IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 02:28 AM
untzklee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have the functioning replacement screen that has a small crack on the upper right corner for sale.. $100 OBO.
Old 10-10-12, 10:07 AM
PrettyBoi7
Driver School Candidate

If anyone in Southern California (LAX area) can help me fix my frozen navigation screen, please private message me!!

I would like to get into contact with DaKi3241 to help me fix my nav problem. Thank you!!
Old 10-11-12, 06:32 AM
ktran99
Driver School Candidate

Just PM DaKi and wait. He'll respond.
Old 10-11-12, 10:01 PM
OOO_ROB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can someone in norcal do this for me!!!
Old 10-12-12, 03:02 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ktran99
Just PM DaKi and wait. He'll respond.
thanks!

Originally Posted by dirkgibson
I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!! I ordered a replacement screen from China, $300.00, installed it and got a White backlit screen. I pulled it out and attempted it again, didnt work. I have now put the original screen back in and i still have a White Backlit screen.

Before attempting this i was stuck on the warning screen. The backup camera worked.... just wouldnt respond to touch.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments i would greatly appreciate. I am sick over this because we love the car but this is a huge issue. Thanks again.
Hey! Dude that is not any part of the touch screen issue when your whole display is turned to white... Please check the connections of all wires and reconnect them. that includes, unplugging the whole nav unit and also getting to the touch screen too and disconnect everything and reconnect everything once again. I pray it was something you either forgot to plug in or it fit in the connection sockets in a wrong way. IF they are all plugged in correctly after triple checking.... then this may be a time to get a whole new unit.... Maybe something got damaged on the process IF the connections are all 100% plugged in correctly. Best of luck!.

Originally Posted by jc401
Add one more to DaKi3241's experience and success!
Just got mine fixed by DaKi. He did a great job! He was very careful removing the nav and took the time to explain to me why the unit failed... and how/what he's going to do to fix it. When putting the nav back, he also made sure there are no gaps between the dash and the nav.

He was also nice enough to drive a long way to come to my place to fix it. Thanks again DaKi! Really appreciate it!
Thanks for the review and kind words! Always down to help people out!!

Originally Posted by PrettyBoi7
If anyone in Southern California (LAX area) can help me fix my frozen navigation screen, please private message me!!

I would like to get into contact with DaKi3241 to help me fix my nav problem. Thank you!!
Just got in contact with PrettyBoi7 last night and fixed it on his schedule. He was only available around night time along with mines, and performed the procedure and did it from 9-12. It took only 1 try but since I didn't have a tool to dry the writer faster, It wasn't working until today morning. Confirmed with him in the morning and he is a happy camper!

Here is a heads up people.

So far I worked on 15 IS navigations now

Here is a small statistics for more EMPHASIS to KEEP YOUR CARS parked in shady(under trees, not where you will be shot) areas, garage, and nice cool places!

If you want proof I did more than even 10 navigations here are a few people I helped and they have been very satisfied with my work. I am MOBILE and I am able to go to your house to do this as long as you help a bit with gas. I drove to Irvine, San Diego, Alhambra, Pasadena, Glendale, Los Angeles, LAX, San Gabriel, Monterey Park, Ladera Ranch, Glendale, Burbank, so on...

Some people I helped includes: ShuffleNow, Untzkklee, Untzklee's cousin, SDCALIDUDE, KOIS,
RonRon217, Iwant2Play, jc401, PrettyBoi7, and many more!
Next on line to help is GLOBECLK(arranging schedule still to have a day to perform this surgery).

Best part about this is that EVERYONE i helped thus far has a BLACK exterior. ALL OBSIDIAN BLACK exterior and i believe 2 Smoky Granite Mica exterior car colors.
Interior colors were all BLACK and except for 1 of them which was tan.

So yes people please make sure your car does not attract too much heat and PLEASE put it in cool areas I can't emphasize them enough.

There is a solution to help with this heat though... I suggest getting tints in the rears AT LEAST... and also try finding window visors. The best looking and most OEM ones are the JDM Visors but they cost about 300+. The next alternative you guys should check for is AVS visors which are about I believe 120+. IF NOT EVEN THAT.... get the ebay ones for about 40 bucks... they are cheapy and weird looking but at least they do the job.

TO THOSE WHO HAVE BLACK CARS I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU GUYS TO GET THE VENT VISORS. YES YOU who DO have your navi still functional!
Old 10-12-12, 09:26 PM
OOO_ROB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come do mine daki3421...!!!
Old 10-21-12, 07:20 PM
spaghetti1
Driver School Candidate

Update on the digitizer only option from the guy I found on ebay, part arrived on Friday

It is about 1/4" smaller in length and width than the original and I was afraid I'd break the old one if I took it off so I just put thin strips of doublestick mounting tape on the left and right sides of it and stuck it on top of the old touchscreeen and then the metal bezel over that. Appears to work great, almost seems like it is more sensitive than the original. Got a new part for $59 !!! Hopefully this one will hold up better than the last one in the Texas heat with my wifes dark car.
Old 10-21-12, 07:45 PM
sgmbab
Driver

Originally Posted by spaghetti1
Update on the digitizer only option from the guy I found on ebay, part arrived on Friday

It is about 1/4" smaller in length and width than the original and I was afraid I'd break the old one if I took it off so I just put thin strips of doublestick mounting tape on the left and right sides of it and stuck it on top of the old touchscreeen and then the metal bezel over that. Appears to work great, almost seems like it is more sensitive than the original. Got a new part for $59 !!! Hopefully this one will hold up better than the last one in the Texas heat with my wifes dark car.

