IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Would a limited slip differenital (LSD) help me in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 06:26 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

A Quaife LSD is <$1k.
Old 01-14-12, 06:30 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
A Quaife LSD is <$1k.
Hmm, interesting... I found it on eBay for $1037.44. Two people purchased this as well. This might be my next mod for sure!
Old 01-14-12, 06:36 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

$970, and I spoke with them about this LSD :

http://www.autotech.com/quaife/index2.htm

This thread might help you out too :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...is350-yet.html
Old 01-14-12, 07:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Oh snap! Look, an is 350 RWD stuck in the snow/ice.

According to KURTZ and some dude from Longisland........ 350 RWD's are JUST AS GOOD AS AWD in the snow. This guy even had snow tires!!

Man I hope they are eating their words as they watch this video. .

This is PROOF, that in the snow and ice, the awd would be superior to the RWD. Watch it and weep kurtzy
Not really, no. For one thing, I never said that, it'd be better if you didn't put words in my mouth. Perhaps you ought go back and re-read the relevant threads to see what I actually did say since you failed to understand it the first time?

For another-

Another guy posted in this very thread, living in the same place as the OP, and having no problems.

Just as folks living in Canada, Minnesota, upstate NY, and elsewhere have in other such threads.

Which suggests it's not a RWD/AWD issue, it's a driver issue.

Here it is again since you seem to have missed it-

Originally Posted by my95tsi
IMO it seems like you need alittle more exprience driving in the snow. I've lived in Chicago my whole life and it take experience driving in the snow getting out of sticky situation. I also do not use snow tires but rather all seasons and i've never had a problem.
Old 01-14-12, 08:00 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not really, no. For one thing, I never said that, it'd be better if you didn't put words in my mouth. Perhaps you ought go back and re-read the relevant threads to see what I actually did say since you failed to understand it the first time?

For another-

Another guy posted in this very thread, living in the same place as the OP, and having no problems.

Just as folks living in Canada, Minnesota, upstate NY, and elsewhere have in other such threads.

Which suggests it's not a RWD/AWD issue, it's a driver issue.

Here it is again since you seem to have missed it-
Not all drivers have the experience to drive in these conditions. I only have 2 years of experience with driving. You seem like a very knowledgeable person but my question would be how come when I hop into an AWD or FWD car, I have no issues getting around in the snow?
Old 01-14-12, 08:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

To answer the OP's question... Yes and No. Not all LSD are the same. If you have a torsen traction type of LSD, you'll be in the same situation. If one wheel does not have traction at all, it's going to operate like an open differential.
Old 01-14-12, 08:09 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
Not all drivers have the experience to drive in these conditions. I only have 2 years of experience with driving. You seem like a very knowledgeable person but my question would be how come when I hop into an AWD or FWD car, I have no issues getting around in the snow?
That's a great question... In my 20+ years of driving in YUCK, I found that FWD and AWD is much easier to drive in these conditions. It's mainly a torque issue it's easer to pull a sled in the snow than push it. With practice you will learn the tricks of RWD, it just take practice and patience.

Spend some time in a snowy parking lot, you'll get the hang of it. Take an old timer with you
Old 01-14-12, 09:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You answer your own question-

I only have 2 years of experience with driving.
As others have said, RWD requires some more skill in snowy conditions, and you've got very little experience with it, so you don't have those skills. Doesn't mean you can't acquire them.

Then you'll be able to deal with most "from a start" or "hill" situations just fine as the other RWD folks do (and did for most of last century when AWD was a rarity)...while enjoying the superior handling and braking (and mileage and performance) of 2WD

And by all means get the Quaife LSD if you have the means to do so... a lot of folks are curious how well it works, and it would indeed improve your snow driving.
Old 01-14-12, 09:27 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You answer your own question-

As others have said, RWD requires some more skill in snowy conditions, and you've got very little experience with it, so you don't have those skills. Doesn't mean you can't acquire them.

Then you'll be able to deal with most "from a start" or "hill" situations just fine as the other RWD folks do (and did for most of last century when AWD was a rarity)...while enjoying the superior handling and braking (and mileage and performance) of 2WD

And by all means get the Quaife LSD if you have the means to do so... a lot of folks are curious how well it works, and it would indeed improve your snow driving.
Okay, thanks then. I think the Quaife would improve my snow driving. They specifically say both wheels will turn in almost all conditions and that the wheel with more grip will turn instead of the one without traction.
Old 01-14-12, 09:32 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey chi PMd you
Old 01-14-12, 09:37 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Hey chi PMd you
lol
Old 01-14-12, 09:56 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Oh snap! Look, an is 350 RWD stuck in the snow/ice.

According to KURTZ and some dude from Longisland........ 350 RWD's are JUST AS GOOD AS AWD in the snow. This guy even had snow tires!!

Man I hope they are eating their words as they watch this video. .

This is PROOF, that in the snow and ice, the awd would be superior to the RWD. Watch it and weep kurtzy
hahaha too funny just cause your scared to drive RWD in the winter doesnt mean it the car. I drive without any issues. I see 60yr old ladies driving LS460 during a winter storm. In fact she even past me up last year i was like what . Just cause you have AWD doesnt mean i wont see you on a snow bank off the road either.
Old 01-14-12, 11:20 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, it's mainly experience. When I was new to driving and first time driving in snow - I drove it with soft throttling in mind and no problems.

Didn't you say you would practice in the church parking lot? If so, have you even did it yet? I belive I recall you mentioned about it.
Old 01-15-12, 05:34 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
hahaha too funny just cause your scared to drive RWD in the winter doesnt mean it the car. I drive without any issues. I see 60yr old ladies driving LS460 during a winter storm. In fact she even past me up last year i was like what . Just cause you have AWD doesnt mean i wont see you on a snow bank off the road either.
I can drive RWD just fine in the snow.... had an 88 Mustang for years that I'd take out.

In fact, even in this photo I hardly had to use 4wd.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...88435958_n.jpg

From this guys video....with snow tires......tell me AWD wouldn't be a better choice? I'm just starting up the old awd vs rwd argument, where people say AWD IS models are stupid and pointless and have NO advantage over RWD because if you KNOW what you're doing you can handle snow just fine.

Well...... after owning only RWD cars for my whole life, until this AWD Lexus......I can tell you that even if you know what you're doing, in the snow and ice, there's def. an advantage to having an AWD car. You all can go on thinking how awesome of a driver you are in the snow (while you use traction control the whole time, HA!) and I'll just have the car figure it out for me.

Last edited by J3ffrey; 01-15-12 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 06:32 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will it help yes, but its not worth for the money for the rare occasions you get stuck like that but hey its your money.

Quick Reply: Would a limited slip differenital (LSD) help me in this situation?