IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Very weird issue with the climate control system

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 05:42 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very weird issue with the climate control system

As it got cold here in the last couple of months I noticed a weird issue. I have my climate control system set on auto at about 73* but I noticed that at times it would get cold inside the car after it has already warmed up. After some investigating I determined that when the car is moving everthing seems to work fine. Warm air is coming out of the vents and the temperature is stable. But when the car stops (at a light for example) cold air starts coming out of the vents. I had my hand by a vent and I felt the air go from warm to cold as I came to a stop at an intersection. Is that weird or what? Anybody have an idea what is causing this?
Old 12-28-11, 07:25 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have any type of defrost mode on?

I drove around all winter last year with the mode on defrost and the arrow pointing down at the footwells. Found out later that anytime the defrost symbol is activated, the AC gets turned on. Now that I have it off defrost mode, my mpg is lower by 1L/100km
Old 12-28-11, 07:36 AM
my1s250
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here but when i set it on 75 it stays warm
Old 12-28-11, 08:10 AM
skelow401
Rookie

Dude I have the same exact issue. 2007 IS250. I can put mine on 85 heat and as long as I'm driving its hot hot but if I stop at a light its like a/c cold. One the engine is completely warmed up its less noticeable but still happens some. I have even gone to the point of if my rpm is above 1000 its fine. Somebody has to know what this is. I'm worried something is going out.
Old 12-28-11, 08:11 AM
homerbrew
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if the Lexus cooling system is anything like the BMW that I just had. But that is a symptom of a cooling system that hasn't been bled properly on a BMW. Did you have any part of your cooling system worked on recently?
Old 12-28-11, 10:18 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Nothing besides a brake job and oil changes done on the car in the past 10 months. The air bag light came on last winter and the dealer replaced some kind of wiring connector buried in the dash but I did not notice this issue last winter.
Old 12-30-11, 11:04 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skelow401
Dude I have the same exact issue. 2007 IS250. I can put mine on 85 heat and as long as I'm driving its hot hot but if I stop at a light its like a/c cold. One the engine is completely warmed up its less noticeable but still happens some. I have even gone to the point of if my rpm is above 1000 its fine. Somebody has to know what this is. I'm worried something is going out.
Sounds like the same issue here. I did some more investigating. When I'm stopped at a light and cold air is coming out of the vents, I put the car in neutral and rev the engine above 1000 RPM and warm air starts blowing. As soon as RPMs drop below 1000 air gets cold again.

Does anybody know what is causing this? I'm out of warranty so I would prefer not to take the car to the dealer as to avoid having to take out a second mortgate on my house.
Old 12-30-11, 11:17 AM
White350
Rookie

Just a thermostat Not a Big deal, its not properly Regulating the temp of the motor it might be stuck slightly open
Old 12-30-11, 01:09 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

Mine did the same thing. Check your coolant level. I added fluid to it and its been fine every since
Old 12-30-11, 01:15 PM
smackman
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXtegra
Mine did the same thing. Check your coolant level. I added fluid to it and its been fine every since
Low coolant level is not normal....... Leak somewhere.....
Old 12-30-11, 02:32 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

Originally Posted by oblivionis
As it got cold here in the last couple of months I noticed a weird issue. I have my climate control system set on auto at about 73* but I noticed that at times it would get cold inside the car after it has already warmed up. After some investigating I determined that when the car is moving everthing seems to work fine. Warm air is coming out of the vents and the temperature is stable. But when the car stops (at a light for example) cold air starts coming out of the vents. I had my hand by a vent and I felt the air go from warm to cold as I came to a stop at an intersection. Is that weird or what? Anybody have an idea what is causing this?
Originally Posted by skelow401
So all three of us have a leak somewhere? Lol. I doubt it. And besides I checked for leaks. And I'm sure MY coolant does get a lil low from time to time when I drive on the autobahn and hit 130MPH every now and then. After all coolant does contain water. lol. To the OP before you start buying thermostats and all this other crap. Check your coolant level. If the heater core is not getting enough coolant it will have the exact symptoms you described. No heat at idle. But when you are driving or revving it heats up. I mean which would you want to buy, a thermostat or a lil bit of coolant?
Originally Posted by smackman
Low coolant level is not normal....... Leak somewhere.....
Could be. OP check for leaks too. Never hurts to look around the engine bay every now and then.

Last edited by LEXtegra; 12-30-11 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-11, 06:31 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXtegra
Looks like coolant is low. Of course the manual recommends the Toyota brand coolant. What kind/brand do people use for these cars?
Old 12-30-11, 07:44 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
Looks like coolant is low. Of course the manual recommends the Toyota brand coolant. What kind/brand do people use for these cars?
go with the toyota brand coolant. Its lifetime, so you won't be replacing it anytime soon; and its bad to be mixing different brands of coolant.

Also, its like $20...thats not expensive at all
Old 12-31-11, 09:22 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Make sure that the DUAL setting isn't on.
Old 12-31-11, 11:14 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edgeucated
go with the toyota brand coolant. Its lifetime, so you won't be replacing it anytime soon; and its bad to be mixing different brands of coolant.

Also, its like $20...thats not expensive at all
Good point, I have a Toyota dealership less than a mile from my house. It's actually $22 + tax.

Originally Posted by Gville350
Make sure that the DUAL setting isn't on.
No, that's not it.

Quick Reply: Very weird issue with the climate control system