IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Would a limited slip differenital (LSD) help me in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 06:33 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
Will it help yes, but its not worth for the money for the rare occasions you get stuck like that but hey its your money.
So far this winter......yup probably not needed. However, last year we had 8 big storms in a row. It was WELL worth the "extra" (but then again i didnt pay extra for it) $$
Old 01-15-12, 08:11 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
From this guys video....with snow tires......tell me AWD wouldn't be a better choice? I'm just starting up the old awd vs rwd argument, where people say AWD IS models are stupid and pointless and have NO advantage over RWD because if you KNOW what you're doing you can handle snow just fine.
But again, nobody has actually said that.

You're inventing what is called a straw man. A flimsy argument nobody actually made, just so you can knock it down.

What people have said is that the places AWD does offer an advantage in a sub 400 hp car are very, very very narrow and limited... and they come with a lot more dis advantages that are relevant more often and more significantly.

That's what I've said, that's what the other guys getting around just fine in the snow with RWD have said.... it's what Car and Driver and others have said based on actual testing of RWD vs AWD.

Because that's true.

Well...... after owning only RWD cars for my whole life, until this AWD Lexus......I can tell you that even if you know what you're doing, in the snow and ice, there's def. an advantage to having an AWD car.
Yes there is. It'll beat a RWD car in a drag race on snow. It will also climb very steep hills that RWD can't do (grades greater than 10-15%, which very few IS drivers will be climbing in the snow). So for the very few times these situations come up, AWD is better.

On the other hand, the AWD car will cost several grand more upfront, be slower than the RWD off of snow, give you inferior mileage 100% of the time. It will also be inferior in the snow for both stopping and emergency handling.... you know, things that avoid accidents.

Which is worse, a car that if you're not an experienced driver you might have trouble getting moving up a hill... or a car you might have trouble not getting into an accident with going highway speeds?

Because the RWD car is #1... the AWD car is #2.... and again that's just the 0-20% of the year there's snow...the other 80-100% of the time RWD wins all categories as well as costing less up front.

But really, if you're just "starting up the old awd vs rwd argument" you should take it one of the old AWD vs RWD threads and bump that, rather than jacking this one.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-15-12 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 09:00 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah! This thread is finally heating up!! Here's some more fuel for the fire!

http://youtu.be/bay2axoVt8g

Disclaimer: I live in Florida so I have no snow driving experience whatsoever and I laugh at all the troubles you guys go through just to get around.
Old 01-15-12, 09:25 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Well that guy is either lying or blacked out for a second or two. Then again...when you put ice into the mix I'll def back off the AWD cheering
Old 01-15-12, 09:34 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

J3ffrey that looks like the same pic that one guy that bought the TP 250 awd That had the repo issues was so proud of. I can't remember the name right now. You the same guy?
Old 01-15-12, 09:35 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iRock
J3ffrey that looks like the same pic that one guy that bought the TP 250 awd That had the repo issues. I can't remember the name right now. You the same guy?
Ya, I forgot my password on that account and the CL email never shows up when I request it - I'm one and the same. Car is still a dream, even with carbon buildup worries.
Old 01-15-12, 09:38 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Ya, I forgot my password on that account and the CL email never shows up when I request it - I'm one and the same. Car is still a dream, even with carbon buildup worries.
Good to hear man. AWD FTW! Lol