llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

this is some fracked up sheet~
Old 12-20-11, 10:08 AM
starknight
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is crazy, lucky that all you guys are ok. Cars look like are all totaled >.<
Old 12-20-11, 10:10 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! Glad no one was killed. I'm surprised the drunk in the Tercel survived the head-on. Those things are ****boxes.

Was this in Miami? I just moved down from Orlando and I dropped my uninsured bodily injury coverage because it went up $100 or something for 6 months. I guess now I know why and I'd better reconsider... You can still claim the $10,000 no fault PIP but it looks like the property damage will be on your own insurance.
Old 12-20-11, 10:26 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. Glad you all are okay. I'd speak my mind about the drunk driver, but I'm a moderator now and have to keep things civil. Hope everything works out.
Old 12-20-11, 10:30 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I feel like buying a beater car so I'm not the next 2IS victim. Hope they shipped that kid back to wherever he's from, and insurance covers all and then some man!
Old 12-20-11, 10:34 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very sorry to see this, but glad you're OK.

Maybe you or someone else who's been in a situation like this can chime in on this question. I'm wondering if you're going to be "at fault" for hitting your friend's car from behind. Now, logic and all things reasonable would say "Of course not, there was a drunk driver and I slammed on the brakes but there wasn't enough time". And personally, I would agree with that.

But I've heard and read that pretty much no matter what, if you rear-end someone, that aspect of the damage is your fault. The reasoning is that no matter what happens to the person in front of you, you should be traveling at a distance far enough back that you can safely stop.

I've never been in an accident that's tested this, so I don't know, but I'm sure others have. So will the rear-ending of the friend's car be technically the OP's "fault" according to the insurance company?
Old 12-20-11, 10:42 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Problem is here that even if you take the illegal to court to sue for damages, what could he possibly have that is worth of value? Unless he has a family landscaping company in his name, then you can get something.

I hate to see this...but you should seek advice from a lawyer if you have not already.
Old 12-20-11, 10:46 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad everyone walked away with only minor injuries! It definitely could have been a lot worse, and drunk drivers FTL I hope that guy gets locked up for a bit.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Very sorry to see this, but glad you're OK.

But I've heard and read that pretty much no matter what, if you rear-end someone, that aspect of the damage is your fault. The reasoning is that no matter what happens to the person in front of you, you should be traveling at a distance far enough back that you can safely stop.

I've never been in an accident that's tested this, so I don't know, but I'm sure others have. So will the rear-ending of the friend's car be technically the OP's "fault" according to the insurance company?
If they can prove that you rear ended the other person because you were not keeping enough of a distance, then yes they can. For example, if you are in the middle of 2 cars, and you get rear ended and get pushed into the car in front of you, its usually your fault. Even though you got rear ended, if you didn't keep enough of a distance to avoid hitting the car in front of you, its on you. But this also depends on how fast you get hit, if the guy behind you is going 60mph when he rear ends you at a dead stop, insurance isn't going to expect you to not hit the car in front of you - and in those cases you shouldn't be at fault for hitting the car in front of you.

In this case, i would think OP would not be at fault. Looks like the Mazda was in a head on collision, so the car would have stopped all of a sudden (And possibly even pushed backwards)...giving OP not much time to react and slow down even if he was keeping a distance.
Old 12-20-11, 11:00 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
...I've never been in an accident that's tested this, so I don't know, but I'm sure others have. So will the rear-ending of the friend's car be technically the OP's "fault" according to the insurance company?
Good question, we know if you rear end someone its always your fault, but this is a case of a headon and the car infront coming to dead stop in a heartbeat... regardless i get the feeling OP's insurance will have to pay for his own car.
Old 12-20-11, 11:02 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Glad to hear that you were able to walk away from the accident with only minor injuries. Like other members have said, cars can be easily replaced, the life of a person can't be replaced.

The person would be deported but probably end up sneaking back into the country again. Which is just terrible.

Hope everything works out for you. This being the holiday season, let's all celebrate but don't drink and drive.
Old 12-20-11, 11:06 AM
birador
Lead Lap

the sad part is the cars but atleast you get out without major injuries.
Old 12-20-11, 11:18 AM
thango
Driver School Candidate

Glad you're okay, it could've been a lot worse. What happened to the driver of the Tercel?
Old 12-20-11, 11:34 AM
syndrax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Toymota
Damn! Glad no one was killed. I'm surprised the drunk in the Tercel survived the head-on. Those things are ****boxes.

Was this in Miami? I just moved down from Orlando and I dropped my uninsured bodily injury coverage because it went up $100 or something for 6 months. I guess now I know why and I'd better reconsider... You can still claim the $10,000 no fault PIP but it looks like the property damage will be on your own insurance.
Yes it was in Miami. It happend on SW 117 AVE between SW 88th ST and SW 104th ST.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Glad everyone walked away with only minor injuries! It definitely could have been a lot worse, and drunk drivers FTL I hope that guy gets locked up for a bit.

If they can prove that you rear ended the other person because you were not keeping enough of a distance, then yes they can. For example, if you are in the middle of 2 cars, and you get rear ended and get pushed into the car in front of you, its usually your fault. Even though you got rear ended, if you didn't keep enough of a distance to avoid hitting the car in front of you, its on you. But this also depends on how fast you get hit, if the guy behind you is going 60mph when he rear ends you at a dead stop, insurance isn't going to expect you to not hit the car in front of you - and in those cases you shouldn't be at fault for hitting the car in front of you.

In this case, i would think OP would not be at fault. Looks like the Mazda was in a head on collision, so the car would have stopped all of a sudden (And possibly even pushed backwards)...giving OP not much time to react and slow down even if he was keeping a distance.
Pretty much exactly how you said it. I was a safe distance behind, but the Madza 3 was pushed back. It happened way too quick. I remember trying to stop and then the airbags deploying. My driver door was jammed, it was almost impossible to get out of the car.

Originally Posted by thango
Glad you're okay, it could've been a lot worse. What happened to the driver of the Tercel?
The driver of the Tercel was given a breathalyzer, I believe his alcohol level was .242. Then was arrested. I haven't heard anything about him so far. The officer at the scene told me he was completely drunk and will be deported back to Mexico. He's probably sitting in jail right now.
Old 12-20-11, 11:56 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Very sorry to hear about this. Illegal or not, the dude was worthless for getting behind the wheel in an intoxicated state. I hear about/see this happen way too often (douchebags driving drunk), and it's sad that they are ruining others' lives by idiotic decision-making on their part. OK - I'll get off my soapbox now, but be thankful this Holiday Season, as anytime you can walk away from an accident (especially one which you've personally come face-to-face with an airbag or 2), it's a win on your part. Hell, it's not just a win, it's like throwing a perfect game!

Happy holidays to all, and be safe out there!
Old 12-20-11, 12:22 PM
Vipor
Rookie

I was in an accident a while back in which I was heading down the road heading to work in the morning. It had just rained overnight so the streets were still wet. I'm getting close to the next light (out about maybe 200 yards or so) and there's a car sitting at the light on both lanes. As expected, I start slowing down as I get closer to the light. Out at about 100 yards or so, the light turns green. I am on the outside lane. As the light turns green, I see the car on the inside lane move on and cross the street. The car on the outside lane is still at a dead stop. I am still rolling maybe doing 15 or 18 mph or so. As I get closer to the intersection (about 75 yards or so) , I keep thinking "move on lady. Didn't you see the light turn green or the car next to you move?". As I get even closer (50 yards or so), I'm thinking HELLO!!!..... By the time I realize this car aint moving and I hit the breaks, it's too late. With a wet street, my SUV skids right into her backend.

Cop said it's my fault. I tell him, this car is at a dead stop at an intersection with a green light. He says, the car could have been having problems. I said, I did not see any flashers blinking to indicate car having issues. He said could have been a dead battery. I said, I did not see an open hood to indicate car having issues. He said, it does not matter. A rear end hit is an automatic failure to control speed. I stopped arguing at that point. May as well suck it up and move on with the day.

Just sharing MY experience... :-)

Glad you came out if that accident ok.

Quick Reply: Please Don't Drink and Drive