IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Would a limited slip differenital (LSD) help me in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 12:41 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Would a limited slip differenital (LSD) help me in this situation?

So I'm going to school in the morning yesterday. I leave my garage and I wait for the door to close. I let go of the brake and my car doesn't go. I realized I'm stuck again even with the new snow tires I bought a month ago. There's only 4 inches on snow and it's the first real snowfall so far. I went out the car and recorded a video with the car in D and one wheel is spinning and the other is stuck. Pretty sure if the other wheel would turn, I could get out. I figured a LSD would help in the situation but not sure. I recorded a video with my phone so quality isn't good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w44fjSGu5gw
Old 01-14-12, 12:47 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes if would but with most car you still got to rock it back and fourth with taraction off. Plus it looks like a patch of ice your on.
Old 01-14-12, 12:52 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979
Yes if would but with most car you still got to rock it back and fourth with taraction off. Plus it looks like a patch of ice your on.
Eventually that is how I got out. I put it in Neutral and let the car roll off my garage incline a bit, reverse, drive, reverse, drive until I got enough momentum to get going. That isn't ice I'm on, just compacted snow from the wheel.
Old 01-14-12, 02:26 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From looking at the video, yep - it already lost traction so the other tire does not move.

Have you tried feathering technique or moving with the parking brake on? If done correctly, both wheels should be able to move without making the differential detecting a slip therefore you will not have what you are showing there.

Last edited by Sango; 01-14-12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 03:02 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO it seems like you need alittle more exprience driving in the snow. I've lived in Chicago my whole life and it take experience driving in the snow getting out of sticky situation. I also do not use snow tires but rather all seasons and i've never had a problem.
Old 01-14-12, 04:00 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
From looking at the video, yep - it already lost traction so the other tire does not move.

Have you tried feathering technique or moving with the parking brake on? If done correctly, both wheels should be able to move without making the differential detecting a slip therefore you will not have what you are showing there.
Never heard of this one before. My parking brake doesn't even work ever since I bought the car used. I was hoping to do a parking brake adjustment the other day but didn't have time. Hopefully, I can find a good day to adjust it and try this out.
Old 01-14-12, 04:02 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by my95tsi
IMO it seems like you need alittle more exprience driving in the snow. I've lived in Chicago my whole life and it take experience driving in the snow getting out of sticky situation. I also do not use snow tires but rather all seasons and i've never had a problem.
Well that may be, it's only been like two years since I got my drivers license. No one in my family has a RWD car so I never learned how to drive RWD in the snow with an open differential. I can't think of any ways to get out when stuck except pouring salt around the wheel to gain traction.
Old 01-14-12, 04:09 PM
Sango
Pole Position

A different forum member (forgot who) mentioned about using the parking brake which I was not aware either. It's bascially another form of using the brakes to limit the wheel spin.

Last edited by Sango; 01-14-12 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 04:14 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Found it. It's lobuxracer.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's a lot easier to engage the parking brake a few clicks...it does what you need a LOT better than braking on all four wheels especially in low traction environments.
Old 01-14-12, 04:39 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would have helped but there is a way to not engage the slip using the parking break. Turning off TCS should help though.
Old 01-14-12, 05:43 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I believe Jeff Lange created a thread where he added a limited slip to his IS
Old 01-14-12, 05:46 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeff Lange did make a thread. I don't think thousands of dollars in a limited slip would be worth it.
Old 01-14-12, 05:48 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I saw the thread that Jeff Lange created where he put an LSD into his IS250. Sadly, I have an IS350 and aftermarket options are $2000 I heard. Don't know if it's worth the $2000 so that's why I need to make sure it can help in situations where I'm stuck after coming to a stop where only one wheel spins. Either that or I got to try out the parking brake method to see if that actually works when I find myself stuck again.
Old 01-14-12, 05:58 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh snap! Look, an is 350 RWD stuck in the snow/ice.

According to KURTZ and some dude from Longisland........ 350 RWD's are JUST AS GOOD AS AWD in the snow. This guy even had snow tires!!

Man I hope they are eating their words as they watch this video. .

This is PROOF, that in the snow and ice, the awd would be superior to the RWD. Watch it and weep kurtzy
Old 01-14-12, 06:20 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Oh snap! Look, an is 350 RWD stuck in the snow/ice.

According to KURTZ and some dude from Longisland........ 350 RWD's are JUST AS GOOD AS AWD in the snow. This guy even had snow tires!!

Man I hope they are eating their words as they watch this video. .

This is PROOF, that in the snow and ice, the awd would be superior to the RWD. Watch it and weep kurtzy
Kurtz had some valid points though. I posted about this when I first got the car and he replied to my threads. This year, I did put on much better snow tires hoping this would work. It did work slightly but I still struggle to get around, just not as much as before. It obviously doesn't matter whether it's RWD or AWD for braking. But for starting traction, AWD has it's advantages. The video was taken in the morning while I was going to school along with another friend who owns an IS250 AWD with all-season tires. I was late going to school since I got stuck and he said his traction light never even came on once while mine kept flashing while accelerating from stops. I just need at least two wheels turning. To me, for RWD cars to do as well as AWD cars in the snow, you got to be an experienced driver with tricks to do.

Quick Reply: Would a limited slip differenital (LSD) help me in this situation?