IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14 | 01:57 AM
bworth27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jplex919
So I want to give this a try...just to be clear..my screen display is lit up and working...back up camera works too. I tried to do this a while back but I think I half ***'d it...Should I be looking into replacing just the digitizer or the screen also? Help please!
Thanks
There are TWO separate FUNCTIONS here, a bit like a (1) TV set [=Screen] , and the (2) REMOTE CONTROL. [=Digitizer]

It just so happens that these two are sitting on top of each other, and so it is a bit confusing.

If the TV Display is showing it's normal "VIEWING CONTENT", in a matter which is recognised and 'familiar', and responds to some changes in its behavior as expected [i.e. Does the REVERSING CAMERA override/replace the "Agreement" Screen?], then it might just be reasonable to assume that perhaps the "TV" is ok, and that the 'Digitiser' [=REMOTE CONTROL] is at fault?

Now of course it could easily be that the above is incorrect, but my reading of a substantial % of this thread suggest that the 'Digitiser' is the likely fault. You might remember that the initial 'FIX' was for a faulty Digitiser (ribbon cable failure)

Frankly, I would even SKIP trying to 'fix' the current Digitiser with the conductive pen on the basis that the original ribbon cable DOES NOT have a great track record, and may fail elsewhere /(again) ?

My honest recommendation would be to just order the Digitiser first, then when it arrives, just quietly and sensibly proceed with the two previously detailed posts, and rip into it!

Get a case of beer, a bar-b-que, and a few cocky mates, and away you go!

Seriously the posts mentioned above are SO THOROUGH that you stand a VERY HIGH chance of success!

Best Wishes,

P.
in Sydney.
Old 05-11-14 | 11:03 PM
Nd4Spd03
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

Touch screen just stopped working last week - same dealio. Stuck on the intro "I Agree" screen. Super frustrating.

Anyways, great DIY description. I am generally fairly DIY inclined, but honestly don't have a ton of time right now.

Is there anyone in the greater Los Angles area that has either done this and would be willing to help out or can anyone recommend a place that will do it fairly cheap?

Thanks!
Christian
Old 05-12-14 | 03:03 PM
Steaky
Driver School Candidate

This thread really is a great help! Thanks to all who made the helpful contributions.

I just successfully replaced the touch panel on my IS 250 this evening! My first attempt about three weeks ago was to repair the ribbon cable connections of the touch screen with the circuitwriter pen which actually then worked for some time. But then the touch screen started making problems again.

Since the car and the touch screen had been used alot I decided to look for a new touch panel and I found and bought this one for USD 44.99: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-Naviga...-/261264060454
It showed lower resistances with the multimeter than the original one, but the seller ensured me that it fits the IS 250. And sure enough it works great and looks good! The screen looks even clearer and brighter now. The only downer is that the touch panel has a bit of rainbow like color tones. But I can live with that.

The touch panel is glued to the screen frame on three or all four sides along the edges and with a depth of about 3mm. You can separate the touch panel by cutting with a razor or thin knife under the panel along the edges. Post #232 from Tankdriver shows some pictures of the original and the new touch panel.

Some glue remained on the screen frame, so I simply positioned and carefully pressed the new panel on the screen. That was enough to keep the touch panel in place. With the metal frame the screen can then be slightly pressed together.

Here's a really good video that shows how to dismount the navigation unit from the car and how to perform the circuitwriter pen solution:

Looking back I would buy a new touch panel right away. Why:
- The circuitwriter pen solution is a bit more difficult and delicate.
- It's very well possible that the circuitwriter fix will not last very long.
- A new touch panel doesn't cost (much) more than the circuitwriter pen.
- You then have a new touch panel and not one that may be worn out anyway.

Last edited by Steaky; 05-13-14 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Additional information
The following users liked this post:
VMA (08-17-17)
Old 05-14-14 | 01:45 PM
teefar
Driver

Well I'm part of the club now . My touch screen no longer works. Mine is a SIlver 08 with the light gray interior. WTF Lexus?
Old 05-15-14 | 12:00 PM
Gville350

^Lexus didn't make the NAV unit. But for them to stand back and not see this VERY common issue (like the water pumps going out) and not to do anything about it is just crap.
Old 05-20-14 | 11:19 AM
teefar
Driver

Default This showed up on my facebook feed-

its corny but this must be becoming a big thing. lol
Old 05-27-14 | 07:48 AM
OOO_ROB
Pole Position

Just repaired my screen that has been out for 3yrs +.. quick easy fixed with the circuit writer pen. Got to have patients and let the writer heal and take effect for at least 24hrs but everything works great now. i have control of all my functions now. shouldve tried this along time ago.
Old 05-28-14 | 10:06 AM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

Default Down again...

So we (my husband and I) fixed the screen in my car with the circuit writer pen diy back in December and it worked like a charm. All functionality was restored....UNTIL this morning.

We had temps in the 90s this past weekend and my car was parked outside some of the time while we were away on holiday. I drove it last night and used the screen with no problems whatsoever. This morning I got in and started on my way to work, it worked fine at first but about 30 min into the drive, it started going haywire. Clicking all over the screen on the map function and then once I cut it off and back on, now its stuck on the stupid "I agree" screen again.

I was REALLY hoping this problem was fixed. He went ahead and fixed all four connectors / connections on the screen since we saw that some ppl were having to go back later and fix the others but something obviously has went wrong again. Before, all touch function stopped but I can touch weird parts of the screen, like the corners and it will click a button on the opposite side. But it's very random. And I can't use the "I agree" screen at all.

So is my only solution at this point to get a new unit since we did all 4 connections before?? Or could I just replace the screen like some others here?
Old 05-28-14 | 12:05 PM
Gville350

^Yeah, sadly the circuit writer pen method seems to be a "temp" fix and the best thing to do is just to replace the entire screen. It isn't but $100-150, and plenty of us have purchased them from overseas with positive results.
Old 05-28-14 | 03:49 PM
jlb5685
Driver School Candidate

So it oddly started working again a few minutes ago but I know its only temporary if its already started messing up.

So I've looked at the screens on ebay before but was leary of spending that money to get a piece of crap. What are some of the best ones / best sellers? And is there a diy on installing the new screen?
Old 05-28-14 | 06:28 PM
Gville350

There are several links to ones other members have purchased from within this thread.

The screen replacing is easier than the circuit writing; just disconnect a few clips/ribbons, unscrew, screw, reattach clips/ribbons.
Old 06-22-14 | 11:27 AM
Nd4Spd03
Driver School Candidate

Well I tried the circuit writer fix. After pulling it out initially I couldn't get any readings with the multimeter period so I just did all 4 leads. After leaving it for a few days to dry, it was actually giving me the correct resistances. Just put it back in the car, and doesn't seem to be working.

Right after putting it in, I actually clicked a couple random spots on the screen and it registered somewhere else (hitting a diff button), but that only lasted a couple clicks and now it is non-responsive again.

IDK what else to do, so I guess my next step is ordering a digitizer and just replacing that...
Old 06-22-14 | 06:37 PM
Gville350

^That, or a new screen altogether.

GL!
Old 06-25-14 | 03:42 AM
Lexusnme
Driver School Candidate

Is there anything done during routine maintenance at the dealership that could cause the nav system to fail, are they operating it to reset the maintenance schedule, etc.
it was working fine before I brought my car in, then when I returned to pick up my car the screen was frozen. The dealership is trying to claim it was broken before they ever touched the car, but this is not true.
Any suggestions what might have happened...
Old 06-25-14 | 03:50 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

^^^r u still under warranty? If so, take it back and let them fix it.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY