IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-20 | 05:42 PM
82ndABN
Driver

Yes sir - I found that AMP link a few weeks ago. My AMP was in horrible shape. Looked like SpongeBob was driving her around "under the sea"! It was so rusted / corroded it was well beyond ANY HOPE.

I purchased a defective AMP on eBay for $70, but so far my attempts to get it to work - haven't brought it back.

If the ignition is off - the AMP works just fine, START the car and ALL HELL BRAKS LOOSE. Popping,clipping - humming - it's all there and intolerable.
I wish the AMP thread had a photo detailed instruction set - as it's like a moonwalk for me - out of my pay grade, but with a proper tutorial - I'll give it a try.

REALITY CHECK -
The AMP may wind up being shipped to an eBay repair company. I see one who does the higher end ML AMP, and if I can't find a local techie to do the deed - eventually it will be mailed away to an expert.

I DID buy the OEM replacement rubber/plastic vents that failed - who knows how many tears ago - so this weak link will be REPAIRED.

Again, TY for all the help with the navigation screen repair - so detailed EVEN I COULD DO IT !!!
Old 09-07-20 | 06:39 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Originally Posted by 82ndABN
Yes sir - I found that AMP link a few weeks ago. My AMP was in horrible shape. Looked like SpongeBob was driving her around "under the sea"! It was so rusted / corroded it was well beyond ANY HOPE.

I purchased a defective AMP on eBay for $70, but so far my attempts to get it to work - haven't brought it back.

If the ignition is off - the AMP works just fine, START the car and ALL HELL BRAKS LOOSE. Popping,clipping - humming - it's all there and intolerable.
I wish the AMP thread had a photo detailed instruction set - as it's like a moonwalk for me - out of my pay grade, but with a proper tutorial - I'll give it a try.

REALITY CHECK -
The AMP may wind up being shipped to an eBay repair company. I see one who does the higher end ML AMP, and if I can't find a local techie to do the deed - eventually it will be mailed away to an expert.

I DID buy the OEM replacement rubber/plastic vents that failed - who knows how many tears ago - so this weak link will be REPAIRED.

Again, TY for all the help with the navigation screen repair - so detailed EVEN I COULD DO IT !!!

Will need to verify condition of trunk vents as well (Part 6293012161).
Old 09-23-20 | 05:44 AM
ELexis
Instructor

REALITY CHECK -

Did the new OEM vents you purchased look like the following, and were they purchased from dealership?
Found out why our is250, is350 and ISF audio amps fail (Please review photos submitted for reply #19. Did not want to post photos here, and take up space regarding different topic).
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...amps-fail.html
Old 09-23-20 | 06:26 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

REALITY CHECK -

I have history in electronic repair. Take some pictures and post them. Use the best lighting available and make them clear as possible.
Old 09-23-20 | 05:01 PM
82ndABN
Driver

I so appreciate your following up. I did purchase new replacement vents online (ebay) they appear exactly the same as the OEM's and came bagged in plastic bags marked with OEM Toyota sticker that appears genuine. Once the AMP is repaired I will replace the vents that same day! I am not actually the hands doing the repair. My son-in-law is a techie (IT guy) who dabbles in all kinds of electronic repair - kind of like a hobby. He has rescued numerous other electronic devices (televisions-cell phones- and high fidelety amps/turntable - etc. He is "my" best hope. SATURDAY (Sept26th) he has set aside some time to work on the AMP that needs fixing. I will get some pics. It would be great if this post could be updated with pics of the inside of our problem amps - so others might try their own repairs as well. I WILL update - but in the meanwhile TY for continuing your offer to assist!
Old 09-23-20 | 07:45 PM
ELexis
Instructor