How is the quality and is there any difference in usage and look compared to before the digitizer was broken?

Last edited by sgmbab; 10-22-12 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 02:40 PM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spaghetti1

this is so awesome! glad you took it to the next level. i wasn't sure how to remove the digitizer. did yours come with an anti-glare surface like that of the original touchscreen?

anyway, long time coming but I just wanted to say SCREW YOU LEXUS! this community has figured out how to fix this issue, without shelling out thousands.
Old 10-22-12, 05:45 PM
spaghetti1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sgmbab
How is the quality and is there any difference in usage and look compared to before the digitizer was broken?
Quality - looks like a nice cheap digitizer, wished I could have gotten it for under $20 like the one someone posted of a cell phone digitizer screen earlier in this string - that's what inspired me.

Appearance wise - It's not as thick as the original and the cable is longer and straight. Be careful when putting it into the connector as the original is tapered in and out. Since the touch screen is smaller - be real carefull to center it left/right and top/bottom. When you put the metal bezel fram over it you can see how well you did and make adjustments if needed. Some amount of the gold circuitry trace encroaches within the window but it looks natural and does not obscure any of the LCD display since that has a bezel around it anyway behind the original touchscreen.

I'm kind of regretting not adjusting the 4 allignment screws that the LCD assembly mounts on to pull it back some to account for the thickness of the second toucscreen. But it worked and fits tight to the front bezel. If I were to do it again it would be a good idea to attempt to finesse the fit.

Usage wise - it worked perfect the first time and is even softer to the touch than the original (or at least my twice repaired original)

Here's a picture of it sitting on top of the LCD - it's not centered, you can see how much smaller it is than the original.

Here's the email of the guy I bought it from - $59, arrived within 2 weeks - paid by paypal.
The guy who answered my email goes by B.R.
topele_mznp6247rb@members.ebay.com.h...rs.ebay.com.hk>;

Last edited by spaghetti1; 10-22-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 07:49 PM
spaghetti1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wakaru8
this is so awesome! glad you took it to the next level. i wasn't sure how to remove the digitizer. did yours come with an anti-glare surface like that of the original touchscreen?

anyway, long time coming but I just wanted to say SCREW YOU LEXUS! this community has figured out how to fix this issue, without shelling out thousands.
Hey amigo - thanks for your inspiring post that motivated me to try that approach vs attempting to repair it for a 3rd time. Yes it appears to have an anti glare surface. Doesn't appear to have as much outer circuitry as the one you found on eBay. I took the lower risk option and bought it from one of the eBay folks who sell the complete assembly. When I emailed him back to thank him he said that he has sold a lot of them.
Old 10-28-12, 09:57 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Default Thank goodness

Finally got my navigation screen fixed today after a month staring at the start up screen. A piece of advice i can give is follow the instruction on post number 146 by Arc177. Like him i did not have to etch the glass. Anyone who needs help with this near Charlotte, NC can pm me.

Last edited by sgmbab; 10-28-12 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-03-12, 09:08 PM
DiabloRoke
Driver School Candidate

This guide saved my life with my recently purchased 2006 IS250. I bought it before checking how much it cost to get it repaired and when I found out it was $2.5k+ to fix I felt my heart drop. With a good couple hours of work, I got the navigation fixed.

I wasn't really good with the multimeter so I repaired each trace instead of trying to just fix the faulty one only.

TIPS:
- Repair each trace, better safe than sorry! Also it beats opening up the navigation again.
- Be careful with the circuitwriter pen, its a liquid and can short onto other traces if you are *too* generous. I had to alcohol wipe the entire thing when I noticed that the liquid leaked into the super-small crevice and shorted the traces.

Improvements:
- As stated in some of the previous comments, I'd put some kind of non-conductive epoxy over the repaired piece. This will make it stronger with no extra work.
Old 11-05-12, 12:53 PM
CPinLA41
Driver School Candidate

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD!!

Simply put: My nav system was frozen and I very warily attempted the fix. I can barely change the wiper fluid on my car, but because of the great pictures and the well-detailed instructions, I gave the fix a shot.

It worked. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks!!

-CP
Old 11-19-12, 09:49 PM
odon76
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dx3
Greg - glad to help man I've become quite the pro at pulling all of it apart. Last night I got it down to the nav unti pulled out of the car and then the actual Nav screen separated in less than 10 minutes

I got the seller down to $320 shipped... which is pretty pricey but at least it all works again.

Jonny
Hey there DX3 few months ago my touchscreen stopped responding but as of yesterday everything went dead including my A/C, Heater, screen, and the buttons dont even respond. Does this mean I need a whole complete unit or can I just buy one of those unit you just bought on ebay?
Bare with me because I'm not mechanically inclined.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY