from the bank or something or do they do payments to pay it off? cause if the 2013 is350 looks nice i might just want that snice its a new look and motor and comes out around the time i can get rid of my car
are you not making payments on your car? same concept. Get a loan from a bank, and make monthly payments for 3-6 years whatever payment plan you were set up with to pay off the remaining balance of the loan.Best bet is to list your car on auto trader cars.com or craigslist to sell it
Old 12-25-11, 09:33 PM
AndysIS
Driver

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
are you not making payments on your car? same concept. Get a loan from a bank, and make monthly payments for 3-6 years whatever payment plan you were set up with to pay off the remaining balance of the loan.Best bet is to list your car on auto trader cars.com or craigslist to sell it
i owe about 7k left so i should have it paid off by then but do any of you guys have a is350 that you drive in the snow i heard that a good set of snow tires will do the job but have you guys experienced driving a is350 rwd in the snow?
Old 12-26-11, 07:16 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

The same project as me. But finally end up with Supercharger due to the problem of ...

Quick Reply: can a is350 motor swap into a is250