I so appreciate your following up. I did purchase new replacement vents online (ebay) they appear exactly the same as the OEM's and came bagged in plastic bags marked with OEM Toyota sticker that appears genuine. Once the AMP is repaired I will replace the vents that same day! I am not actually the hands doing the repair. My son-in-law is a techie (IT guy) who dabbles in all kinds of electronic repair - kind of like a hobby. He has rescued numerous other electronic devices (televisions-cell phones- and high fidelety amps/turntable - etc. He is "my" best hope. SATURDAY (Sept26th) he has set aside some time to work on the AMP that needs fixing. I will get some pics. It would be great if this post could be updated with pics of the inside of our problem amps - so others might try their own repairs as well. I WILL update - but in the meanwhile TY for continuing your offer to assist!
Thank you for follow up regarding OEM vents received. I too was concerned about possibility of items received not being genuine OEM, and thought that's why new parts received varied slightly from ones removed. Was told part has since been revised. If / when possible, would appreciate you posting photos of the new vents you received, and the vents removed from vehicle, once you're able to do so here;
Found out why our is250, is350 and ISF audio amps fail.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...amps-fail.html

Here is a video tutorial on removing / replacing the vents. Thought it might prove helpful;
DIY: Lexus ISF IS250 IS350 rear duct vent replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVL1Sm4CGo0
Old 09-26-20 | 08:36 PM
82ndABN
Driver

Well, my bad luck - the repair attempt described as "a serious resodder job" at multiple sites, was done before I expected - and no photos taken.
I missed my opportunity.
The amp STILL was malfunctioning - and did it ever get "hot".
I sold it already on eBay for exactly what I paid for it. Hopefully that person has a professional repair facility.
I was clear on its condition. Problem is - none of these are available other than used and take your chances !

I will update in the future as I search options.
Old 05-07-21 | 11:59 PM
jz1219
Rookie

Originally Posted by Husni08
Nvm, turns out to be for Mark Levinson packages.. But I still have two issues! My physical buttons on the bottom aren't working and when I click Map it tells me that my external system isn't connected. Did I miss something?

did you ever fix it? I have the same problem after I replace the lcd
Old 05-08-21 | 12:36 AM
jz1219
Rookie

I just replace my LCD screen from ebay it have raindow effect. Now the navigation , destination and menu button the screen comes blank or it will have white lines. But the left side audio , info , display side works and the touch screen works. Navigation was showing up before the lcd replacement. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thank you!!
Old 03-05-22 | 02:30 PM
asheikh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jelkhour
I just got the digitzer from German Audio Tech, got fooled by their cheating add (they say it is new and it is toshiba, but after seeing this screen) i am sure it is not new nor toshiba.
I just measured the resistance for the pins, and did not match those listed:
"The resistance between pins 1 and 3, and 2 and 4 should be about 500 and 1700 ohms." mine are half those values.
Should i proceed and uninstall the dash, or should i return this digitizer and get a new one from somewhere else? will it work?
Did you manage to get yours working. I have ordered several digitizers which have a different resistance from my original and none of them worked. The ones I ordered are resistance of 260 and 725. Similar to what you are reporting. When installed the digitizer, the navigation detects the touches at different locations from where i pressed
Old 03-12-22 | 05:58 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Originally Posted by asheikh
Did you manage to get yours working. I have ordered several digitizers which have a different resistance from my original and none of them worked. The ones I ordered are resistance of 260 and 725. Similar to what you are reporting. When installed the digitizer, the navigation detects the touches at different locations from where i pressed
If you are looking for a digitizer that works perfectly check out ours. We had these manufactured because of the problems with others on the market. https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...izer-assembly/
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 03-12-22 | 07:08 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Originally Posted by asheikh

Review REPLIES # 521 & # 538 (Ebay Seller CARBONDNA also sells the touchscreen digitizer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/33155518086...sAAOSwGMtfw~Yr
The following users liked this post:
Mr2KiEu (03-13-22)
Old 03-12-22 | 08:23 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

We also sell just Digitizer if thats what you need. https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...gitizer-panel/
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 05-25-22 | 06:13 PM
65beto
Rookie

Hey fellas, I just purchased a 2012 IS250 with navigation and 28500 miles. Is this year model suffers from the same navi issues?
Thanks
Mr2KiEu (05-26-22)
Old 05-26-22 | 02:27 PM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 65beto
Hey fellas, I just purchased a 2012 IS250 with navigation and 28500 miles. Is this year model suffers from the same navi issues?
Thanks
Yes all 2nd Gen IS could possibly have the frozen navi or black LCD screen issues. It's more common on the 2006-2009 models. I've seen it rarely on the 2010-2013 models.
65beto (05-30-22)

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY