IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Damage from scraping. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 12:15 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damage from scraping. Advice?

Ever since i have lowered my car I have been scrapping on certain dips and driveways. I dont mind scraping since i expected to scrape at times, but i didnt expect damaging the shield(s). For the THIRD time i have damaged one of the shields underneath the car (plastic piece that protects undercarriage)

Its really annoying because it hangs to the ground, scrapping everywhere. The first time, i replaced it and it costed me around $250. The part was pretty pricey. It happened again maybe 6 months later. I had my mechanic zip tie it. Then recently after a mild car accident, i saw another front shield hanging on the ground. I temporarily duct taped it so it doesnt scrape the ground. Im not sure if this is a different section of the same shield or another shield. The first damaged shield is near the center, and the second is on the front passenger side, close to the wheel.

have you guys been damaging this shield as well? No one really talks about it. Is there any other solution rather than replacing it? Or is there any advice on how to avoid this after i get it replaced? My car isnt lowered nearly as much as some of you guys, so i would think that you guys have had this problem as well.

I drive carefully, maybe not careful enough
Old 01-02-12, 12:19 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
Ever since i have lowered my car I have been scrapping on certain dips and driveways. I dont mind scraping since i expected to scrape at times, but i didnt expect damaging the shield(s). For the THIRD time i have damaged one of the shields underneath the car (plastic piece that protects undercarriage)

Its really annoying because it hangs to the ground, scrapping everywhere. The first time, i replaced it and it costed me around $250. The part was pretty pricey. It happened again maybe 6 months later. I had my mechanic zip tie it. Then recently after a mild car accident, i saw another front shield hanging on the ground. I temporarily duct taped it so it doesnt scrape the ground. Im not sure if this is a different section of the same shield or another shield. The first damaged shield is near the center, and the second is on the front passenger side, close to the wheel.

have you guys been damaging this shield as well? No one really talks about it. Is there any other solution rather than replacing it? Or is there any advice on how to avoid this after i get it replaced? My car isnt lowered nearly as much as some of you guys, so i would think that you guys have had this problem as well.

I drive carefully, maybe not careful enough
Why don't you just remove it? If your dropped that low you might as well. It does nothing but protect the underside of the engine bay from getting dirty but most cars do not have this shield anyway.
Old 01-02-12, 12:20 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...the second is on the front passenger side, close to the wheel.
Sounds like the air diffuser is being damaged with the car being too low. There is another one on the front driver's side as well.
Old 01-02-12, 12:28 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Even though I don't scrape I take drive ways and speed bumps at an angle veeeeeery slow. Lol
Old 01-02-12, 12:34 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by my95tsi
Why don't you just remove it? If your dropped that low you might as well. It does nothing but protect the underside of the engine bay from getting dirty but most cars do not have this shield anyway.
My car is honestly not that low. I think its dropped around 1.5-1.75 inches all around, keep in mind i have an AWD so my car is higher than the RWD model. I dont scrape all the time, its just when i get unlucky on a bad driveway or road. I would definitely remove it if it is safe to remove. I would think that without it other things will get damaged, no? Wont the underside get damaged without the shield on the occasions i scape?

Originally Posted by Sango
Sounds like the air diffuser is being damaged with the car being too low. There is another one on the front driver's side as well.
I'm not sure if anything else is damaged. I'm waiting to go to the shop to check it out since i need to get some body work done anyways.
Old 01-02-12, 12:39 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have yet to lower my car. KW V3 on the way... I had my 300 slammed and even then you have an occasional scrape of two. You just need to take everyone as a learning experience and not do whatever you did again. Like an above post said, "take drive ways and speed bumps at an angle very slow."
Old 01-02-12, 12:43 PM
2IS350DT
Driver

yes, I have replaced a set of those fender liners before.. it is a pain and it is pricy! I have considered removing them, however, when it rained, water gets into my HID fogs and I burned a set of ballast and bulbs.. I would like to know how people are getting around it riding with out the fender liners..

thanks.
Old 01-02-12, 12:51 PM
6sick6
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those under carriage shields also help with aerodynamics. Keeps the air moving smoothly under the car for better gas mileage
Old 01-02-12, 01:02 PM
bthomas
Rookie

Well, being you asked...put it back to the ride height it was designed for. You have like the BEST designed car ever made, why would you think you could make it better with a $400 kit made in China or who knows where? My 400 is stock and if I were to do anything would be to raise it. You could do as well by loading it down with blocks. IMO
Old 01-02-12, 01:11 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

I would definitely remove it if it is safe to remove. I would think that without it other things will get damaged, no? Wont the underside get damaged without the shield on the occasions i scape?
Do you really think a thin piece of plastic is actually protecting the underside of your car when you scrape? I think not.

If it was made of aluminum or steal that would be another story....
Old 01-02-12, 01:28 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

just yank it off and be done with it...protects against water only. I wouldn't worry about it!
Old 01-02-12, 02:00 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bthomas
Well, being you asked...put it back to the ride height it was designed for. You have like the BEST designed car ever made, why would you think you could make it better with a $400 kit made in China or who knows where? My 400 is stock and if I were to do anything would be to raise it. You could do as well by loading it down with blocks. IMO
Thanks for your input, but I love the way the car looks lowered. Yes, it may not be the "smart" thing to do because it has caused me a bit of a headache, but IMO it's worth it. The AWD model especially is way too high for my taste.
Originally Posted by my95tsi
Do you really think a thin piece of plastic is actually protecting the underside of your car when you scrape? I think not.

If it was made of aluminum or steal that would be another story....
Idk, maybe it would stop something from getting punctured? I only say this cause a metal pipe got punctured last year from something sticking out of the ground. But yes, If people chime in and say that they are doing it without problems, ill definitely consider it

Originally Posted by Sffd103
just yank it off and be done with it...protects against water only. I wouldn't worry about it!
Thanks, this makes me feel a little better. I just wanna hear what others who have had this problem have done, so i can have peace of mind lol
Old 01-02-12, 02:03 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Take some pic brian. I never had that issue at all. But I say keep on cause if the salt on the roads.
Old 01-02-12, 02:43 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Full JDM underbody panels on my IS.

Old 01-02-12, 02:47 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

learn how to drive

Quick Reply: Damage from scraping. Advice?