IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Scratch in Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 11:00 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why sharpie wont work for people with black interior.

I have white scratches in random places in my black interior. A sharpie will at least cover the white marks and make it not that noticeable.
Old 02-06-12, 11:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a similar scratch on my glovebox door. Usually some pressure from a damp cloth gets it out over time, but that's actually made it worse. Oddly, what caused my scratch was a paper bag rubbing the surface as I lifted it off the carpet. Kind of pathetic a paper bag could scratch it so easily.
In the long past, I used to armour-all the interior, but the gloss look has been out for decades, so scratch that. That leaves the black marker idea, if it's a defined line. Mine is more of a blended region without defined edges, so not quite sure what action to take. I've considered airbrushing a light coat of black water-based paint, but that sounds way too risky. Still stumped.
Old 04-08-12, 09:19 AM
isteve2
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I have a similar scratch on my glovebox door. Usually some pressure from a damp cloth gets it out over time, but that's actually made it worse. Oddly, what caused my scratch was a paper bag rubbing the surface as I lifted it off the carpet. Kind of pathetic a paper bag could scratch it so easily.
In the long past, I used to armour-all the interior, but the gloss look has been out for decades, so scratch that. That leaves the black marker idea, if it's a defined line. Mine is more of a blended region without defined edges, so not quite sure what action to take. I've considered airbrushing a light coat of black water-based paint, but that sounds way too risky. Still stumped.
You can scratch the glove box door with your knee and the seam from your blue jeans. Don't use a Sharpie to repair the scratch.. The color isn't even close and it is glossy. I looked in to replacing the door. Lexus will only sell you the complete glove box unit.
Old 04-08-12, 07:19 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

Armoral glossy interior should cover it and blend it in.

But I would try lightly with a rag and a mild solvent, maybe even with wd40. I would test a small section in a area thats not noticable. If it does pull the dye go for it.
Old 04-08-12, 09:50 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

I have my car done by a professional detailer, who warned me as soon as I got the car that the interior was prone to scratches, and to use light soap and warm water ONLY on any surface that was not leather. He was very adamant that using any vinyl/plastic cleaner would damage the surface, making the scratches appear worse and cause discoloration. He's been using this method since new, and has been able to keep everything looking great, even around the door handles where I get slight discoloration from hand dirt/grease. Granted it's a 2011 with 5000 miles and a black interior.... but seems to be working well so far.