IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Black Housing + Custom LED

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 06:27 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I never made a actual dyi thread but you can see the pictures step by step here on how to do it http://public.fotki.com/remydee/the-is-journal/

Heres the steps that I went through

pre heat oven 220 degrees
put headlight & fog light in (on top of a tray and cloth)
bake for 10 min
get a flat head and tape up the end of it to avoid scratching as you carefully pry apart your headlights
unscrew housing and clean it real good with alcohol to remove any dust dirt etc then dry it off
spray two coats of primer first coat lightly and evenly and let it dry for about 5 min in between each coat
then spray flat black or whatever color you desire repeat the same steps as the primer but with the paint I actually did 3 coats. you can do more if you want but at least do 3. I also recommend using high temp paint.
now rebake the same way you did when you opened it to seal it. There should be enough sealant left around the headlights/foglights from when you took it apart but should you feel the need to have more get the clear window caulking sealant at lowes or home depot or even the hardware department at walmart.

the process

the results

Hopefully this saves you a couple hundred bucks
Old 12-31-11, 06:27 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PetesSweet
just realized, owell! lol

^haha it's all good!
Old 12-31-11, 06:44 PM
yungsters
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, good lookin tail lights though, PetesSweet.

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
I never made a actual dyi thread but you can see the pictures step by step here on how to do it http://public.fotki.com/remydee/the-is-journal/

Heres the steps that I went through

pre heat oven 220 degrees
put headlight & fog light in (on top of a tray and cloth)
bake for 10 min
get a flat head and tape up the end of it to avoid scratching as you carefully pry apart your headlights
unscrew housing and clean it real good with alcohol to remove any dust dirt etc then dry it off
spray two coats of primer first coat lightly and evenly and let it dry for about 5 min in between each coat
then spray flat black or whatever color you desire repeat the same steps as the primer but with the paint I actually did 3 coats. you can do more if you want but at least do 3. I also recommend using high temp paint.
now rebake the same way you did when you opened it to seal it. There should be enough sealant left around the headlights/foglights from when you took it apart but should you feel the need to have more get the clear window caulking sealant at lowes or home depot or even the hardware department at walmart.

the process

the results

Hopefully this saves you a couple hundred bucks
Wow! Looks great! Thanks for the pictures — I was wondering what blacked out fog lights looked like. :]

I've PM'd for the custom LEDs, but if that falls through, thanks for the info! I'm pretty scared of doing it myself though since I'm pretty n00b when it comes to this stuff. :P