IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 01:21 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Yes, you can buy aftermarket digitizers on ebay for $20-$40. I wouldn't recommend that.
Now that you mention aftermarket.... Are the ones you will provide OEM? meaning in Toyota boxes with their respective part numbers?
Old 01-22-14, 01:26 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

As far as I know you can't buy the parts individually from Lexus. I haven't looked into it too much so I don't know for sure. I would imagine you have to buy the complete nav unit from them.

I'm working with my supplier on the specifics, but they are OEM parts removed from 0 mile or low mile units.

There's really no other option unless you opt for the cheap aftermarket reproduction units on ebay.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 01-22-14, 01:30 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

As far as I know you can't buy the parts individually from Lexus. I haven't looked into it too much so I don't know for sure. I would imagine you have to buy the complete nav unit from them.

I'm working with my supplier on the specifics, but they are OEM parts removed from 0 mile or low mile units.

There's really no other option unless you opt for the cheap aftermarket reproduction units on ebay.

Right, I dont believe Toyota offers just the digitizers. This will have to be bought "Aftermarket". You really dont know who is making these..

Companies buy them and re-sell. Just hope is the good quality ones.. there are digitizers online from 20$ to 80$. Same thing for the screens..

Let us know when you start selling them. I will def. give you a call.
Old 01-22-14, 06:55 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Besides offering screens and the digitizers, are you going to offer repair services on those NAV units that are faulty BEYOND the screen issues?
Old 01-23-14, 10:39 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a $40 digitizer on ebay and ended up with a rainbow effect one. Hopefully Tanin would be able to provide a guaranteed OEM looking digitzer or screen.
Old 01-23-14, 12:33 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
I bought a $40 digitizer on ebay and ended up with a rainbow effect one. Hopefully Tanin would be able to provide a guaranteed OEM looking digitzer or screen.
This is what i mentioned above... be careful with cheap digitizers....
Old 01-24-14, 04:58 PM
kook911
Driver School Candidate

Hello I have a problem. I just did the screen repair for my 08 250. I but every thing back together and now the bottom buttons are not working. (Sat, AM, FM, Aux) I unplug the unit and plug it back in making sure they are all pressed in and it still does not work. The buttons worked before my screen stop but since after the fix it does not work. Also if I used the mode on the steering wheel it will cycle through all the modes. Is there anything that I can try to fix the problem?
Old 01-24-14, 04:59 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

By what you just said, you clearly did something or forgot to do something with the wiring or harness to the button panel.

Old 01-24-14, 05:42 PM
kook911
Driver School Candidate

By what you just said, you clearly did something or forgot to do something with the wiring or harness to the button panel.
I took it apart again and made sure I didn't forget to get hook anything up. I recheck everything and it all hook up. I just followed the diy and didn't stray from it. The volume **** and the track **** works but nothing else works.
Old 01-24-14, 05:45 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Were you static free? ESD bench mat, body grounded with a strap? Many invisible things can go wrong with electronics.

Are the bottom buttons you are talking about on the display panel or actual plastic push buttons?
Old 01-24-14, 05:50 PM
kook911
Driver School Candidate

Were you static free? ESD bench mat, body grounded with a strap? Many invisible things can go wrong with electronics.

Are the bottom buttons you are talking about on the display panel or actual plastic push buttons?
I did not have any of that. I am talking about the plastic push buttons.
Old 01-25-14, 07:46 PM
Frankers
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 Lexus 250

The two ribbons you have to replace when replacing the whole screen/digitizer.. I get the one you lift up and out and the metal bar. What about the small one on the bottom left. What does each
ribbon do??
Old 02-04-14, 10:47 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Got one in stock. $199 shipped.

Old 02-18-14, 10:44 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to the OP and all other who contributed to this thread. It took two tries (and I don't think it was necessary).

I was about the give up and order a new screen, but I think I didn't wait long enough for the circuit writer to completely dry. I wasn't getting the readings on the multimeter, but decided to put everything back together and wait for a new screen to come in.

When I put it back in about an hour later, half of the screen worked. The following day (presumably when the circuit writer dried completely), the entire screen is back in action.

I had called Lexus Corporate and they wanted me to take it into a dealer and get it diagnosed, and who knows, maybe they would have covered some of the cost, but doing it myself is so much more satisfying. I guess if it fails again, I can always take it into the dealership. $20 for the circuit writer pen is still better than paying a few hundred for labor.
Old 03-01-14, 05:59 AM
Cajunis
Driver School Candidate

Got one in stock. $199 shipped.

Jason I'd like to buy this from you ASAP! How soon can I get it?

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY