IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Texas License plate law screw up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 09:50 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladius
Remember folks, some may think it's a "stupid" or "ridiculous" law, but it serves a purpose as far as law enforcement is concerned. The overall ID purpose of the law trumps the "tackiness" and "unclean look" associated with having a front plate on your car. Same rules apply with too dark tint jobs and certain color hologen lights.
If it served such an important purpose, it would be required by law in every state. Coming from my LEO brother and uncle, it seems to just be an easy target to pull over people and harass them to try and find more incriminating offenses. For ordinary people, this just means the traffic stop is an inconvenience to the driver. Because if you arent a criminal, you either get a warning or a ticket that is easily dismissed in court, but lost ~20 minutes of your day and about an hour at the court house getting it dismissed. And yes, I will complain about 20 minutes, I'm incredibly busy!
Old 01-13-12, 10:05 AM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
If it served such an important purpose, it would be required by law in every state.
You can argue Federal vs. State laws until you are blue in your face but it still won't upstage the fact that those states who do have the law reserve that right probably because of instances in the past which say they "need" the law.

I am all for "the clean look" but hardly find that front licence plate laws are a "waste of time". Everyone has their own version of "busy" and I am sure the police find many situations a "waste of their time" also.
Old 01-13-12, 10:11 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Curiosity for the ones who got a ticket.

Was your car tinted?
What color is your car?

The first reason is if your depending on what % the car is tinted because, it would attract the cops attention more depending on how dark it is as the interior would also play a role how it looks (even thou if its at the limit or not).

The other is your car a white or red? Reason for this is red cars statistically get pulled over the most percentage wise compared to how many red cars out there. It may look like white cars get pulled over more because there is a lot of white cars out there, but the percentage being pulled over is less than the red. Red is easier to spot therefore gets the most attention because the car is easy to spot; which is one reason why fire engines are red.
Old 01-13-12, 02:36 PM
lychu87
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Austin, TX. I got pulled over for speeding recently, and the cop didn't even bring it up. Also, I see so many cars without them. I don't think they care here at all.
Old 01-15-12, 10:20 PM
mojo77777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They seem to care alot in Houston
Old 01-15-12, 10:31 PM
Shervin021
Driver

Originally Posted by mojo77777
NO JOKE, i got pulled over last night just for the plates, he was front of me checking speed with a radar but i wasnt speeding, so he comes up saying i pulled you over for no front plate, lol but best part it i shoved it in his face, i said i know officer i dont even have the back plate and im still waiting for my plates to arrived ill put them on as soon as they arrive. Made him look real stupid, even tho i dont wana put those ugly TX plates, i have order the black start TX plates, cant wait to put those on
Old 01-15-12, 11:21 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

My Lexus has never had a front plate. The only time you ever get a front plate ticket is when you get pulled over for speeding and they try to write more than one ticket for one stop. When I had my accord, I didn't have a front plate either. I got pulled over for speeding and they wrote a ticket for speeding, no front plate, and not yielding when changing lanes (which was bull**** b/c I did yield). Anyways, went to court and the Judge was able to get the front plate and yielding tickets dismissed. I didn't even have to provide a picture. The front plate law is pointless.
Old 01-16-12, 12:30 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mojo77777
Yes Sir

Originally Posted by Shervin021
NO JOKE, i got pulled over last night just for the plates, he was front of me checking speed with a radar but i wasnt speeding, so he comes up saying i pulled you over for no front plate, lol but best part it i shoved it in his face, i said i know officer i dont even have the back plate and im still waiting for my plates to arrived ill put them on as soon as they arrive. Made him look real stupid, even tho i dont wana put those ugly TX plates, i have order the black start TX plates, cant wait to put those on
Yup, Houston is a **** Camp for pulling you over for no reason. When I first moved to Houston. I got pulled over weekly because I didn't have a Front Plate or Front Window Stickers. I moved from Out-of-state and my home state didn't have window stickers or front plate, made them feel like fools - serves them right for picking on new comers..
Old 01-16-12, 03:27 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sango

Was your car tinted?
What color is your car?

The first reason is if your depending on what % the car is tinted because, it would attract the cops attention more depending on how dark it is as the interior would also play a role how it looks (even thou if its at the limit or not).

The other is your car a white or red? Reason for this is red cars statistically get pulled over the most percentage wise compared to how many red cars out there. It may look like white cars get pulled over more because there is a lot of white cars out there, but the percentage being pulled over is less than the red. Red is easier to spot therefore gets the most attention because the car is easy to spot; which is one reason why fire engines are red.
My Accord was dark green and I had 20% tint all around. Officer didn't say anything about the tint.
Old 01-16-12, 04:18 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shervin021
Lol! did you like show him the paper plate? hahaha!

Originally Posted by XSV
My Accord was dark green and I had 20% tint all around. Officer didn't say anything about the tint.
Oh I see. Probably didn't bother to check - but they can be a PITA if they do. Usually car colors represents the driver's personality.
------------

I would still think the Federal law would apply. If a foreign car did not come with a factory mount built in for the front licence plate, it's not required. This doesn't apply to American made vehicles because they have factory mounts.
Old 01-16-12, 04:23 PM
XSV
Instructor

Lol! did you like show him the paper plate? hahaha!

Oh I see. Probably didn't bother to check - but they can be a PITA if they do. Usually car colors represents the driver's personality.
------------
I've been pulled over about five times and HPD (Houston) or SPD (Sugarland) have never checked my tint. The only time I had tint problem was when I went get my inspection but they just let me slide.
Old 01-16-12, 07:01 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was your car tinted?
What color is your car?

5% Tint
Red

He (Texas Trooper) didn't say a single thing about tint, just gave me a warning for no plate
Old 01-16-12, 08:45 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Always said red is a speeding ticket.
Old 01-17-12, 12:39 PM
lychu87
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. I heard Houston was terrible, particularly Sugar Land. I always mount the front license plate on when I go back to Houston and take it off when I get back. It's a hassle, but I would rather do that than have holes drilled into my front bumper.
Old 01-25-12, 11:53 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

No idea about the credibility of this website, but here is some info about the TX law:
http://warondriving.com/post/1383875...ate-no-problem

Quick Reply: Texas License plate law screw up.