IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brake Fluid and Spark Plug Threads? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12 | 10:00 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Smile Brake Fluid and Spark Plug Threads? HELP!

Okay, i've been searching for hours trying to find GOOD threads on repacing the Spark plugs, and Brake Fluid on my 2007 IS250 for it's 60K service.

Can anyone PLEASE give me some good advice or links! Much Appreciated!
Old 02-24-12 | 10:59 PM
Marexus
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ease-read.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...necessity.html
Old 02-24-12 | 11:10 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Lol i've looked at both of those. THe spark plug one is very basic, and I wan't to see a little more detail! And still no brake fluid flush.
Old 02-24-12 | 11:44 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

You tube has some good brake fluid flush videos.
Old 02-24-12 | 11:53 PM
Marexus
Driver

Originally Posted by sallydrive
Lol i've looked at both of those. THe spark plug one is very basic, and I wan't to see a little more detail! And still no brake fluid flush.
It's not that hard to do once you get into it and start unbolting things...biggest thing is make sure you have all the tools and replacement gaskets for the job.
Old 02-25-12 | 01:00 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by Marexus
It's not that hard to do once you get into it and start unbolting things...biggest thing is make sure you have all the tools and replacement gaskets for the job.
I asked the Lexus dealers parts department, they said I don't have too replace the intake gaskets?

And I guess, i'm just scared i'll do something wrong and be stuck with a dead car at my house!
Old 02-25-12 | 02:46 PM
azndriver
Driver

For Brake Fluid...

I suggest ATE Superblue Brake Fluid

and if you going to a brake fluid flush, maybe you should consider running some stainless steal lines..

in a sense both a mods but yet will improve brake feel and IMO safety of the vehicle, due to less flex in the lines when you are in a situation where you have to do an immediate stop, less flex, improve braking but to totally improve braking you gotta change the brake pads

But just good fluid and lines alone are still an improvement over stock
Old 02-25-12 | 02:52 PM
Sconnie
Rookie

I just did brake fluid today at the dealer. It was $112 which isn't too bad I guess... I do most things, but I'm a little afraid to do that!
Old 02-25-12 | 03:14 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

ATE Superblue Racing fluid is great, if you don't want the blue though, or want to be able to tell you've flushed the lines, consider TYP200 as well, it's the same fluid, but yellow instead of blue. That way you can alternate between Superblue and TYP200 and be sure you've got all the old stuff out.

Jeff
Old 02-25-12 | 03:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Don't waste your money on expensive brake fluid unless you track your car. Sure, ATE and Motul (Brembo, Castrol, etc.) make great fluid, but you;ll never know the difference between these and Wal-Mart Supertech if you don't track your car.

The easy way to tell you've successfully flushed is simple - brown fluid is bad. Clear fluid is good.

If you are truly afraid you'll break your car, spend the money and have it done by a professional. I don't do this, but I grew up with race cars and engine builders. Nothing on a car scares me to fix. If spark plugs replacement scares you, it's really not something you should consider doing yourself to save a few dollars.
Old 02-25-12 | 04:28 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Might be a waste of money, but it feels good man.

(I have stock fluid in my car. I might track it next year, so we'll see).

Jeff
Old 02-25-12 | 04:49 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

+1 for ATE Super Blue, we use that on all the DE cars at our shop and for the price ($18) it can be beat. If you have an extra pair of hands a brake flush is not hard at all, just make sure you start from the wheel furthest from reservoir and work your way to the one closest to it, also I don't like pumping the brakes while bleeding brakes on ABS cars, just put pressure on pedal and open bleeder screw and so on, hope this helps
Old 02-25-12 | 05:24 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Well I already got the Toyota Brake Fluid, it seems good enough. I don't really track my car.
Old 02-25-12 | 05:32 PM
eviljarv
Driver School Candidate

That will work for sure, I just used ATE cause I have cases of it at the shop. If you need help flushing the brakes feel free to contact me
Old 02-25-12 | 06:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by azndriver

and if you going to a brake fluid flush, maybe you should consider running some stainless steal lines..

in a sense both a mods but yet will improve brake feel and IMO safety of the vehicle, due to less flex in the lines when you are in a situation where you have to do an immediate stop, less flex, improve braking but to totally improve braking you gotta change the brake pads

But just good fluid and lines alone are still an improvement over stock
The OEM lines are already kevlar, braided stainless won't do anything but make the car less reliable.

Then again, brake pads won't actually stop the car any shorter either, so you might wanna avoid recommending that as a general to-do too.... the only place they'll benefit you at all is on a racetrack, and not by stopping the car shorter.... just by keeping the same distance over more 100+ mph stops without any time to cool.

If you actually want better stopping, get better tires. The tires are what stops the car.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid and Spark Plug Threads? HELP!