Strange Sound from Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 10:12 AM
InzaneIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Strange Sound from Dashboard

Everyone-
I have read through many posts here and I am looking for help and guidance from you all.
I have an 08 Lex IS 250AWD 15K miles on it, I have recently added a GROM IPOD kit to this car which is amazing.

I have noticed since then I hear this stange noise its almost like when you have a cell phone loose in the glove compartment and as you are turning it moves and crashes into the glove box walls.

at first I thought something was loose so i have check the glove box and nothing there this noise as I have decribed above comes every now and then and it almost sounds like some platic object loose by the passanger side and it does not always happen. I don't have the rattle everyone is talking about and its not the loud poping noise that everyone is talking about.

its this annoying nosie of a loose plastic object in the center/passanger side dashboard.

can someone please provide where can i look to isolate this noise if possible?
Old 01-31-12, 10:25 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What does installation of the GROM IPOD kit involve?

And how are you sure it's something totally unique and not related to the infamous dash rattles/squeaks/pops that afflict almost every 2IS? My car suffered from bad dash rattling and over the year before it was fixed, I think I heard every different type of sound imaginable from the dash - rattle, pop, squeak, crack, crash, etc.

You've removed absolutely everything from the glove compartment and driven around to confirm it still happens?
Old 01-31-12, 10:58 AM
InzaneIS
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Calvin, Thanks for the prompt response.

The GROM IPOD integration kit involves removing the center ac dual vents and removing the radio and pulling it out and plugging the wire on the back of the readio and simply putting everything back together.

so now to answer your second question, how do I know its not the infamous dash rattle.
Well I am not sure Calvin maybe it is the infamous rattle but then what gets me is that it does not happen all the time and when it does its consistant and that drives me crazy.

So my option from here is to go my dealer and ask them to investigate why I have this noise and GOD forbid if i am unable to reproduce it then I would look like a lunatic.

if it is the dash rattle I would need to take it to dealer and have them apply the TSB which fixes the dash rattle? fom your post I am asusming that you had the same issue and you got it fixed?
can you please tell me how did you get it fixed? and did they tell you what was causing it?
Old 01-31-12, 12:25 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just noticed your year and mileage, are you still under factory warranty? If so, I'd recommend just taking it in and getting it checked out. The issue there though is that if they know you've installed this kit and removed all that stuff and put it back in, they'll likely blame it on that and say it's not covered.

There is a TSB for the dash rattle. I would recommend searching CL for "dash rattle" or "dash popping squeaking" or something similar, there's a long thread on it. But performance of the TSB by a dealer when out of warranty costs close to $1000 due to the labor hours involved.

There was nothing special as far as I know about the repair of the dash rattle on my car. It involves removing the dash pad and putting insulation on pretty much everything. There's a lot of real estate under there though and things can get missed or insulation can come loose, which causes the noises to recur requiring another repair trip. The main cause of the dash rattle is the clips that hold the dash pad in place, they're located right underneath where the dash meets the bottom of the windshield.

Was this issue happening before you installed the kit?
Old 01-31-12, 01:52 PM
InzaneIS
Driver School Candidate

Calvin,

I bought the car used with this milage, and I thought it was certified pre owned and came with the CPO warranty. anyhow if i were to take everything out and take it to them, lol which is shady will they cover it then? because i am prety sure they will ding me for it.
I also see another issue as i see a gap in the center vent also thinking maybe i did not put it right
i did take it apart several times and still have that gap....

I wish they made this car a bit better then this...
Old 02-12-12, 04:50 PM
soonerlaw1
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Our "road" to getting the QUIET LEXUS WE PAID FOR

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I just noticed your year and mileage, are you still under factory warranty? If so, I'd recommend just taking it in and getting it checked out. The issue there though is that if they know you've installed this kit and removed all that stuff and put it back in, they'll likely blame it on that and say it's not covered.

There is a TSB for the dash rattle. I would recommend searching CL for "dash rattle" or "dash popping squeaking" or something similar, there's a long thread on it. But performance of the TSB by a dealer when out of warranty costs close to $1000 due to the labor hours involved.

There was nothing special as far as I know about the repair of the dash rattle on my car. It involves removing the dash pad and putting insulation on pretty much everything. There's a lot of real estate under there though and things can get missed or insulation can come loose, which causes the noises to recur requiring another repair trip. The main cause of the dash rattle is the clips that hold the dash pad in place, they're located right underneath where the dash meets the bottom of the windshield.

Ugh. we went thru this.
Here is what we did to get a quiet car
(cam shift gears instability/ movement caused our dash to rattle. Squeak. Amd sometimes the passenger seat. >only when passenger seat was empty. Which Is 80% of my ride)

We went thru this and because it was 400 miles of warranty left. We began a lengthy process. After 8,000 more miles /7 appointments SERVICE had to cover ours because it was prior to the warranty being over

Here is our check list.
Do you have any complaint of squeaks rattles noise etc on anything prior to your warranty expiring?
If so, you must use that to get them to do the following
1 DEMAND NEW DASH CLIPS. (they have not been recalled officially but should be!)
They tried to charge us $600. We said no and showed them of our paperwork of the reported issueS of weird rattles, noisy, squeaky etc prior to warranty expiring.
2 Tell them you want the entire dash, behind stereo, anything with open space FILLED WITH INSULLATION! We even have it down in our doors!
3. Make sure your cam shaft gear is stable and not moving. That was sending movement up thru our dash.
4. Tires. If you don't have smooth tires, it makes all that even worse
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum (tried Michelin, Bridgestone, continental).
This Kumho IS THE MOST AHHMAZING QUIET TIRE. ALL MY ISSUES SOLVED.

