IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No extended warranty on replaced items?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 04:36 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No extended warranty on replaced items?

Say the shop replaces your alternator. Bmw offers a 2 year 24k warranty on that part.

Does lexus really not offer a warranty on that specific part outside of the normal warranty? What if they replace it at 69,999 miles?

Now imagine yourself as me.

67600 on the clock and got a whole new short block and water pump due to a bunch of grooves inside piston #3.

What if the motor falls apart at 80k in 6 months ? Am I really not covered by anything?
Old 02-24-12, 05:43 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Whenever the dealer replaces a service part that's not wear and tear (although everything is technically wear and tear) you have a 12 month warranty from defects or install error from Lexus.
Old 02-24-12, 05:54 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

If a part is replaced outside of warranty (customer pay) by a Lexus dealer: parts & labour are warranted for 1 year.
If a part is replaced by a non-Lexus dealer: part is warranted for 1 year, labour is not covered.
If a part is replaced within the warranty period, it is covered for the remainder of the warranty period or 90 days, whichever is longer. (The 90-day extension is a Canadian thing, I assume the USA does the same, but cannot say with 100% certainty).

Lexus makes a commitment to you at the time you buy the car to cover components for a certain period of time, once this time period/mileage is over, they no longer have any commitment to cover those parts. They do make exceptions though, either by extending the warranty (rare), or by using a goodwill program and covering a portion of the repair. Warranty always starts from the beginning of the coverage period, not from when the replacement happened, this is not limited to cars, it's pretty much the case for every consumer product out there.

If they didn't replace your engine and the motor fell apart at 80k in 6 months would you be covered? No. So why would you expect to be covered because they just gave you a free engine?

(Honestly if that did happen 6 months from now, I'm pretty sure they would probably do something to help you out, Lexus usually does, but they are not obligated to, nor is that a part of their warranty policy!)

Jeff
Old 02-24-12, 07:13 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
If a part is replaced outside of warranty (customer pay) by a Lexus dealer: parts & labour are warranted for 1 year.
If a part is replaced by a non-Lexus dealer: part is warranted for 1 year, labour is not covered.
If a part is replaced within the warranty period, it is covered for the remainder of the warranty period or 90 days, whichever is longer. (The 90-day extension is a Canadian thing, I assume the USA does the same, but cannot say with 100% certainty).

Lexus makes a commitment to you at the time you buy the car to cover components for a certain period of time, once this time period/mileage is over, they no longer have any commitment to cover those parts. They do make exceptions though, either by extending the warranty (rare), or by using a goodwill program and covering a portion of the repair. Warranty always starts from the beginning of the coverage period, not from when the replacement happened, this is not limited to cars, it's pretty much the case for every consumer product out there.

If they didn't replace your engine and the motor fell apart at 80k in 6 months would you be covered? No. So why would you expect to be covered because they just gave you a free engine?

(Honestly if that did happen 6 months from now, I'm pretty sure they would probably do something to help you out, Lexus usually does, but they are not obligated to, nor is that a part of their warranty policy!)

Jeff
My argument is - so this motor needed to be replaced at 67000.. what happens if this one only lasts another 60k.....is that supposed to be ok?
Old 02-24-12, 07:18 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

I'm not saying it's okay or not, just saying that's how it is.

Jeff
Old 02-25-12, 06:16 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I'm not saying it's okay or not, just saying that's how it is.

Jeff
Yea I understand, I'm not very hopeful as it came back with new noises, crappy brakes and the steering takes more effort now.
Old 02-25-12, 07:37 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local Lexus dealer offers lifetime warranties on the repairs they do. The catch? They charge double (or more) than what it would cost to do it yourself and it's not transferrable, which is good for them as most people don't keep their cars for more than 5+ years.

http://jml.jmlexus.com/Lifetime_warr...ertificate.pdf