IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

mobile 1 extended performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 04:29 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regular convential oil is bad for our cars esp with the carb buildup in our motors, guess ill go back to the regular mobil 1 synthetic
Old 02-09-12, 05:36 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Mobil 1 synthetic (regular version) in my IS, but still change my oil and filter at 3,000 miles. I know that they say you can go 5k, and that you can go even longer with a filter change if you run the EP oil. I have been in automotive retail and service for over 20 years, and do NOT let any of my cars go more than 3,000 without changing the oil. I don't care what they claim, I just refuse to do more than 3k. If you have any intention of keeping your car long term, what is the increase in cost to change it at 3k as opposed to 5k, compared to the cost of a major engine repair? If I have an internal engine failure in one of my cars, it certainly won't be because I went too long without changing the oil in it. As for those that choose to run the EP oil for 10k+, good luck with that. You can check your oil after only a couple thousand miles and it will appear black and burnt. If Mobil says that it can still maintain it's lubricating properties for 10k miles more, good for them. If that is the case, why does the EP only cost about fifty cent more per quart than the regular Mobil 1? I would think it would run $20 per quart instead of $9 per quart....... Synthetic goes in the Lexus and conventional in the Honda, but both are changed at 3,000 miles.........
Old 02-09-12, 05:57 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ THat is a pouring $$$ down the drain

A buddy's IS350 is over 120K miles with 10K mile changes.
Old 02-09-12, 06:35 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

I believe oil technology makes the oil last longer than ever, but am not convinced an oil filter can/should go 10k miles or more.

I have decided not to change the oil myself on this car, so I will forgo the possible benefits of running synthetic oil based purely on the cost of getting the oil changed at my local Toyota dealership ($40 synth blend vs $80 full synth).

On a side note, I do not believe the benefits of full synthetic oil are proven. There are plenty of stories and theories, but no mass proof of the oil extending the life of the motor. Perhaps using synth oil is no better than putting premium gas in a car that does not need it. Just like using Slick50 or Duralube (remember the infomercials?) there are independent tests and many theories, but little proof of the long term benefits.
Old 02-09-12, 07:09 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Slammer, in your 20 years, how many engines have you seen blown specifically because of bad oil? The more likely scenario was low oil or poor cooling (or both.) As many have already mentioned, a UOA will specifically tell you whether or not your oil is still protecting your engine. Considering nobody has provided a UOA showing poor protection from ANY oil, synthetic or conventional, with less than 5,000 miles on it, why would you continue to change your oil at such a high frequency? I can understand it making you feel better but that's all it is, a good feeling. It's doing absolutely nothing for your engine despite how you may "feel" about it.

A little math scenario:
Drive 1,000 miles/month using full synthetic oil @ $6/qt. One person changes oil every 3k miles, another every 10k miles. Total cost of oil change over 5 years:

5 years x 12k miles = 60k miles/year, 60k/3k miles per change = 20 oil changes @ ~ $40/change = $800.
5 years x 12k miles = 60k miles/year, 60k/10k miles per change = 6 changes @ ~ $40 = $240.
5 years x 12k miles = 60k miles/year, 60k/15k miles per change = 4 changes @ ~ $40 = $160.

What could you do with the extra $560 ($640 if you went 15k)? Of course, this is assuming you do your own oil change. Dealers charge ~ $100+ for a synthetic oil change so you'd be out $2,000 vs. $600 ($400). $1400 ($1600) goes a long way towards fixing those engine problems that you'll likely never experience on an IS even changing your oil at 15,000 miles.
Old 02-09-12, 07:46 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do my own oil changes. I get the Mobil 1 from Walmart in the 5qt bottle for around $25 and pay $5 for the Toyota filter from Sewell. The extra expense is worth the peace of mind, IMO. As I said before, if anyone on CL wants run their Lexus for 15k on EP oil with a filter change or two in between, good for them. Just saying it's not for me. As for the number of internal engine issues I have seen, more than you would imagine. People do not take care of their cars the way that they used to. Manufacturers will state that the recommended interval is 5k under normal driving conditions. However, when you read their definition of "extreme driving conditions" (which would require a more frequent oil change) you will find that they are consistent with what 95% of us expect of our cars. Stop and go driving, heavy traffic, extended highway driving, etc...... Again, to me it is worth the peace of mind. So what if I spend more on my oil changes than the person using EP oil and only changing their filter at a 5k mile interval? I know that I am keeping clean oil in my car, and will know that my car's future failure was no fault of my own. To each his own. I encounter numerous people who swear that running the oil for 15k is fine, as long as they change their filter every 5k. That's just now how I think, and prefer to know that the oil in my engine (when I am revving 6k rpm) is clean, new and doing it's job to protect my high end performance car with an engine that would likely cost me for than $5k to replace......
Old 02-10-12, 10:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DKnight350

On a side note, I do not believe the benefits of full synthetic oil are proven. There are plenty of stories and theories, but no mass proof of the oil extending the life of the motor. Perhaps using synth oil is no better than putting premium gas in a car that does not need it. Just like using Slick50 or Duralube (remember the infomercials?) there are independent tests and many theories, but little proof of the long term benefits.