I LOVE LEXUS. THE LOOK ETC. BUT THE RATTLES ABOUT BROKE MY SANITY AS I SPEND WELL OVER 2 hours a day in my car.

NOW IT'S ALL SMOOTH AND THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE
I hate it that it took all this but the end result was it did work!

Ps. Our friend said "it's a nationwide issue from 20006- 2010" with these dash clips
Rattles behind stereos and instability by cam shaft gears. So when or if you hear a service rep at Lexus reply "really? Wow?!! That's just not Lexus character" etc. STAY on them.
Rattle to them as often as your car rattles at you.
We insisted the service manager go driving with us.
NOW. MY CAR IS THE LEXUS I KNEW I PAID FOR. GOOD LUCK

I will also try to find the thread on hear with rattling. A guy was genuine and wrapped a ton of his wires with electrical tape and anything that could move around or rattle. He stuck it in place with "sticky" felt tape!!!
Old 02-12-12, 04:52 PM
soonerlaw1
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by InzaneIS
Everyone-
I have read through many posts here and I am looking for help and guidance from you all.
I have an 08 Lex IS 250AWD 15K miles on it, I have recently added a GROM IPOD kit to this car which is amazing.

I have noticed since then I hear this stange noise its almost like when you have a cell phone loose in the glove compartment and as you are turning it moves and crashes into the glove box walls.

at first I thought something was loose so i have check the glove box and nothing there this noise as I have decribed above comes every now and then and it almost sounds like some platic object loose by the passanger side and it does not always happen. I don't have the rattle everyone is talking about and its not the loud poping noise that everyone is talking about.

its this annoying nosie of a loose plastic object in the center/passanger side dashboard.

can someone please provide where can i look to isolate this noise if possible?

SINVE YOU ARE UNDER WARRANTY. DO ALL THIS

Our "road" to getting the QUIET LEXUS WE PAID FOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin2376

Ugh. we went thru this.
Here is what we did to get a quiet car
(cam shift gears instability/ movement caused our dash to rattle. Squeak. Amd sometimes the passenger seat. >only when passenger seat was empty. Which Is 80% of my ride)

We went thru this and because it was 400 miles of warranty left. We began a lengthy process. After 8,000 more miles /7 appointments SERVICE had to cover ours because it was prior to the warranty being over

Here is our check list.
Do you have any complaint of squeaks rattles noise etc on anything prior to your warranty expiring?
If so, you must use that to get them to do the following
1 DEMAND NEW DASH CLIPS. (they have not been recalled officially but should be!)
They tried to charge us $600. We said no and showed them of our paperwork of the reported issueS of weird rattles, noisy, squeaky etc prior to warranty expiring.
2 Tell them you want the entire dash, behind stereo, anything with open space FILLED WITH INSULLATION! We even have it down in our doors!
3. Make sure your cam shaft gear is stable and not moving. That was sending movement up thru our dash.

I LOVE LEXUS. THE LOOK ETC. BUT THE RATTLES ABOUT BROKE MY SANITY AS I SPEND WELL OVER 2 hours a day in my car.

NOW IT'S ALL SMOOTH AND THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE
I hate it that it took all this but the end result was it did work!

Ps. Our friend said "it's a nationwide issue from 20006- 2010" with these dash clips
Rattles behind stereos and instability by cam shaft gears. So when or if you hear a service rep at Lexus reply "really? Wow?!! That's just not Lexus character" etc. STAY on them.
Rattle to them as often as your car rattles at you.
We insisted the service manager go driving with us.
NOW. MY CAR IS THE LEXUS I KNEW I PAID FOR. GOOD LUCK

I will also try to find the thread on hear with rattling. A guy was genuine and wrapped a ton of his wires with electrical tape and anything that could move around or rattle. He stuck it in place with "sticky" felt tape!!!
Old 02-12-12, 08:30 PM
sallydrive
Driver

I have this same problem, my car is in the dealer ship for the 5th time and everything listed in this thread has already been completed. It has about 60K but i'm not going to give up till my car gets silent!
Old 02-13-12, 01:51 PM
InzaneIS
Driver School Candidate

Soonerlaw1 and Sallydrive, I appreciate your feedback, my car is going into the shop next 3 weeks and I will make sure they check everything out for me and I will let you know what do i receive back from the dealership.
Old 02-14-12, 12:05 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by sallydrive
I have this same problem, my car is in the dealer ship for the 5th time and everything listed in this thread has already been completed. It has about 60K but i'm not going to give up till my car gets silent!
I'm impressed by your persistence. I guess I will have to start taking my car to the dealer as well as it's not completely silent. Have a lot of wind noise , do any of you guy's have / had it ?
Old 02-14-12, 12:25 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by soonerlaw1
What's a cam shaft gear ?

I agree with you on the Tires I do need to change these Potenza's soon.

Wind noise though , I don't know what to do yet
Old 02-17-12, 05:33 AM
InzaneIS
Driver School Candidate

Check the weather seal - for wind noise and also your moon roof seals