IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 09:43 PM
flipflop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2009 IS 250, will this screen failure eventually happen? Or is it possible it will never happen? Or another way to ask is, is it due to normal wear on the screen (which means it will eventually happen to most screens) or a defect that only affects some screens?
Old 08-30-13, 02:47 AM
unionper
Driver School Candidate

Default wtb: navigation (working or broken) or ribbon

Hey, im looking to buy a broken or working navigation unit.

I actually only need this ribbon here

heres a link to a bigger pic http://postimg.org/image/9t1l8frfb/

my screen isn't turning on now because it looks like one of the small teeth on the ribbon ripped off.

please pm me or let me know if anyone has this ribbon or a complete navigation unit.

Thanks
Old 08-30-13, 03:07 AM
unionper
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by paulyis250
Well all I can say is what a PIA this was, first I tried the fix and for me it caused more problems, I did not know how to disconnect the cables and broke the connector of the board and lucky for me i found a circuit repair company and cost me $125 to repair it, then ordered a new touch screen from E-Bay and today put it all together and its back in service, after 2 weeks and almost $500 my IS250 is now back in service. Just an FYI Lexus has an exchange program now that you can exchange you console for a re manufactured one for $1895 plus labor but must be a good core that mine was not due to my trying to fix on my own. so be very careful when disconnecting the cables.
does anyone know who this circuit repair company is?
Old 09-20-13, 11:48 AM
BSchaf
Driver School Candidate

Scooby, firmly pull up on the metal bar, then pull out the ribbon. I just installed a new screen on my original digitizer, unfortunately i think i got a bad screen from hong kong but not sure
Old 09-20-13, 11:51 AM
BSchaf
Driver School Candidate

Default Ordering a new screen/digitizer

Does anyone know of a RELIABLE source for a new screen with digitizer??? I just ordered a new screen from ebay from hong kong and the "touch" is still not right, the screen i recieved was questionable, tabs bent, ribbon connector bent ect, so im not sure if i have a bad new screen or i need a new digitizer and sceen, sigh.... what a hassle.
Old 09-22-13, 12:01 PM
chaddler
Driver School Candidate

Default fixed the screen, but now the hazard lights r stuck on

Thank you everyone for the pictures, suggestions, comments,etc. I always find the answers i need in CL. Everything went back together great, but my hazard lights go on when the car is turned off completely / ignition off. If the ignition is on or the car is running, lights don't flash. Fortunately i have two 2006 is 350s to steal from or switch parts back and forth . i switched out the flasher with the other car and it didn't fix it. The wire harass that plugs into the hazard/clock section has been investigated, everything looked normal, Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Old 09-23-13, 03:42 PM
scoobydoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BSchaf
Scooby, firmly pull up on the metal bar, then pull out the ribbon.
Thanks -- I was able to figure this out, finally. You actually have to lift up on the metal bar, and then pull out (not up!) on the tabs on the side of the black bar by the ribbon. First time the black bar tabs were fairly tight, just be patient and the tabs pop out -- and then the wire ribbon will release.

Unfortunately, I didn't figure this out until I had already damaged the fragile wires on the circuit connector. I found a circuit repair company in Dallas that specializes in these types of problems; they soldered it back together for me fairly quickly for $75.

Everything is put back together and working great now -- final total cost (for my new screen and circuit repair) was $250.
Old 09-23-13, 03:57 PM
scoobydoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BSchaf
Does anyone know of a RELIABLE source for a new screen with digitizer??? I just ordered a new screen from ebay from hong kong and the "touch" is still not right, the screen i recieved was questionable, tabs bent, ribbon connector bent ect, so im not sure if i have a bad new screen or i need a new digitizer and sceen, sigh.... what a hassle.
I also bought mine from an ebay seller from Hong Kong: zdq20100818 is the seller name.

The tabs were slightly bent, and I had to straighten those, so they may have sent me a refurbished screen -- hard to tell. It did have a protective covering on the screen, so I'm just not sure. But bottom line, the screen + digitizer I received worked for me so I'm happy. Once it was all put back together it looks and works good as new.

Does your new screen test out OK with a multimeter?

Good luck, I agree the project was a hassle -- I saved a lot of $ doing it myself, but what a pain . . .
Old 10-11-13, 09:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,416 Posts

Originally Posted by Tankdriver
It worked! Used a razor to separate the digitizer from the LCD, installed the new digitizer which is the same dimension, and plugged the cable in.

Pictures showing where the cable is located, where is the easiest point to enter with a razor, junction of the cable and the screen of the new digitzer, and after installation.
Well done. What did you use for adhesive? Did the digitizer come with it, or did you use some of the black cellphone stuff?

