IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LED turn signal questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-11, 09:45 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED turn signal questions

Hello. I was an active member here a few years ago when I had an LS400. I will soon acquire a 2007 IS250 and had some questions about converting the turn signals to LED which I didn't find answers to by searching.
1) Do I need amber bulbs for front and white for rear?
2) I see most people using 6ohm resistors for each bulb. Can I use one 12ohm resistor for each side? I figure adding the resistor in the rear would keep it cooler. 3) Since we are on the subject, would a resistor with a ceramic heat sink be better than aluminum?
Thanks!
PS-I loved the sense of community in the LS forum; it is something I am looking forward to with the IS.
Old 12-25-11, 10:46 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the front turn signals in the headlights of 06-10 were already LEDs?

Rear turn signals are regular bulbs, but the tail light housing has an orange lens so it doesn't really matter - no point in changing it to LED unless you have ISF tails - in which a LED bulb that blinks orange would look pretty sick..
Old 12-25-11, 11:13 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ Hmm i thought the front and rear turn signals were just standard bulbs.

1) According to CA law - white & amber are acceptable in the front. Amber & red are acceptable in the rear.

2 & 3) Not sure about resistors - someone else can answer that - all i know is those suckers get HOT
Old 12-25-11, 11:19 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
^^ Hmm i thought the front and rear turn signals were just standard bulbs.

1) According to CA law - white & amber are acceptable in the front. Amber & red are acceptable in the rear.

2 & 3) Not sure about resistors - someone else can answer that - all i know is those suckers get HOT
Hmm .. yeah I think you are right ...

Wen't to the sylvania website:

Front turn signal
992 (7440A)
992/7440AL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal
7440ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7440LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Last edited by GiantsFan; 12-25-11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-25-11, 11:27 PM
Kvs_350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are not led bulb. you can change all 4 of them but it will be SOB to do it. i asked the dealer installation guy and he said the easiest way will be access it throught the wheel liner. or you can take the whole bumper off. the LED are insert from the buttom of the headlight. For the load resistor if you are changing only the front 4 signal bulb get a 3OHM load resistor that is for 4 LED bulbs. but if you are changing all 6 of them then get one 3OHM and one 6OHM should be good. i perferr buying it from V-LEDS.com they have load resistor with the heat shield which i think is alot safer and the price is resonable too. OR you can go with the flasher which is just plug and play but the only thing is when you arm/disarm the car the signal bulb wont flash like before.
BTW if you are installing the load resistor i perferr you take the whole bumper off due to wiring the load resistor issue. good luckkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Old 12-26-11, 12:48 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just changed out my turn signals to LED. Instead of resistors, I just went with the flasher instead. It was much easier to swap out a flasher than splicing the wires. I also couldn't figure out what resistors to use. Most say 2 3 Ohm resistors for 4 LED bulbs but our cars have 6 bulbs so I didn't know which ones I needed. The front, you can do white or amber but depends on your state laws. The rear can be red, white, or amber since there's an amber lenses anyways. I put a red LED in the rear since I plan to upgrade to IS-F tails later on.
Old 12-26-11, 01:03 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

^do you have a video of them in action? (Front turn signals)
Old 12-26-11, 01:55 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it were, BC, Canada - its amber for turn signals regardless if front or back.

As for the flasher, I would recommend it over load resistors. VLED's has a flasher which would have the arm/disarm flash function however they are out of stock and have been like that for a while.

I am still waiting for myself to get JLC's newer (brighter) 54-SMD amber turn signal lights. There maybe a slim chance I maybe able to get away without the use of a load resistor/flasher if these lights can pull enough of load.
Old 12-26-11, 06:28 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

hey guys, I just bought the 2011 headlights and I am thinking to go for the LED turn signal front, the lights that came with the flasher relay, so is it ok to use that flasher relay that sewell sent me to work with the new LED turn signal? or I have to get extra resistor for the LED?
Old 12-26-11, 09:14 AM
Samieee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chi123
I just changed out my turn signals to LED. Instead of resistors, I just went with the flasher instead. It was much easier to swap out a flasher than splicing the wires. I also couldn't figure out what resistors to use. Most say 2 3 Ohm resistors for 4 LED bulbs but our cars have 6 bulbs so I didn't know which ones I needed. The front, you can do white or amber but depends on your state laws. The rear can be red, white, or amber since there's an amber lenses anyways. I put a red LED in the rear since I plan to upgrade to IS-F tails later on.
Is only 1 flasher relay needed for all bulbs? Or 1 for each bulb? Do the LEDs flash when you unlock / lock the car?
Old 12-26-11, 10:06 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ohiois350
hey guys, I just bought the 2011 headlights and I am thinking to go for the LED turn signal front, the lights that came with the flasher relay, so is it ok to use that flasher relay that sewell sent me to work with the new LED turn signal? or I have to get extra resistor for the LED?
The one Sewell sent you is the stock flasher which HID/LED daytime lamp uses, so no it will not work.

In my previous post, I'm hoping the 54-SMD lights I get can pull enough power such that it will work with the stock relay without the use of modifications.

Originally Posted by Samieee
Is only 1 flasher relay needed for all bulbs? Or 1 for each bulb? Do the LEDs flash when you unlock / lock the car?
One flasher relay controls all.

Last edited by Sango; 12-26-11 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 10:17 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=Sango;6905376]The one Sewell sent you is the stock flasher which HID/LED daytime lamp uses, so no it will not work.

In my previous post, I'm hopding the 54-SMD lights I get can pull enouhg power such that it will work with the stock relay without the use of modifications.

Sango, like you said if I buy the 54smd led for turn signal that would work with the flasher relay that sewell sent me? no more else? thanks
Old 12-26-11, 10:24 AM
Samieee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sango

One flasher relay controls all.
Would it be possible to just change the rear signals, keep the stock fronts, and use a LED flasher? Would the LED flasher disrupt the function of the stock front signals?
Old 12-26-11, 02:29 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Sango, like you said if I buy the 54smd led for turn signal that would work with the flasher relay that sewell sent me? no more else? thanks
I cannot say for sure because I have not tested them because they are still on back order. I am basing the assumption is that the more SMD LED's on the bulb, the more the power draw. If the power draws is enough such that the flasher relay does not register that there is a burned out light, it will function approprately and not hyper blink.

I recall reading a while ago that a person said he had change his turn singlas to LED and did not have a problem - in this case since his was a 2010 or earlier and therefore changed all 6.

Would it be possible to just change the rear signals, keep the stock fronts, and use a LED flasher? Would the LED flasher disrupt the function of the stock front signals?
Yes, you can operate it this way as well but it may look a bit awkward with the mismatch of not switching the fronts while switching the rears.

Last edited by Sango; 12-26-11 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 03:22 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, LED flashers can accommodate both types of bulbs. Right now, only my fronts are LEDs, the rear bulbs were shipped later and are still coming in the mail right now. All bulbs will flash at the same rate even with stock and LED bulbs mixed together.

One flasher is all that is needed regardless of how many bulbs you can out. The factory flasher is behind the panels under the steering wheel. All you do is disconnect it, dismount it, and replace with the new flasher.

You DO lose the signals when you lock or unlock the doors, as I did. However, there is a newer model CF-19 Toyota flasher that will keep the factory feature but I can't find a place that sells it. I got the old, and more common CF-18 model. Cost me $16. Resistors alone cost like $9 a set so it'll be $18 for the resistors when $16 gets you a flasher, which is better IMO.

Quick Reply: LED turn signal questions