2 specific benefits are very very proven and well known:

1) Longer OCIs. You can run any decent synthetic for 10-15k miles on a 2IS and get an excellent oil analysis report back from the lab (though you'd want a filter change halfway for 15k). With something like Amsoil you could run 20-25k (again with filter changes more often).

2) Catastrophic oil pressure failure protection.

Take two engines. One with conventional, one with synthetic, otherwise identical.

Remove the oil plug.

The conventional motor will die (as in, you need a new motor) well before the one with synthetic will.

Now, reason #2 is a a pretty uncommon case (unless you hit up Jiffy Lube a lot) and the typical owner will never experience this benefit (but it's a real, proven, benefit).

but reason #1 is quite well proven, and saves you time wasted on too-often oil changes.
Old 02-10-12, 11:02 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Kurtz, we both agree the oil lasts longer - there still is no proof the motor will last longer. There may be a savings based on oil change frequency, but that was not my point.

As for running the car without oil (the exact experiment Duralube did on the infomercials), I do not expect that to ever happen. If it does, I think you would be screwed either way (if you disagree, remove your drain plug and drive to Texas - I will buy the beer when you get here).
Old 02-10-12, 01:23 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

^^^^ I think most people run synthetic oil to save on the hassle of frequent oil changes. Well...I do anyways. One oil change per year is nice =)
Old 02-10-12, 02:22 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once a year for me too but it goes through all 4 seasons and a short daily commute so what the hey

get it done every spring then forget it...
Old 02-10-12, 10:35 PM
enlight
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slammer1
I do my own oil changes. I get the Mobil 1 from Walmart in the 5qt bottle for around $25 and pay $5 for the Toyota filter from Sewell. The extra expense is worth the peace of mind, IMO. As I said before, if anyone on CL wants run their Lexus for 15k on EP oil with a filter change or two in between, good for them. Just saying it's not for me. As for the number of internal engine issues I have seen, more than you would imagine. People do not take care of their cars the way that they used to. Manufacturers will state that the recommended interval is 5k under normal driving conditions. However, when you read their definition of "extreme driving conditions" (which would require a more frequent oil change) you will find that they are consistent with what 95% of us expect of our cars. Stop and go driving, heavy traffic, extended highway driving, etc...... Again, to me it is worth the peace of mind. So what if I spend more on my oil changes than the person using EP oil and only changing their filter at a 5k mile interval? I know that I am keeping clean oil in my car, and will know that my car's future failure was no fault of my own. To each his own. I encounter numerous people who swear that running the oil for 15k is fine, as long as they change their filter every 5k. That's just now how I think, and prefer to know that the oil in my engine (when I am revving 6k rpm) is clean, new and doing it's job to protect my high end performance car with an engine that would likely cost me for than $5k to replace......

I thought highway miles were easier on the oil?
Old 02-10-12, 11:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Kurtz, we both agree the oil lasts longer - there still is no proof the motor will last longer. There may be a savings based on oil change frequency, but that was not my point.
Well, you did say you didn't believe any benefit had been proven. Long OCIs is a proven benefit.

As for running the car without oil (the exact experiment Duralube did on the infomercials), I do not expect that to ever happen. If it does, I think you would be screwed either way (if you disagree, remove your drain plug and drive to Texas - I will buy the beer when you get here).
I do disagree. And have personal evidence of it.

I had the oil plug drop out of a $5,000 recently built 383 stroker V8 I owned because I was busy and had someone else do the oil change and they were an idiot.

With conventional oil I'd have been buying a new engine because in the couple minutes it took me after the "HOLY CRAP YOU HAVE NO OIL PRESSURE" light came on to get it somewhere I could pull over and turn it off the engine would be toast.

I was running Amsoil though, and the engine was perfectly fine... was running the hell out of it on a dyno a week later and had it for another couple years without issue.

Again, that particular benefit is a very very uncommon case that doesn't come up much. But it's a benefit. Lobuxracer has discussed it a few times too, and he's built a whole lot more engines than I have.
Old 02-11-12, 05:50 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Kurtz I love your passion! But i think you again make my points:

1. Long OCI's are a benefit in saving money and show the oil is lasting longer - but again that does not mean the motor lasts any longer than a guy doing 5k OCs with regular oil.

2. Your no oil pressure story is the exact non scientific example we all heart about. Can you prove the motor would have seized with regular oil? The answer is no. All you proved is that 1 time it happened your way. That is not scientific.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits of doing less OCs, and the peace of mind of having the best oil in your motor. It makes you feel better, you should do it.
Old 02-11-12, 08:35 AM
birador
Lead Lap

is it always mileage is the basis on doing oil change,how about those cars that stuck on the traffic for hours everyday driving for a shorter miles only?
Old 02-11-12, 10:54 PM
AndysIS
Driver

alright thanks for all the replies guys i probably will pay for a oil analysis but i might change to amsoil i heard that as alot better

Quick Reply: mobile 1 extended performance