CPO Extended Warranty Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 10:22 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CPO Extended Warranty Questions

Hello fellow CL members.
I got my 2006 IS250 Fully Loaded for my graduation present roughly half a year ago.
My parents got a special deal for 1,700$ for extended warranty for a CPO car so they bought it.
I am wondering what exactly does it cover? I have been searching and searching and I cant seem to find anything regarding a CPO extended warranty.
I went to my dealership and it seems like they are charging me left and right for the things I want to get fixed and what not. If anyone has the time and heart, could you point out the direction of where I can find what I am covered for? Even the simple stuff, to the hardcore stuff, anything would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys!
-Sean
Old 02-18-12, 10:48 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPO extended warranty is just for powertrain which is just your engine ONLY....
Old 02-18-12, 10:52 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

So there was really no point in getting CPO extended warranty because it doesn't cover anything? Not even maintenance?
Old 02-18-12, 11:08 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
Hello fellow CL members.
I got my 2006 IS250 Fully Loaded for my graduation present roughly half a year ago.
My parents got a special deal for 1,700$ for extended warranty for a CPO car so they bought it.
I am wondering what exactly does it cover? I have been searching and searching and I cant seem to find anything regarding a CPO extended warranty.
I went to my dealership and it seems like they are charging me left and right for the things I want to get fixed and what not. If anyone has the time and heart, could you point out the direction of where I can find what I am covered for? Even the simple stuff, to the hardcore stuff, anything would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys!
-Sean
This is baffling to me, because simply Googling "Lexus CPO warranty" returns as its first result this page, which answers all your questions: http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/warranty.html

In short, the Lexus CPO warranty is an exclusionary warranty, meaning it covers everything on your car except what is explicitly stated as not covered. This is in contrast to an inclusionary warranty, which only covers what is explicitly stated and nothing else.

These are the parts that are not covered by the CPO warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.

Anything NOT listed above IS covered by your CPO warranty. So it's very nearly as comprehensive as the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty.

As far as the dealer trying to charge you for things, if they're maintenance/upkeep/wear-and-tear related items, then they are not covered and should be paid for out of pocket. I would advise posting here what they're trying to charge you for, and people can tell you if they should be covered or not.

Originally Posted by my1s250
This is just absolutely wrong, and you could have figured that out with one Google search. Do your homework.

Lexus offers two types of extended warranties - CPO and VSA (Vehicle Service Agreement). Within the VSA category there are 3 types: Platinum, Gold, and Powertrain. Platinum covers the most components, Gold covers slightly fewer, and Powertrain covers only powertrain.

So there was really no point in getting CPO extended warranty because it doesn't cover anything? Not even maintenance?
The CPO warranty is the absolute best extended warranty you can get. It covers nearly everything on the car, is $0 deductible, and you get a loaner anytime you drop off your car (among other perks). So yes, there's a "point" to a CPO warranty.

And no, the CPO warranty does not cover maintenance. Because absolutely no extended warranty covers maintenance. Not even the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty on new cars (regardless of manufacturer) covers maintenance. That is always out of pocket.

Again, absolutely none of the above is a secret. It's all found very easily on Google, Lexus.com, or CL.
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Wrong. It covers more than just the powertrain.

Please check your facts next time before posting things like that.

Please read this, it explains what is covered and what is not

Make sure you have the CPO warranty, not one of the other ones offered.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/warranty.html

The CPO warranty is WELL worth it, i've found that out myself!
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Damn, Calvin beat me to it, again =P
Old 02-18-12, 11:19 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

