IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Would you consider this car totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 07:00 PM
syndrax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you consider this car totaled?

I'll just get to the point...

After a horrible car accident, the insurance company transported my car to one of their body shops. They valued the car at 30K (Even though it definitely isn't), and offered the body shop 15K to fix the car. The adjuster still hasn't seen the car, but according to them, they can repair it for 15K.

Personally, I know this car will never drive the same again. They kept explaining that everything will look exactly how it was, even though I kept saying it will definitely not drive the same.

This week they are taking apart the car to see if it'll exceed the 15K limit the insurance company has given them and only then can they mark the car as total, but from their PoV, it won't.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think 15K will cover parts and labor. Is there anything I can do to get the insurance to consider this car a total?

Note: All the front airbags are deployed and the windscreen is cracked.

It is a 2010 IS250.

Old 12-26-11, 07:05 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about the wreck, hope everyone was okay. As for the car it looks totaled to me.
Old 12-26-11, 07:05 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Definitely looks like your engine and chassis ate some of that impact as well. I'm surprised they didn't total it. But If a insurance adjuster has yet to look at the car how would your insurance company make any offers to a body shop?
Old 12-26-11, 07:09 PM
syndrax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Definitely looks like your engine and chassis ate some of that impact as well. I'm surprised they didn't total it. But If a insurance adjuster has yet to look at the car how would your insurance company make any offers to a body shop?
This I'm definitely confused about. I had to go today to the body shop to sign a paper stating they can look at the car, but I never got a call from the adjuster, just the body shop.
Old 12-26-11, 07:09 PM
NastyIS
Driver

I agree, looks like you're gonna have significant engine and chassis damage, so I'd be suprised if it's not totaled.
Old 12-26-11, 07:14 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by syndrax
This I'm definitely confused about. I had to go today to the body shop to sign a paper stating they can look at the car, but I never got a call from the adjuster, just the body shop.
That is odd. Well I hope everything works out in your best interest. Theres been waaaaaaaaaaay too many IS accidents threads on here lately. Drive safe and happy holidays. Best of luck to you
Old 12-26-11, 07:22 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

might not be totaled. from the looks of it, the framed didn't look like it took any of the impact. looks like the hood just went under whatever you guys hit. look under the car and see if the frame is still straight. if it's totaled, it'll probably be because of the cost of the airbags.
Old 12-26-11, 07:22 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man that had to hurt

Looks totaled to me
Old 12-26-11, 07:25 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BoOst3d
might not be totaled. from the looks of it, the framed didn't look like it took any of the impact. looks like the hood just went under whatever you guys hit. look under the car and see if the frame is still straight. if it's totaled, it'll probably be because of the cost of the airbags.
a impact head on like that? theres no way the frame didn't take any of it
Old 12-26-11, 07:26 PM
IS250Vic
Driver

Shame to se another crashed IS... sorry to hear but good thing u r OK man!
Old 12-26-11, 07:28 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off sorry to hear bout the accident. Just by looking at the pictures the whole front end is gone and is definitely totaled. Fight with your insurance for your rights
Old 12-26-11, 07:36 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Pretty much anything can be repaired, and if it's being done properly, it will drive right again. Finding someone that can actually properly repair a car with significant frame damage can be pretty tough though. Most places won't get it right, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. It's just often times significantly cost prohibitive to repair the car.

But in this case, it actually doesn't look all that bad. Most of the damage is up pretty high, so the frame might not be too badly damaged. That being said, I wouldn't think any estimates/quotes should be getting thrown around without an estimator doing up a complete estimate. Sounds odd.

Jeff
Old 12-26-11, 08:19 PM
is_baby
Lead Lap

Looks totaled to me
Old 12-26-11, 09:08 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Don't forget that you have the right to have your car repaired at the shop of your choice. You don't have to have it repaired at the shop the insurance company picked.
Old 12-26-11, 09:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Does not look totalled to me. Most damage seems to be high above the frame, which makes fixing everything else not that hard. But I agree, if you are a picky person, it's never the same as factory done.

Quick Reply: Would you consider this car totaled?