IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Would you consider this car totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-11, 09:12 AM
Boostd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your bad luck. It looks repairable. Like somebody said most damage is up high in hood and looks head on so doubtful it has any side to side frame damage. But as we know, these parts are expensive. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-27-11, 04:16 PM
syndrax
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll just be waiting and see what happens and I'll let you guys know what they end up doing.
Old 12-27-11, 07:31 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

maybe you can try to get a lawyer on this, you will get more than just 15k
Old 12-27-11, 07:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure you ask for OEM replacement parts wherever your asking for an estimate, that alone will be a pretty penny. All those front end parts along with the airbags are not cheap - even more so if they all have to be Lexus OEM.

Originally Posted by starknight
maybe you can try to get a lawyer on this, you will get more than just 15k
And you'll lose a lot to the lawyer too lol
Old 12-27-11, 08:04 PM
birador
Lead Lap

there's a lot of factors insurance determine if its totaled or still repairable,but the real deal is they will make anything just to save money,here some notes that i read with regards to your concern on "How to Determine if a Car Is Totaled"

A car that has been in an auto accident is considered "totaled" when the cost to repair it is more than the maximum value the insurance company will pay. This value is no more than the resale value of the car just prior to the accident but may be less depending on your insurance policy. If the car is determined to be totaled, the insurance company will pay you the maximum for the car and you can use that money to purchase a new vehicle. It is often the better outcome for the car to be declared totaled, because a rebuilt car may not be as safe as it was before the accident. To determine if your car has been totaled, you will need a qualified mechanic and a copy of your insurance policy.
Related Searches:

Instructions

1 Receive an estimate from your mechanic of the cost to repair the car. The mechanic will also determine if the car can be repaired to a road safe condition. If it cannot, the car will be considered totaled.
2 Check your insurance policy for what percentage of the car's value the cost of repairs must exceed before the car is totaled. This can range from 51 to 90 percent of the car's actual value.
3 Check the current retail value of your car using Kelly Blue Book, NADA, and/or edmunds.com. Comparing multiple sites will give you a more accurate view of your car's value.
4 Multiply the percentage from Step 3 by your estimated value of your car. For example, if your car is worth $3,400 and your insurance company considers a car totaled if repairs cost more than 70 percent of the value, then $3,400 x 0.70 = $2,380.
5 Compare the result from the Step 5 to the repair cost estimate. If it is larger than the repair cost then the car is considered totaled. Continuing the example, if the repairs were estimated at $2,500, then the example car would be considered totaled, because the cost is more than $2,380. If the amount is close, you may wish to have a "tear down" done on your car. This means the mechanic will remove damaged parts to determine if there is underlying damage that could not been seen before. This can result in a higher repair estimate, making it easier for the car to be declared totaled.

well good luck and hope for the best!
Old 12-27-11, 11:44 PM
Ill350
Driver School Candidate

that car looks crazy wrecked, i would be upset if my insurance didn't total it
Old 12-29-11, 10:10 AM
DaveXIX
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar crash to that and I just hit the total limit. There is a lot of expensive technology up there that costs a lot to repair so the chances of getting totaled are high IMO. Besides a car with that much damage is something you don't want to keep in the long run.

Question: Did your airbags go off?
Old 12-29-11, 10:30 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveXIX
I had a similar crash to that and I just hit the total limit. There is a lot of expensive technology up there that costs a lot to repair so the chances of getting totaled are high IMO. Besides a car with that much damage is something you don't want to keep in the long run.

Question: Did your airbags go off?
OP posted right above the first pic :

Note: All the front airbags are deployed and the windscreen is cracked.
Old 12-29-11, 12:45 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

It's not total to me but one pix is not enough to say it's total or not
Old 12-29-11, 04:22 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ouch man sry to hear..yea most insurance companys would total it from what i've been seeing lately