IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Back at it again, Buying an IS350 NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-11, 12:22 AM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus reliability more better than Infinity. You can get '07 350 with a plane fin
Old 12-26-11, 08:54 PM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i really love the 350 and it is most likely what i am going to choose; thank you everyone.! now finding one will be difficult but all the fun i guess
Old 12-27-11, 12:47 AM
HSTexan
Driver

From those three cars, the IS350 would provide the least amount of headaches; you'll obviously get a lot of those responses seeing as you're asking this on a Lexus forum. When you say finish school in 2016, I'm assuming you're referring to college? Let me preface the rest of this post, by just saying this is my own opinion and you are free to spend your money as you choose. If you're still 4 years from finishing school, and you'll suddenly be coming into a large sum of money, I would guess inheritance (perhaps a trust that becomes available to you at a certain age)? Either way, being ~18 years old the last thing on your mind I'd hope is buying a "luxury sport sedan." If $20,000 is your limit (even plus or minus a few thousand) I'm not entirely sure you're preparing yourself for the costs of a car purchase. The 2IS is a reliable car, but that does not mean every car is alike. If you happen to buy one that ends up needing servicing at some point, be prepared to fork over some cash to get it fixed. Gas, insurance, taxes on purchase all add up.

College campuses are not great places to have cars...especially nice ones. You'll be driving around and parking with a bunch of other kids who might not care about their cars as much, or don't care what their 1985 Explorer looks like and you can be damn sure a lot of them won't have the decency to leave any sort of note if they do something to your car when you're not around.

I guess at the root of all this you really need to figure out what you need. Who do you share your car with? Parent? Sibling? Could you not offer to buy off the car from a parent to use for the next 4 years until you finish school and then sell it to another person or family member? Why do you say you NEED your own car? Would you really want to spend all this money now, or wouldn't it be a more prudent investment to perhaps put this money into savings? Talk to your parents, perhaps look into getting a financial advisor to manage the money for you. Invest it so that when you are done with school you can buy the car you want and have some left over for a down payment on a house, pay off some student loans, or perhaps just have a rainy day fund in case times ever get tough. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you need to spend it now. It sounds like you are still quite young...I remember being young too. There were a lot of things I wanted back then; I'm sure you're wanting a new car very badly, but in 4 years when you finish school your 2IS may depreciate to half of what you paid for it and that lump of money you got is going to be diminished to nothing. Or demonstrate some patience, let your money work for you while you finish school so that when you graduate you'll possess and advantage many other kids won't have. You'd be leaps and bounds ahead of most everyone else you will graduate with.

Last edited by HSTexan; 12-27-11 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-28-11, 01:26 PM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Originally Posted by btmar
From those three cars, the IS350 would provide the least amount of headaches; you'll obviously get a lot of those responses seeing as you're asking this on a Lexus forum. When you say finish school in 2016, I'm assuming you're referring to college? Let me preface the rest of this post, by just saying this is my own opinion and you are free to spend your money as you choose. If you're still 4 years from finishing school, and you'll suddenly be coming into a large sum of money, I would guess inheritance (perhaps a trust that becomes available to you at a certain age)? Either way, being ~18 years old the last thing on your mind I'd hope is buying a "luxury sport sedan." If $20,000 is your limit (even plus or minus a few thousand) I'm not entirely sure you're preparing yourself for the costs of a car purchase. The 2IS is a reliable car, but that does not mean every car is alike. If you happen to buy one that ends up needing servicing at some point, be prepared to fork over some cash to get it fixed. Gas, insurance, taxes on purchase all add up.

College campuses are not great places to have cars...especially nice ones. You'll be driving around and parking with a bunch of other kids who might not care about their cars as much, or don't care what their 1985 Explorer looks like and you can be damn sure a lot of them won't have the decency to leave any sort of note if they do something to your car when you're not around.

I guess at the root of all this you really need to figure out what you need. Who do you share your car with? Parent? Sibling? Could you not offer to buy off the car from a parent to use for the next 4 years until you finish school and then sell it to another person or family member? Why do you say you NEED your own car? Would you really want to spend all this money now, or wouldn't it be a more prudent investment to perhaps put this money into savings? Talk to your parents, perhaps look into getting a financial advisor to manage the money for you. Invest it so that when you are done with school you can buy the car you want and have some left over for a down payment on a house, pay off some student loans, or perhaps just have a rainy day fund in case times ever get tough. Just because you have the money doesn't mean you need to spend it now. It sounds like you are still quite young...I remember being young too. There were a lot of things I wanted back then; I'm sure you're wanting a new car very badly, but in 4 years when you finish school your 2IS may depreciate to half of what you paid for it and that lump of money you got is going to be diminished to nothing. Or demonstrate some patience, let your money work for you while you finish school so that when you graduate you'll possess and advantage many other kids won't have. You'd be leaps and bounds ahead of most everyone else you will graduate with.
yup, got this mind frame before reading this. I do infact need a car, my mother leases a Camry and we all share it (all - me sister and mom). This is not a trust fund rather its an insurance settlement. Anyway, I have realized it would be irresponsible to drop $20k on a Lexus, I am now looking into cheaper cars around $15k