Would you consider this car totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 09:25 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
a impact head on like that? theres no way the frame didn't take any of it
Umm... frame sits low, the rails are by the wheels - not by the headlamps. This car needs a new fender/hood/bumpers/lights/rad support/rad/windsheild/airbags and paint and it would be on its way.

This is nothing compared to some of the cars i've seen in the past that got fixed - you wouldn't tell the difference...

Not totalled, IMO

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Pretty much anything can be repaired, and if it's being done properly, it will drive right again. Finding someone that can actually properly repair a car with significant frame damage can be pretty tough though. Most places won't get it right, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. It's just often times significantly cost prohibitive to repair the car.

But in this case, it actually doesn't look all that bad. Most of the damage is up pretty high, so the frame might not be too badly damaged. That being said, I wouldn't think any estimates/quotes should be getting thrown around without an estimator doing up a complete estimate. Sounds odd.

Jeff
^^This.
Old 12-26-11, 09:37 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think they can fix it for 15k. Ask for the 2011 headlights when they fix it.
Old 12-26-11, 09:46 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think you need to check that body shop, are you ignoring the fact that you've never heard from the adjuster? I'd start there. Good luck.
Old 12-26-11, 09:47 PM
ISPanda
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
Don't forget that you have the right to have your car repaired at the shop of your choice. You don't have to have it repaired at the shop the insurance company picked.
Thats actually a California specific Law... I'm not sure if they have that law in Miami...

But yea, the frame looks like its dented a tad.. that car is for sure gonna be jacked up..
Old 12-26-11, 09:47 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you are allowed to say who fixes your car. I would have it hauled to a Lexus dealer...
Old 12-27-11, 12:01 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

Hi

I've been through this before , had an accident very very similar to yours , 4 airbags deployed , and MINOR chassis damage , Engine 100% clean , the hit was very low thats why engine was ok but chassis took a slight bent to the right .

anyway the car was fixed in a shop that has a reputation for fixing this kind of accidents, and tbh doesn't feel different at all .

so is it fixable ? Definately yes , I did it because I didn't have any other choice , I had a damaged car and 8000$ in my hand from insurance .

the car right now :

Old 12-27-11, 12:44 AM
tBayBoi20
Driver

Originally Posted by 98023IS250
I believe you are allowed to say who fixes your car. I would have it hauled to a Lexus dealer...
if this is true, it is EXACTLY what I would be doing.
Old 12-27-11, 05:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tBayBoi20
if this is true, it is EXACTLY what I would be doing.
You have the right to have the car repaired at a body shop of your choice.
Ask around and see if someone can recommend a good shop.
A Lexus body shop may not be as good as an independent shop but if you don't get any recommendations,go Lexus shop.
Old 12-27-11, 07:01 AM
AKhanis350
Driver

Originally Posted by syndrax
I'll just get to the point...

After a horrible car accident, the insurance company transported my car to one of their body shops. They valued the car at 30K (Even though it definitely isn't), and offered the body shop 15K to fix the car. The adjuster still hasn't seen the car, but according to them, they can repair it for 15K.

Personally, I know this car will never drive the same again. They kept explaining that everything will look exactly how it was, even though I kept saying it will definitely not drive the same.

This week they are taking apart the car to see if it'll exceed the 15K limit the insurance company has given them and only then can they mark the car as total, but from their PoV, it won't.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think 15K will cover parts and labor. Is there anything I can do to get the insurance to consider this car a total?

Note: All the front airbags are deployed and the windscreen is cracked.

It is a 2010 IS250.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. Car go towed to an "approved" body shop where their adjusters said it was fixable. What you have to understand at this point is that that only way the "approved" body shop will make money is if they fix the car. If they total it they wont make any money, so their decision is biased. When i realized this i towed the car to another reputable dealership of my choice and had them look at it and then requested an insurance adjuster come look at. In the end they TOTALED the car. My car was 2009 Acura TL Type-S with 6k miles on it... so i was in the same boat as you are... I hope you have GAP insurance!
Old 12-27-11, 07:02 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Look at that bonnet. If this is not totalled I don't know what is ? Why don't you damage it some more on the engine compartment to total it , Sorry for sounding so evil.
Old 12-27-11, 07:52 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPanda

But yea, the frame looks like its dented a tad.. that car is for sure gonna be jacked up..
How can you tell? I can't see the frame unless I'm not looking at it right. Where is it dented?

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Look at that bonnet. If this is not totalled I don't know what is ? Why don't you damage it some more on the engine compartment to total it , Sorry for sounding so evil.
Oooo! A fraud suggestion? Not cool.
Old 12-27-11, 07:54 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO that engine looks like its no longer properly sitting.
Old 12-27-11, 07:59 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPanda
Thats actually a California specific Law... I'm not sure if they have that law in Miami...

Not California specific, the only thing the insurance company will tell you is that they will not warranty the repairs. That's why when you go this route make sure you take it to some one you know will do a good job and that you've dealt with before.

syndrax: I can recoment a really good body shop. He's worked on all of my families cars and friends cars and they have all been very satisfied with his work. If you are interested let me know and I can give you the contact information. Here is a rundown on the repairs hes done.

My IS (twice one for a minor rear end tap and another two months ago)
mothers inlaws rav4
father inlaws nissan rouge
many of my sisters car (she's accident prone) lol
and many of my friends whom a couple of own IS's so he has experience with our cars.

Ohh and he'll probably with work with you if you want OEM parts as the insurance company will pay for aftermarket.
Old 12-27-11, 08:49 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Not California specific, the only thing the insurance company will tell you is that they will not warranty the repairs.
My experience (my car was hit and the person had coverage with Progressive) is that Progressive will warranty the repairs for 10 years on any kind of paint issues, installation issues, etc. and I have that in writing. You have to take it to one of their authorized repair shops which also so happened to be a place that I wanted to take it to in the first place. I actually tested that warranty and brought back the vehicle because the bumper was starting to rust where the drill hole was for the back up sensors. It was repaired promptly, no questions asked.
Old 12-27-11, 09:07 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
My experience (my car was hit and the person had coverage with Progressive) is that Progressive will warranty the repairs for 10 years on any kind of paint issues, installation issues, etc. and I have that in writing. You have to take it to one of their authorized repair shops which also so happened to be a place that I wanted to take it to in the first place. I actually tested that warranty and brought back the vehicle because the bumper was starting to rust where the drill hole was for the back up sensors. It was repaired promptly, no questions asked.
That is true but if the body shop you choose is not one of their approved shop then they will not warranty the repair.

Also the part about taking the car back after many years is also true. My wife had her car repaired back when she had Statefarm. The clear is now pealing and the hood has rust spots state farm is covering the repairs again.

Quick Reply: Would you consider this car totaled?