IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus dealership screwed up my is350!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 10:40 AM
rjvelazque
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus dealership screwed up my is350!!!

A few days before Christmas I took my 2007 IS 350 (56400 K miles) in for a knocking noise in the engine compartment. After the Lexus dealership in Richmond checked it out, the water pump was going bad (56K What’s up with that, My 02 Honda Accord 287K miles only thing every gone wrong is the alternator [ I have even had 2 timing belts changed with water pump as recommended and they have lasted 100K plus each time] ). After the dealership replaced the water pump while under the 60K warranty, 3 recalls fixed (Toyota / Lexus foot peddle deal, value spring issue, and one other I can not think of right now (there is a code on the work sheet). I picked up the car on 12-22-2011 and drove it up to Northern Virginia. I noticed that the heat in the car was a little cool, but at first I did not think of it, then on the way back I had NO heat and about 20-27 miles back towards central Virginia the car over heats and fluid flows out every where with steam. I had to have the car towed back to Richmond Lexus. The dealership after working on the car stated that the "O" ring got twisted, I am only a back yard mechanic at the best of times and I know my limitations so I do not know how this happens especially with my experience with my 287K Honda V6 Accord (see above). Now the dealership has had the car for since it was towed (now 1-3-2012) and they reported they have fixed the car, test driven it, are going to re-pay for the tow, and that the aluminum heads+gaskets+block is OK. I NEED to know if there is any questions or issues I need to ask them before I take possession of this IS 350 that may protect me 10, 20, 30 K miles down the road of having the items above crack, warp, or just break down due to this overheating and fluids going everywhere, any help would be great. This car only has the standard warranty as I bought it used in July of 2011. I have a call into the Lexus in CA HQ for a customer representative to call me, but NO LUCK so far, way to go Lexus; I should have bought an Acura.
Old 01-03-12, 10:58 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got some bum luck dude.
Old 01-03-12, 11:10 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome to CL and you cant blame the lexus for the Tech who worked on your car. It the dealership who hire there tech. As for the water pump that been a common issue on these cars. SInce your at 56,400 the power train is still good till 100,000/7years.
Old 01-03-12, 11:14 AM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to know what they repaired to "fix" it. Just the o-ring, or did they replace other components? As for the block and heads, if there were damage to them (typically warping), you would know that immediately. That isn't the type of damage that shows up years later. A cracked or warped head would leak as soon as they started it up. Find out what all was done to it, if and how they plan to compensate you for their negligent repair, and if they are willing to extend you any sort of additional coverage based on the fact that you are concerned about more extensive damage.
Old 01-03-12, 11:20 AM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

dude got bum luck you some..
Old 01-03-12, 11:25 AM
rjvelazque
Driver School Candidate

100,000 / 7 Years? When I spoke with the service rep. they stated my car has a 5 year 60,000 mile power train warranty. I hope I do not understand the service rep and I have the 100,000 mile / 7 year warranty, I will have to re-call Lexus out in Cali. Thanks for the information.
Old 01-03-12, 11:27 AM
rjvelazque
Driver School Candidate

"I would like to know what they repaired to "fix" it. Just the o-ring, or did they replace other components? As for the block and heads, if there were damage to them (typically warping), you would know that immediately. That isn't the type of damage that shows up years later. A cracked or warped head would leak as soon as they started it up. Find out what all was done to it, if and how they plan to compensate you for their negligent repair, and if they are willing to extend you any sort of additional coverage based on the fact that you are concerned about more extensive damage."

From what the rep. stated they just replaced the "O" ring, not the whole water pump and I do not know if they should have replaced the water pump also, if anyone can give a professional mechanical opinion?
Old 01-03-12, 11:32 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjvelazque
100,000 / 7 Years? When I spoke with the service rep. they stated my car has a 5 year 60,000 mile power train warranty. I hope I do not understand the service rep and I have the 100,000 mile / 7 year warranty, I will have to re-call Lexus out in Cali. Thanks for the information.
Lexus' website says 72 months (6 years) or 70,000 miles for powertrain.
Old 01-03-12, 11:36 AM
delphiDH
Driver School Candidate

i don't think you want to do business with acura dealerships... at least in my area, they are pretty bad.
Old 01-03-12, 11:36 AM
Shervin021
Driver

F that have them fix it according to lexus:

Powertrain Warranty

The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Transmission and Transaxle
Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Rear-Wheel Drive System
Differential carrier assembly, driveshaft, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, axle shaft, seals and gaskets

See your Lexus dealer for complete details on the Lexus Powertrain Warranty.
Old 01-03-12, 12:29 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

It's 100,00/7years for those who had valve spring replace on the powertrain.
Old 01-03-12, 12:35 PM
Shervin021
Driver

i didnt know that, thanks fot the info, at 55k last month bought a extended warranty for 30k or 3 years for my 07 is350 which cover lots of stuff plus door ding, tires and wheels
Old 01-03-12, 12:52 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

+1, on this. I would take it for a good 15-30 minute drive around the dealership when you pick it up, park it let it cool for a few mins, check for any leaks and then head home and keep a close eye out for leaks for the next few months but you should be good.

Originally Posted by laobo979
It's 100,00/7years for those who had valve spring replace on the powertrain.
Old 01-03-12, 04:26 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I would ask, so...what was the amount of warpage on the heads and what amount of material removed from the heads in order to make them flat again? And I'm sure they'll just say they weren't warped. And then I would ask if the heads were even removed. If they say no (meaning they would need to install new headgaskets), then I would ask how do you know whether the heads were warped or not then? If they say yes, then ask what machine shop they outsourced the measuring to because from what I've read online is that Lexus dealerships don't do in-house machine work and that would include (at least I would hope) the use of a professional straight edge, feeler gauges, and pressure testing machine.

And yes, you can have an aluminum motor seal fine and not leak right out of the service dept but end up breaking down again a couple thousand miles down the road. Ask me how I know with my 9 cross-country trips and personal experience of this happening to me in Denver, CO.
Old 01-03-12, 05:35 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Man my heater is blowing cold air now. Taking it in tomm. Hopefully its nothin big. Good thing I have the CPO warranty

Quick Reply: Lexus dealership screwed up my is350!!!