IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 10:49 AM
Dylan19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure that I am having the same issues as everyone here. My screen is still responsive to touch when it is actually working. I was driving around two days ago and I got green stripes running vertically down the screen quickly, and then the screen went blank. None of the buttons surrounding the screen functioned at all. The clock was still illuminated though. I was across the street from a parts store when it happened, so I pulled in thinking that it was a problem with a blown fuse or something. I got back in the car and everything was working again. I set the heat to a comfortable temp, because I had to drive 800 miles back to Chicago yesterday from New Jersey, later the next morning. On the drive back to Chicago I had no problems with the unit at all, until I was about 15 miles from my house. We started to notice that the music coming from my girlfriend's iPhone via the AUX cable was like 'skipping' but had no problems with the unit other than that. She unplugged the phone and there was no skipping, so it was not the phone. Then when going several places yesterday, the nav would work periodically. I really do not want to start taking the unit apart because I am not good with electronics, but I wanted to see if I am even having the same issues as the people posting in this thread.
Old 01-02-14, 04:39 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan19
I am not sure that I am having the same issues as everyone here. My screen is still responsive to touch when it is actually working. I was driving around two days ago and I got green stripes running vertically down the screen quickly, and then the screen went blank. None of the buttons surrounding the screen functioned at all. The clock was still illuminated though. I was across the street from a parts store when it happened, so I pulled in thinking that it was a problem with a blown fuse or something. I got back in the car and everything was working again. I set the heat to a comfortable temp, because I had to drive 800 miles back to Chicago yesterday from New Jersey, later the next morning. On the drive back to Chicago I had no problems with the unit at all, until I was about 15 miles from my house. We started to notice that the music coming from my girlfriend's iPhone via the AUX cable was like 'skipping' but had no problems with the unit other than that. She unplugged the phone and there was no skipping, so it was not the phone. Then when going several places yesterday, the nav would work periodically. I really do not want to start taking the unit apart because I am not good with electronics, but I wanted to see if I am even having the same issues as the people posting in this thread.
Sound/look familiar?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-related.html
Old 01-02-14, 08:19 PM
Dylan19
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
I did find that post. Trying to figure out if I can do something other than buying a new unit in order to resolve the issue. That is exactly what happened to me though! I got the fuel consumption screen, and also the first drive after it originally happened, I also got a weird climate control screen that had buttons on the touchscreen for all of the functions that the physical buttons under the screen do.
Old 01-03-14, 01:08 PM
rich022
Driver School Candidate

Problem fixed 99%.. I used dremel to etch more away, and also seemed that multiple layers of circuit writer helps with the connection. The right side of the screen is sill 'off kilter' a tad, when I hit the button. but I can live with it.
Final resistance numbers were 670/ 1470... but don't know what causes one side of the screen to be 'off' I have to touch to the right of the actual button to activate it..
I also suggest buying a magnifying lamp when doing this project helps signifcatnly to see where you are etching.. I liked using the dremel over a razor.
Old 01-03-14, 03:15 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by Dylan19
I did find that post. Trying to figure out if I can do something other than buying a new unit in order to resolve the issue. That is exactly what happened to me though! I got the fuel consumption screen, and also the first drive after it originally happened, I also got a weird climate control screen that had buttons on the touchscreen for all of the functions that the physical buttons under the screen do.
Well, I narrowed it down to NOT being the screen itself; because like you, when mine did work, the screen was fine. It's something internal to the screen power module or the circuit board behind the screen. I believe over time something has become loose and will expend during the summer and work fine; but once fall/winter hits, the temps drop, and the screen started not working intermittently.

Like another member recommended, perhaps using a heat gun will help expand whatever is not connecting 100%. But to pinpoint the EXACT problematic component, that'll take a electronics expert. Perhaps this ebay seller could assist you; I was about to send mine to him, but I found my '08 NAV unit locally instead :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-LS-GS-ES-IS-RX-LX-GX-SC-250-300-330-350-430-460-470-NAVIGATION-REPAIR-/111245131179?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item19e6b9fdab&vxp=mtr
Old 01-03-14, 08:56 PM
Dylan19
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Well, I narrowed it down to NOT being the screen itself; because like you, when mine did work, the screen was fine. It's something internal to the screen power module or the circuit board behind the screen. I believe over time something has become loose and will expend during the summer and work fine; but once fall/winter hits, the temps drop, and the screen started not working intermittently.

Like another member recommended, perhaps using a heat gun will help expand whatever is not connecting 100%. But to pinpoint the EXACT problematic component, that'll take a electronics expert. Perhaps this ebay seller could assist you; I was about to send mine to him, but I found my '08 NAV unit locally instead :

Lexus LS GS ES Is RX LX GX SC 250 300 330 350 430 460 470 Navigation Repair 689076399913 | eBay
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I did notice that once the car was warm it seemed to work more often. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-18-14, 01:59 PM
phubuns
Driver School Candidate

Is anyone in California "OC" willing to do this for me? I would compensate you for your time and labor . Please PM if you know or willing to help me out.
Old 01-21-14, 04:35 PM
Ruknmaul
Driver School Candidate

Disassembly was fairly easy. Great directions. I ended up taking apart and reassembling this 3 times.
First time: nav screen still not functioning
Second time: right half of nav screen was properly functioning
THIRD TIME: SCREEN CRACKED!!!

Someone please tell me I can purchase just the screen alone for install. Installation would be a snap at this point!!
Old 01-21-14, 05:04 PM
Gville350

^Yes, you can purchase the screens by themselves! Check out ebay!
Old 01-21-14, 05:06 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

We will have these screens in stock and for sale soon. Are you all more interested in the entire display that you unplug from the car and plug a new one in or just the touch panel?
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 01-22-14, 12:11 PM
Gville350

^Well, you'll have folks that would be interested in both really. Those that don't have to deal with dismantling the NAV unit to access the screen. And then there's those of us (myself included) that rely heavily on DIY. For the DIY option, I've seen either the entire screen itself needing replacement or just the touch overlay (the proper name for this piece eludes me).

In my case though, I experienced complete screen POWER failure; tried a new screen and all, but no luck. I'd assume it had something to do with thermal expansion over the years of SC summers and winters.
Old 01-22-14, 12:14 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

I think the digitizer is the word you're looking for.

Good to know. I will let everyone know when I have them in stock.

Old 01-22-14, 12:21 PM
Gville350

^Yep! Bingo.
Old 01-22-14, 01:15 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Right, the Digitizer and the screen with Digitizer is what most are looking for..

Like mentioned, there are people that rather just buy the whole screen and there are some that prefer to remove the Digitizer and replace.

From my experience. The quality of the digitizer is very important. The reason why is because this will give you the OEM quality you are looking for.

I have bought a few digitizers from sellers before and they are all diffrent. WHY? because its made by diffrent companies. You can tell by the texture and lighting quality once turned on.

Bad digitizers gives you that rainbow effect, some sort of a screen protector type look..
Old 01-22-14, 01:17 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Yes, you can buy aftermarket digitizers on ebay for $20-$40. I wouldn't recommend that.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY