IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$10k Engine Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 04:26 PM
sop
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any time. Since this was a huge issue and they showed how good they take care of their customers, I thought it would be helpful for others if (hopefully not) that have major issues with their 2IS.
Old 01-16-12, 06:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice of Lexus Corporate to take care of you like that. I'm sure most other's would have left you hanging with a car that doesn't run properly. I've always been a fan of Lexus customer service, they are always very nice, glad to hear they hooked you up so nicely
Old 01-17-12, 05:52 AM
sop
Rookie

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Very nice of Lexus Corporate to take care of you like that. I'm sure most other's would have left you hanging with a car that doesn't run properly. I've always been a fan of Lexus customer service, they are always very nice, glad to hear they hooked you up so nicely
They will give you great customer service also if you treat them nicely and play it correctly. You wouldn't expect such great service if anyone barged in saying "Why didn't you guys fix this issue when you knew about it?" or something in those terms. I have a colleague that had major transmission issues but it was a design flaw also. He also took the time to talk with the dealer and corporation to get his car done free of charge.

Patience is key.
Old 01-17-12, 09:51 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sop
They will give you great customer service also if you treat them nicely and play it correctly. You wouldn't expect such great service if anyone barged in saying "Why didn't you guys fix this issue when you knew about it?" or something in those terms. I have a colleague that had major transmission issues but it was a design flaw also. He also took the time to talk with the dealer and corporation to get his car done free of charge.

Patience is key.
I agree 100%

Too many people call all angry and demanding when they are having issues and act like corporate should just cut them a check.
Old 01-17-12, 10:03 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree that we must be professional all the time... especially when you want something done for you. I have used Lexus warranty quite a few times. On one occasion, my rear cup holder broke. It cost about $500 to replace! I contacted my SA, he said no because that is not a mechanical item. SA told me to call Lexus and i did. I reasoned with Lexus that the cup holder is mechanical because it has gears within it when you open and close it. With this reasoning, Lexus approved the replacement. Lets hope the new pistons work out for me!
Old 01-17-12, 12:30 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sop
This all started out with a misfire that I was having for some time. I have changed spark plugs and ignition coils since those were the easiest components to reach and replace. The misfire did not go away at all. It would randomly come back on and usually during a cold start. My car is out of warranty for quite some time, 2006 with 90k miles.

So I did some research and found out that the issue was near the valves. I took it to the dealer stating that I have a check engine light on. They gave me a loaner car for the time being. I received a call from the dealer. They diagnosed the car and gave me recommendations. I reviewed them over night and told them that I would be okay with the listed recommendations from them. I had to cough up some money in order to get them fix this issue without charging me.

I took their recommendations and received the car back. I drove the car for about a week and the check engine light came back on. Brought it back to the dealer and they took a look at the car. They found some left over top end cleaner and cleaned it out. I got the car back once again.

I drive the car about a day and "surprisingly" the check engine light came back on. Brought it back to dealer once again. They called up Lexus and they replaced the pistons, valves, water pump, and some other small items all on courtesy of Lexus. Finally got the call that the car was finished and pick it up.

Driving the car since and no issues. Conclusion to this whole fiasco is that Lexus has great service if you are willing to play nicely with them. They handled the situation professionally. Would I think about purchasing a Lexus again the future? Yes, I would.
This is why I always service and repair with my dealer. They build this professional relationship and its nothing but great service from there.

Glad to hear you're up and running with little to no real hassle.
Old 01-17-12, 05:04 PM
haido84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
This is why I always service and repair with my dealer. They build this professional relationship and its nothing but great service from there.

I agree, I normally do my services at dealership to build the relationship in case this type of situation arises. They are normally more willing to take the extra steps with a regular customer.
Old 01-17-12, 06:22 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10k... um... not really cheap...
Old 01-23-12, 10:41 AM
sop
Rookie

More car issues being seen after repair. Check the first post to see more details. This may be valuable information for your situation.
Old 01-23-12, 11:52 AM
will_is250
Driver School Candidate

Actually your car may have still been under the powertrain warranty, even at 90k. I also had the pistons and other engine parts replaced this past December on my 08 IS250 and the dealer informed me that Lexus corporate had extended the powertrain warranty from 70k to 100k miles due to the known problems with the engine. I'm not sure the year or VIN range, but this is useful for anyone else on here to know they may still be under warranty without knowing it.

...I ended up selling the car a week ago, having the engine opened up 3 times before 60k is enough to scare me away from risking it after warranty lol
Old 01-23-12, 12:43 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by will_is250
Actually your car may have still been under the powertrain warranty, even at 90k. I also had the pistons and other engine parts replaced this past December on my 08 IS250 and the dealer informed me that Lexus corporate had extended the powertrain warranty from 70k to 100k miles due to the known problems with the engine. I'm not sure the year or VIN range, but this is useful for anyone else on here to know they may still be under warranty without knowing it.
This was true of the IS350 which suffered from the valve spring recall, but I haven't heard of this being the case for the IS250. If it can be confirmed I'm sure IS250 owners would love to hear about it.
Old 01-23-12, 05:07 PM
sop
Rookie

Originally Posted by will_is250

...I ended up selling the car a week ago, having the engine opened up 3 times before 60k is enough to scare me away from risking it after warranty lol
I have actually asked for the power train warranty and it was expired through their system. I am just still shocked that there were these kinds of major issues on the 2IS when the IS300 was pretty much a bullet proof 2JZ motor. Either way, Lexus definitely has some awesome customer service.
Old 01-23-12, 07:04 PM
teefar
Driver

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX

Agreed, even if it's just oil changes and inspections.
Old 01-23-12, 08:31 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

I guess depends which dealership, i had bad experience with my local lexus delaership, and its a nightmare for me.
Old 01-24-12, 07:14 AM
sop
Rookie

Originally Posted by Herofmine
I guess depends which dealership, i had bad experience with my local lexus delaership, and its a nightmare for me.
That is true. I was just fortunate that the dealer I was with was very nice about everything. Worst case, just call up corporation and see what they are willing to do for you. They will set something up for you.

Quick Reply: $10k Engine Repair