IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 07:19 AM
skelow401
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seafoams website says you do not need to change the oil or spark plugs after using this product. Its alot safer than most people think.
Old 01-14-12, 07:20 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skelow401
Seafoams website says you do not need to change the oil or spark plugs after using this product. Its alot safer than most people think.
Except to the neighborhood mosquitos.
Old 01-14-12, 12:51 PM
twenty
Pole Position

Just put 1/3 of the can in the vacuum line and the rest in the gas tank!
Old 01-14-12, 12:57 PM
LexUser85
Driver

^^Im with this guy!
Old 01-14-12, 01:00 PM
LexUser85
Driver

So yesterday I put one third in the vac line and the rest in the gastank and let it sit for about 5 minutes like the directions say. I got NO smoke at all. I read that usually means that there is no carbon buildup but i know thats impossible..I have 104k on my car so there HAS to be some sort of buildup somewhere. But I did notice a difference with acceleration and idle..
Old 01-14-12, 01:59 PM
1sicktl06
Driver School Candidate

This product is awesome.!!!
Old 01-16-12, 12:35 AM
athsndlvs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skelow401
Seafoams website says you do not need to change the oil or spark plugs after using this product. Its a lot safer than most people think.
Yes seafoam is a safe product however, there is a chance with higher mileage engines that you will have some seafoam blow by the rings and get back into the oil so I would advise that you do your full seafoam treatment a day or two before you are going to change your oil.

As APynckel said; water/meth injection is a good idea. Can make a huge difference on forced induction applications especially once you've heatsoaked your intercooler.
Old 01-24-12, 05:53 PM
dgsx1997
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone resolved symptoms of carbon build up with the Seafoam treatment in the IS250? I don't have any symptoms but believe this could be good preventative maintenance to perform.
Old 01-24-12, 06:53 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsx1997
Has anyone resolved symptoms of carbon build up with the Seafoam treatment in the IS250? I don't have any symptoms but believe this could be good preventative maintenance to perform.
The problem is going to be getting the product where the problem is. Those of us with 2.5 liter engines have direct injection, the carbon buildup is on the intake valves. The gasoline is injected directly into the cylinder instead of in the air intake system like most cars.

You'll have to get the product into the air stream somehow. I saw mention of the" vacuum line" method of introducing the product into the engine perhaps that would work.
Old 01-24-12, 08:27 PM
dgsx1997
Driver School Candidate

I'm aware of the benefits being introduced to the gas. I wouldn't use sea foam for this purpose with the exception of the left overs after being inserted via the vac line.

All being said, I'd like to hear real world experiences in curing symptoms of carbon build up.
Old 01-24-12, 08:42 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this on my Gs recently. I poured half a bottle directly into the crankcase and the other half into the gas tank. Got the cops called on me because if the smoke lol. The idle was never rough so the only improvements i? Experienced are better gas mileage.
Old 01-24-12, 08:55 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Hmm, interesting and perfect timing.

I need to change front rotors, pads, bleed brakes, oil change and spark plugs.
Old 01-25-12, 12:27 AM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

You pour it into the oil as well. It helps there as well. I wouldn't worry about "blow by".

Originally Posted by athsndlvs
Yes seafoam is a safe product however, there is a chance with higher mileage engines that you will have some seafoam blow by the rings and get back into the oil so I would advise that you do your full seafoam treatment a day or two before you are going to change your oil.

As APynckel said; water/meth injection is a good idea. Can make a huge difference on forced induction applications especially once you've heatsoaked your intercooler.
Old 01-25-12, 06:14 AM
dgsx1997
Driver School Candidate

Poring it into your oil cleans your lower end and pouring it into the gas tank helps with the fuel system. I think these applications are well known and practiced since the introduction of seafoam. There are hundreds of fuel cleaners and hundred of snake oils meant to go into the oil hence an overall lack of concern for this use.

Again, has anyone used this for the purpose of Carbon Build up and what were your results?
Introduction into your vac line may only clean the upper part of the intake valve and the area that resides in the cylinder which makes me feel that this might not clean the exhaust valves in their entirety.
Old 01-25-12, 08:52 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsx1997
Again, has anyone used this for the purpose of Carbon Build up and what were your results?
Introduction into your vac line may only clean the upper part of the intake valve and the area that resides in the cylinder which makes me feel that this might not clean the exhaust valves in their entirety.
x2 Curious about results. Someone with a boroscope needs to do a before/after. :-)

I would not expect Seafoam to do anything for exhaust valves, really. Then again, I have not heard of any complaints about carbon buildup on exhaust valves. Only intake valves.

Quick Reply: Seafoam