CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad i don't need front plate
Old 01-01-12, 11:18 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

It's required to be mounted here but mines sitting on the dash. Not to mention my window tint is 15% when legal limit is 50
Old 01-12-12, 05:24 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More info on the TX lawhttp://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/traffic/...ate-law-011112
Old 01-12-12, 08:22 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

am goona put a front plate just to see if ill get pulled over lol
Old 01-12-12, 08:43 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
What's the purpose of a front license plate?
Strictly for identification in some cases. Contrary to popular belief, it is not "strictly" for red light violation cameras. There were front license plates laws way before traffic cameras.
Old 01-12-12, 09:03 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol! Probably not worry about the front plate law too much.

The cops would most likely would give you a ticket for front plate as part of the secondary offense - meaning they would have to pull you over for something primary. (ie. speeding).

Have to think of it this way because the cops need to make money and would not simply pull you over if the fine is less than all the processing fees for pulling you over, writing the ticket, administration fees and everything else which is done behind the scenes.
Old 01-12-12, 09:18 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I was ticketed for no front plate last month. The cop went out of his way to turn around and run up on a curb to give me a ticket for it.
Old 01-12-12, 05:42 PM
Vipor
Rookie

I've had 3 Corvettes. None of them had the front plates. Over a 10 year span, I only got stopped once for the missing plates and drove off with a warning.
Old 01-12-12, 06:22 PM
birador
Lead Lap

It’s a favorite reason for the police to use to pull you over. While it’s typically a “fix-it” ticket and a small fee or fine, it can lead to much bigger problems if they think you’ve been drinking or otherwise want a reason to contact you. Remember - all they need is “reasonable suspicion” of any criminal activity (even a minor traffic equipment violation such as this) to pull you over. Where it goes from there depends on the facts.
Old 01-13-12, 06:26 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Well, I have my front license plate on and I just got pulled over by a state trooper 2 days ago because my license plate cover is tinted...I was actually behind him and he pulled over to the shoulder and slowed down to let me pass and got behind me and turned on his lights....he claimed "tinted license plate frames are illegal in texas"..gave me a warning but still a waste of time..
Old 01-13-12, 07:20 AM
krazyboi
Rookie

Originally Posted by DKnight350
As a fellow TX resident, I too am very interested in this law. My front plate holder is in the trunk and it will take a ticket to get me to install it. I work with a guy with a G35 that has had no issues with police over the front plate being missing (even though he has been pulled over a few times for other issues). Who knows?

I would like to see a response from someone with knowledge of this situation.
north TX resident and I don't have the front license plate.. I got pulled over a few months back for speeding and he didn't even mention it.... but he did give me a ticket for not having an updated address on the DL

same like you... I have the holder in the trunk...
Old 01-13-12, 07:38 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

My GF got pulled over on this Front plate crap on her BMW 335i in Houston,TX. Its a fix-it-ticket. They only require you to take a pic of it mounted on the car and send pic to the DMV and they dismissed it. I put some painter's tape to where I plan to use double-side tape to mount the plate then I attached the screw thru the holes on the plate (both plate and screws stuck to the double-side tape behind the plate) Snap a few pics. pick the one that looks close to realistic..Mailed it off to DMV - Done. If she ever receive another ticket we just send in another pic we already took..
Old 01-13-12, 09:07 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
My GF got pulled over on this Front plate crap on her BMW 335i in Houston,TX. Its a fix-it-ticket. They only require you to take a pic of it mounted on the car and send pic to the DMV and they dismissed it. I put some painter's tape to where I plan to use double-side tape to mount the plate then I attached the screw thru the holes on the plate (both plate and screws stuck to the double-side tape behind the plate) Snap a few pics. pick the one that looks close to realistic..Mailed it off to DMV - Done. If she ever receive another ticket we just send in another pic we already took..
Yea, I was going to do this, but I wasn't sure if you could just mail the picture. The day after I paid the damn fine online I got a letter with instructions and it listed mailing the picture as an option.

What part of Houston are you in?
Old 01-13-12, 09:17 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I've zip tied it crudely to the lower grill and brought a picture of it to the court house in Houston for it. Even that was able to get it dismissed and no fees. Such a BS "offense"
Old 01-13-12, 09:41 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Remember folks, some may think it's a "stupid" or "ridiculous" law, but it serves a purpose as far as law enforcement is concerned. The overall ID purpose of the law trumps the "tackiness" and "unclean look" associated with having a front plate on your car. Same rules apply with too dark tint jobs and certain color hologen lights.

Last edited by Gladius; 01-13-12 at 09:42 AM. Reason: edit

Quick Reply: Texas License plate law screw up.