I'm not looking forward to doing this, but it would seem it's inevitable. Might just buy the screen and put it on the shelf for the day I need to do it.
Old 10-12-13, 11:37 PM
Tankdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Well done. What did you use for adhesive? Did the digitizer come with it, or did you use some of the black cellphone stuff?

I'm not looking forward to doing this, but it would seem it's inevitable. Might just buy the screen and put it on the shelf for the day I need to do it.
I mixed together some of the JB Kwik Weld that I picked up from the hardware store and applied a small amount to each corner using a cotton swab. You don't need a ton of the stuff. Using a cotton swab allows you to paint a thin coat to exactly where you want it go.
Old 10-17-13, 12:23 PM
pct91
Driver School Candidate

attempted the fix today. FAIL. the issue i had when i got the screen out was the wire that i yanked which is behind the screen came apart. the wire was not held by a locking clip but just a regular clip it had 4 prongs that were at the end of the wires, the clip has 5 sockets but the wire only had 4 prongs could this be the issue? i did the circuit writer pen and plugged everything back in now i dont even know if my touch screen works at all. my screen is completely black. what should i do now? you can hear all the beeps when buttons are pressed. The lights on the buttons glow. I completely messed up my dash trim where the AC vent is at. Our dash material is soo cheap...please help thanks

Last edited by pct91; 10-18-13 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 09:39 AM
kyle0k
Rookie

I'm getting ready to take this on tonight, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

A couple posts on this thread has made it clear that taking off the entire counsol and such is overkill.I can't seem to find a psot with the instructions though.

So does anyone have any detailed instructions on the updated 'easy' way of getting to the circuit?
Old 10-27-13, 11:43 AM
kyle0k
Rookie

I did it yesterday and it worked! Thank you so much. For those that are getting ready to take this endeavor on, I'll add a couple notes.

-you do t have to take the bottom center counsel off, however it only take one extra minute
-once you get to the actual screen, you don't have to take it out of its cage.
-when I tested the wiring with multimeter, everything seed to work as it was supposed to. None of them showed as faulty.
-I used a Dremel to get to the copper in the ribbon and to chip away at the glass.
-I let it dry for 10 min and used a blow drier for a couple more. I rested again with a multimeter and it didn't work. However I put everything back together and it all works!

-so don't rely on the multimeter, just do all 4 connections and be done with it.
Old 10-29-13, 07:35 AM
RBW
Driver School Candidate

Question: How do you get the navigation screen to go back to one map rather than two screens side by side?
Thanks,
RBW
Old 11-03-13, 02:50 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by JackieBfly
My screen died on me about 6 months ago. When I say 'died' I mean no signs of life at all & it's essentially BLACK. Nav screen has no illumination. Now the radio & cd changer DO work, so I have music & the clock only. Side buttons surrounding the screen; (a/c, menu, audio etc.) have no illumination & are not operable either...... HOWEVER, approximately every 6 weeks or so, the screen will flicker a few times, I will see lines & the screen will begin to fade back in & the entire unit WILL become totally operational for just about 10 minutes (this is the only time I can get to make my a/c adjustments which will stay in effect for about another 6 weeks because it will die shortly thereafter.)

Has anyone else had this issue? I see the more common complaint & problem is having the screen "Freeze" & totally locking up on the home screen. But my screen seems to have a short or power interruption.. Is it possible to fix my blackout with the same DYI for frozen screens, or is it something different? Of course the dealer wants $2300 for a new unit, but honestly.. I simply cant afford that, otherwise it would have been fixed months ago. Another possibility I thought was if this could be fixed by just replacing the 7" screen. What do you guys think? Any help would be tremendously appreciated!!!!!!!!!
So the evitable has happened to me (SGM '06 IS350), and after reading this entire thread AND a bunch of other older threads the above post is EXACTY what I've been experiencing lately. Several days in a row it'll work, and then out of no where it'll stop working for a few days. Occasional I'd get some odd checker-board looking screens or black with single white lines across it. Would the circuit writing even have anything to do with MY issue here? To date I HAVE NOT experienced the NAV unit freezing or the screen not responding to my touches. When it is working, it works fine. But out of no-where, it'll decide to stop working...even mid-trip to and from work, not just after I turn off the car.

Also, before today my radio would still function as normal; but now after I've checked ALL of the related radio/display/NAV/ACC fuses throughout the car, now I've got no tunes.

I also disconnected the battery for a good hour today to reset everything; no luck. I've also got a BRAND NEW battery and ALL other systems within the car work flawlessly. No aftermarket stereo equipment here either.

Any insight one might have would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Gville350; 11-03-13 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Laptop died LOL!

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY