Learning curve stuck... can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 08:52 AM
sung3d
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Learning curve stuck... can't figure it out

Hi I am still newbie here.
Just got my pre-owned 2010 IS 250 AWD few weeks ago and received owner's manual book last night. So I've been studying crazy about features and customization on my IS lately.
And I still can figure out a few things and here is the list.

1. My Outer foot lights (the light at the bottom of the side mirrors) seems not turning on.
What is the setting to turn it on? At night? Sensor? Toggle switch? I never seen it turned on since I had the car.

2. Supposedly you can lower all windows and open moon roof by holding the unlock button on your key fob. But when I tried nothing happens. Is there something I am missing?

3. In the morning, I start the engine and wanted to lock the door and go back in the house and get other stuff while the car is warming up. And it seems like I can't lock the door when the engine is running (key fob in my pocket). Does anyone know how to lock the car while engine running?

There are few other features that I like to change but the manual says "bring the car to the dealership and they can do it with special device"
Seriously? You need to bring your IS every time you want to change settings for little things?

Hopefully one day I will be helpful and share knowledge to fellow CL members like all you guys!
Thank you always!
Old 12-22-11, 09:28 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

2. Lexus Personal Settings (LPS) - you need to take it to the dealer to "reprogram" your settings

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/IS_LPS.pdf
Old 12-22-11, 09:50 AM
is_baby
Lead Lap

3. I don't believe you can cuz I've tried and it doesn't work for me either
Old 12-22-11, 06:29 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sung3d
1. My Outer foot lights (the light at the bottom of the side mirrors) seems not turning on. What is the setting to turn it on? At night? Sensor? Toggle switch? I never seen it turned on since I had the car.

2. Supposedly you can lower all windows and open moon roof by holding the unlock button on your key fob. But when I tried nothing happens. Is there something I am missing?

3. In the morning, I start the engine and wanted to lock the door and go back in the house and get other stuff while the car is warming up. And it seems like I can't lock the door when the engine is running (key fob in my pocket). Does anyone know how to lock the car while engine running?

There are few other features that I like to change but the manual says "bring the car to the dealership and they can do it with special device"
Seriously? You need to bring your IS every time you want to change settings for little things?
1. They only turn on when you get close with the key fob (3-5') and the doors are locked.
2. I think it's dealer programmed.
3. My car warms up in about 5 minutes of driving (with seat heater turned on). It's actually pretty wasteful and unnecessary to warm your car up as long as you don't plan on gunning it the first few minutes of driving.

Is it a certified pre-owned? If so, you should get one free settings adjustment at the dealer. Otherwise they charge like $50-$100.
Old 12-22-11, 06:45 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

for question number 2 I can confirm the dealer does program it.
Old 12-22-11, 08:32 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
3. My car warms up in about 5 minutes of driving (with seat heater turned on). It's actually pretty wasteful and unnecessary to warm your car up as long as you don't plan on gunning it the first few minutes of driving.
I agree. They actually have anti-idle laws where I live, trying to educate people against this kind of wasteful and unnecessary practice.
Old 12-22-11, 08:36 PM
sung3d
Rookie

Thanks guys!

1. Problem solved!
I checked and found out that outer foot light was on when I approached to my IS 250. So it works. I just didn't noticed. However when I pressed "Door" button in the top center interior light console area, outer foot light won't work. So it needs to be "ON" position for this feature enabled I guess.

2. Yeah, I guess I can't do this myself and need to bring it to the dealer. What a hassle

3. I've been warming up all my previous cars in the morning especially during winter time but it's not so necessary I guess since I drive very gentle for first 5-10 min anyways.
But it's always good to have a warm car ready to take off when you get in. And I was considering remote starter but it seems too expensive and don't want to mess with my security system neither. Just had remote starter installed for my wife's CRV last week and it's been very useful though. It will be much more appreciated on those freezing snowy days I think.

Again, thanks all who replied and happy holidays!

Last edited by sung3d; 12-22-11 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 08:45 PM
sung3d
Rookie

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I agree. They actually have anti-idle laws where I live, trying to educate people against this kind of wasteful and unnecessary practice.
Is it really unnecessary?
Because I've been keep hearing that you want to warm up your engine on cold days before you start driving. And there was a huge difference when I was driving my Prelude with / without warming up.
But I guess with recent technology it's not so necessary to warm up your engine????
Old 12-22-11, 09:38 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Semi-thread jack:

Anyone know how to program the car to lock all doors when going faster than 13mph?? Or is that dealer change only option? thanks.
Old 12-22-11, 09:46 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neomedic
Semi-thread jack:

Anyone know how to program the car to lock all doors when going faster than 13mph?? Or is that dealer change only option? thanks.
The dealership needs to do it since it's done through TechStream.
Old 12-23-11, 05:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sung3d
Is it really unnecessary?
Because I've been keep hearing that you want to warm up your engine on cold days before you start driving. And there was a huge difference when I was driving my Prelude with / without warming up.
But I guess with recent technology it's not so necessary to warm up your engine????
By far the best way to "warm up" a car is to drive it.

idling is one of the worst things you can do to a car engine- in fact in your owners manual it includes "excessive idling" as a cause to consider the car under "severe duty" for oil change intervals.
(there's been a couple other threads that explain the technical reasons why it's bad if you care to search for it)

Start the car, put on your seat belt, drive it
Old 12-23-11, 06:27 AM
sung3d
Rookie

Thanks Kurtz!
Old 12-23-11, 09:15 PM
sung3d
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomedic
Semi-thread jack:

Originally Posted by Sango
The dealership needs to do it since it's done through TechStream.
Someone correct if I am wrong but I think you can change the setting yourself.
I haven't tried this yet but sounds like it will work.
Basically, you hold unlock button & count to 5 (in either P or N) then toggle through.
But it's really confusing that you need to read them carefully and try yourself.

It's on the owner's manual page 41 or try this link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/1911047-post26.html

I am getting surprised that there are so many features that I didn't realized
ie. The side mirror will rotate downwards when gear is in R position with mirror control not in the middle.
Love my IS!