IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 03:49 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Pilkington installed in my wife's RDX and at least 5 other co-workers used the same installer & the Pilkington glass.... everyone is satisfied. I have had it on for about 8 months without issue.
Old 01-13-12, 07:34 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only complaint I've heard about non-OEM glass is the rain-sensing function doesn't work as well. Otherwise, Pilkington is a standard replacement for Lexus glass.
Old 01-13-12, 10:06 PM
sgv2GIS
Rookie

<----Also got a Pilkington glass. No probs whatsoever. I don't see how the glass affects the rain sensor. The only difference between a glass with or without rain sensor is the square clear spot on the top middle section.
Old 01-14-12, 12:19 AM
kegleyb
Driver

Originally Posted by anthrax144
The only complaint I've heard about non-OEM glass is the rain-sensing function doesn't work as well. Otherwise, Pilkington is a standard replacement for Lexus glass.
^^ - Very true. Depending on the year of your car, the windshield has the ability to shed water at high speeds based on the material it's made out of which also affects the rain sensor, unlike a replacement, but that isn't all that important.

I used Glass Doctor for my 2004 GS430 and they screwed up the installation twice, first replacement they cracked, and second there was a ton of wind noise. I complained and called them over and over before someone who knew what they were doing came out and finally did a good job.

If you use a company like this, be very careful because the biggest issue like everyone else has mentioned, is the install (proper molding removal/replacement, insulation & adhesives), not necessarily the quality of the glass.
Old 01-14-12, 11:00 AM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

I had Pilkington, and i have ML stereo, center channel speaker never sounded the same, until they replaced it with a LEXUS windshield again.

Last edited by s6 4rings; 01-17-12 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 12:11 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramsy
Can anyone give me feedback on whether or not an aftermarket windshield is as good as a genuine Lexus windshield?
I would say aftermarket windshields are not as good (whether they are $130 good vs $1,100 good that's another question )

I had my windshiled replaced a couple months ago. They replaced it twice with Pilkington glass. The third time Geico agree to an OEM replacement. I notice reduction mostly in engine noise and road noise (~20% reduction, slight reduction in wind noise). Also, there's slight visual distortion about an inch from the edges with the aftermarket (passenger side). This doesn't really bother me because I only see it while looking horizontally to the windshield.

So, what bothered me was the noise, not the slight visual distortion. If you're not that picky/sensitive about noise or slight distortion at the edge, you can say they are just as good to you ...
Old 01-14-12, 12:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I would say aftermarket windshields are not as good (whether they are $130 good vs $1,100 good that's another question )

I had my windshiled replaced a couple months ago. They replaced it twice with Pilkington glass. The third time Geico agree to an OEM replacement. I notice reduction mostly in engine noise and road noise (~20% reduction, slight reduction in wind noise). Also, there's slight visual distortion about an inch from the edges with the aftermarket (passenger side). This doesn't really bother me because I only see it while looking horizontally to the windshield.

So, what bothered me was the noise, not the slight visual distortion. If you're not that picky/sensitive about noise or slight distortion at the edge, you can say they are just as good to you ...
Lexus windshields have acoustic glass.
I wonder if the aftermarket windshields have an optional acoustic glass replacement.
Old 01-16-12, 12:41 AM
dk626
Driver School Candidate

I've had the original windshield for a year until I got a bad rock chip and had it replaced with an aftermarket. I didn't notice a difference at all and have had it for 2 years.
Old 01-16-12, 03:36 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

My rear windshield defrost don't work because of the idiot that removed my tint and says you lost your defrost -_- 20 years experience my a**. So what should I do?
Old 01-16-12, 04:10 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ms2619
My rear windshield defrost don't work because of the idiot that removed my tint and says you lost your defrost -_- 20 years experience my a**. So what should I do?
Did the person who performed the work disclaimed anything before the start? If he did not then you have a chance that he owes you a new rear window.

I know that getting a tint off a rear window can be difficult. My tint person I see, disclaimed that to me up front and told me that there is a risk it may not work and won't be responsible if it does not work. Stat wise he told me at his shop, within the last 6 years, he said only two rear defrost windows did not work after removal out of so many cars worked on for removal of tint.
Old 01-18-12, 10:49 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

I would get it from Lexus because they will stand behind it better. Do you want to spend $400 and have it suck (wind noise, leak, odd glare)? Now you are out a bunch of money on something you cannot return (We have all done this and suffered from it).
Old 01-18-12, 01:48 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

I have an aftermarket glass on my is300 and I hate it. And for some reason.... it has this nasty water stain etched into it that I can't get off of it.

When I get my IS350's windshield replaced (thanks to a nasty rock hitting and cracking it on the way to california), I will get the OEM one from Sewell.
Old 01-18-12, 02:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This thread made me change my deductible from $500 to $0.
Only $38 more for 6 months.
Old 01-18-12, 04:18 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

A few thoughts:

1) Wise used car buyers and (dealers valuing for trade) often look for OEM glass, because if its not present its often an indicator of a problem (wreck etc) and indicates other cheaper substitutions might have been made.
2) UV protection and acoustic properties of OEM glass is almost always better. Non-OEM might turn out great or it might be noisier and more glare prone.
3) Manufacturing variance is likely to be greater on non-OEM parts, so a perfect might occur sometimes but its less likely (can be leaks, moulding problems, etc)
Old 01-23-12, 10:29 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

This thread has mixed results. So should it ALWAYS be OEM Lexus stamped windshield?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Windshield