IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Devolumizing amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 01:09 PM
dansk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Devolumizing amplifier

Haven't been here for a while but have a question about a 2008 IS250. My daughter drives this car around and has no respect. Whenever she pulls in it's Boooom Boooom Boooom. I have done some search on this forum and all I can find is upgrades to stereo systems. My situation is a little different, I want less noice produced from radio. Thought about the idea of hiding a volume control before the imput to the amp and would like any suggestions from you folks here. Don't have a wiring schematic for the amp. Any simple quick way to do this and still be able to bring back to stock whenever needed?
Thanks, Dann
Old 01-15-12, 01:13 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that's possible. Unless you disconnect some of the speakers themselves. You could say either you listen or take the car away problem solved.
Old 01-15-12, 01:30 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

You would think there would be factory settings that you could adjust the output like on most aftermarket units...but there isnt. Heck, a password-protected section of settings would be cool; even my frig has this! Lol!

Now, you can probably have an equalizer or gain control switch installed to help. In the mean time, in the sound settings adjust the treble/mid/bass all the way down.
Old 01-15-12, 01:43 PM
dansk
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking about a reostat (or whatever it would be called) in line from the radio to amp. A 4 pole if there is such a thing. Would'nt I be able to control how much signal goes into the amp then? Just a thought and I'm certainly not wanting to screw up the amp just to try.
If that sounds doable, any ideas where to find such a dial switch? Could simply solder in line and at a later date remove it again. Car has already been taken from daughter, but I still want to do this for the future if possible.
Dann
Old 01-15-12, 01:51 PM
Gville350

Does anyone know if the factory amp has a gain control built-in?
Old 01-15-12, 02:22 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you just ask her to show the car a little respect or she wont have a car to drive around anymore?
Old 01-15-12, 02:38 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only such universal signal control ***** that I have seen, are used with interconnect cables (RCAs). There aren't any such cables in the factory audio system, so this is quite a tough one to solve. As for disconnecting some of the speakers, she would just blow the ones that are playing. Telling a young lady not to play it loud just means that she will be sure to turn it down before she pulls into the driveway. Trust me, my wife is the same way! Check with a reputable (and very experienced) car audio shop and see what they tell you.
Old 01-15-12, 02:42 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Icy350
why dont you just ask her to show the car a little respect or she wont have a car to drive around anymore?
just give her the same speech we've all heard~ 'until you start paying the bills you do it my way'
Old 01-15-12, 02:51 PM
dansk
Driver School Candidate

I know what you guys are saying about just asking her to cool it. That's the problem, she thinks she's cool. Oh well, maybe when the car is taken away for a couple of months, it might help. Spent 2 days detailing it, what a mess. I don't even want her to drive it anymore. Other issues with her also. It's TUFF LOVE time now.
But please keep this question in mind in case any of you have a solution. Doesn't even have to be the way I'm thinking about going at it. Anything, even outside the box.
The only reason I was thinking of a inline volume control is this. If one was to cut the imput signal to the amp, there would be no sound coming out. Right? If I could control by resistance or other means how much went into the amp, I was hoping that would do the trick. Then she can blast all she wants and the volume switch I put in would be at a set setting. She would not know where the control was, she would only have the radio to turn volume on.
Dann
Old 01-15-12, 04:56 PM
dansk
Driver School Candidate

How about something like this.
http://www.svideodot.com/10-105.html
I would have to cut off RCA input plugs and solder inline. Would this work?
Dann
Old 01-15-12, 05:19 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

remove the radio fuse
Old 01-15-12, 05:54 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by dansk
How about something like this.
http://www.svideodot.com/10-105.html
I would have to cut off RCA input plugs and solder inline. Would this work?
Dann
That's quite a simple solution there, but will it work if soldered inline? That's a question for the audio-pros.
Old 01-15-12, 06:20 PM
dansk
Driver School Candidate

Nah, that wouldn't be fun, I need to drive it also, just don't need the high volume. Hope there is a solution.
Dann
Old 01-15-12, 06:40 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Non ML or ML? I have the wiring diagram if you want it.. shoot me a PM.

Theres no gains on the stock amps? Maybe I'll check mine this week when I work on the car.
Old 01-15-12, 07:05 PM
dansk
Driver School Candidate

I'll post the part number in the morning. Don't know what ML is.
Dann

Quick Reply: Devolumizing amplifier