More than powertrain look at the website lmao
Old 02-18-12, 11:22 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Thank you all for taking your time to respond to this
I had found many answers contradicting and the service I was getting at Keyes Lexus was adding on as well
My problem was that my cruise control wasn't working, well technically speaking it was working 4/10 times
The other 6 times it would say check cruise control on my dash.
I went to Lexus and they said it was a connection problem
What I read from the bumper to bumper warranty, it was covered
But the dealership charged me xxx for labor
Sorry if I am poking your nerves with my stupidity with these things
I did try to do my research.
Anyways thanks again
Old 02-18-12, 11:29 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Sometime dealer will work with you even if it not under warranty. Depends on you relationship with the dealer.
At least it taking care of.
Old 02-18-12, 11:31 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you all for taking your time to respond to this
I had found many answers contradicting and the service I was getting at Keyes Lexus was adding on as well
My problem was that my cruise control wasn't working, well technically speaking it was working 4/10 times
The other 6 times it would say check cruise control on my dash.
I went to Lexus and they said it was a connection problem
What I read from the bumper to bumper warranty, it was covered
But the dealership charged me xxx for labor
Sorry if I am poking your nerves with my stupidity with these things
I did try to do my research.
Anyways thanks again
That should have been covered at no cost to you if you have the CPO warranty. It would fall under the electrical/computer or accessories/controls part of the warranty if i'm not mistaken. You mention you already paid $xxx for labor. I would go back to the dealership and ask why it wasn't covered under CPO warranty. Find out why they didn't do it under the CPO warranty and then i'd ask for a refund or report it to corporate if they are unwilling to do so when it should have been covered.
Old 02-19-12, 05:26 AM
kevhitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

For the record, as long as it is a TFS, (Toyota Financial Services) or LFS, (Lexus Financial Services) extended warranty, it is always called a Vehicle Service Agreement. There is no difference whatsoever between the Platinum coverage on a Lexus and the Platinum coverage for any other make and model.

The difference with the car being CPO is that the true cost of the agreement to the dealer is much less and you have extended term options like a brand new vehicle. For example, if a car was non CPO and purchased used outside of the original warranty period, coverage is limited to 3 plan categories and a handful of term options: 1 year/12k, 2year/24k, 3yr/36k, 4yr/48k in Platinum, Gold or Powertrain options.

With a CPO vehicle you still have the Platinum and Gold categories but your terms are as follows: 7yr/100k, 7yr/125k and 8yr/100k, 8yr/125k. Those terms all start at THE ORIGINAL IN SERVICE DATE.

Having worked in the Finance Department of a large Toyota dealership for years, I can offer some insight.

True dealer cost for the NON CPO warranties range from about 400 bucks for the one year to about 1400 bucks for the 4 year as long as its a Toyota vehicle.

The CPO warranty costs 495 dollars for the 7yr/100k coverage and 925 for the 8yr/125k plan.

The CPO "wrap" plans, (extensions to 7 and 8 years) are EASILY the best value. Have your nav screen go out once and true dealer cost to replace one is over 1200 bucks. They retail that job at around double that. An A/C compressor on most Toyota/Lexus vehicles is 1925 bucks installed.

Warranties on cars are no different than any health insurance. You never want to have to use it because it means something went wrong. But would you rather have to pay for your appendectomy or open heart procedure out of pocket or would you rather have someone else foot the bill?

Be VERY thankful you have the coverage but hope you never need it .
Old 02-19-12, 09:15 AM
Egeiger
Driver

you should really just delete your reply to save face and help others searching so they don't accidentally come across your blatantly wrong facts and make poor decisions based on them.

if you're gonna post something so matter of fact make sure its true.
Old 06-29-14, 08:49 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to bring this back from the dead. I noticed my front rubber boots that cover the struts are ripped, suspension is fine I have 97k car still have my CPO are the boots covered?
Old 10-17-14, 09:30 AM
claffeeba
Driver School Candidate

Default so were the struts and boots covered? They want to charge me 1k

so were the struts and boots covered? They want to charge me 1k and I am still within 3years 100k miles of CPO warranty on an 2007 GX470

Thanks
Old 11-18-14, 02:41 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by claffeeba
so were the struts and boots covered? They want to charge me 1k and I am still within 3years 100k miles of CPO warranty on an 2007 GX470 Thanks
No it's not. I never changed them. Good for now.