IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What to know about powder coats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 06:23 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to know about powder coats?

I should be receiving my 2011 stocks today in the mail. I wanted to get them powder coated Black Chrome before i put the tires on and put them on the car. Anything i should know before i do this? How likely is the rim to be scratched when the tires are being applied? Any speacial cleaning procedures?
Old 02-27-12, 06:56 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are going to have to call around to your local tire installation shops and ask them if they have a touchless tire mounting machine. Here where I live (cincinnati ) tire discounters has the touchless mounting machine. As far as cleaning procedures, I would ask the shop that is going to powder coat the wheels.
Old 02-27-12, 11:46 AM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people are saying powdercoating weakens rims. If you do a search on google, you will see what i mean. Basically, the heat used to bond the powder to the rim, ages the metal at a faster than normal rate, causing it to fatigue.
Old 02-28-12, 08:09 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evogt500
Some people are saying powdercoating weakens rims. If you do a search on google, you will see what i mean. Basically, the heat used to bond the powder to the rim, ages the metal at a faster than normal rate, causing it to fatigue.
Interesting never knew that……
Old 02-28-12, 10:54 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I always use soap and water to wash all my wheels. You can use other stuff, but I never let my wheels get to dirty in the first place.

Some people say this. However when your wheels are sitting out in the sun all day on a track day, they seem to get pretty damn hot. I've never had any problems with PC wheels. Hell some wheels come PC'ed from the factory.
Old 02-28-12, 12:15 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Curing process for powder coating is around 400 degrees F. Thats more than "pretty damn hot". Wheels that have been powdercoatedfrom the factory can be controlled. Since all wheels are heat treated, the manufacturer equals the powder coat heat treatment with the heat treating for durability.
You are basically heat treating it twice, when you powdercoat a rim thats already heat treated from the factory. This causes fatigue.

That being said, not everyone who powdercoated their rims, had failure. But it is a risk. If you really want them powder coated, ask for Low Temperature Curing process. Good luck.

Last edited by evogt500; 02-28-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 12:38 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I've read where brake temps can reach over 400F, there right up against the wheel. Seen a lot of videos with glowing red brakes. No wheel problems. Then again I've run on powedercoated wheels with no problem, as have others. I would not worry about it.

Now if you powdercoat a Rota wheel your just screwed all around....haha just kidding. I've tracked a powdercoated Rota, again no problems.
Old 02-28-12, 01:37 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Rotas are actually quite decent rims for the price range they are in. I have had rotas (not on my IS but my DD) and have run for more than 10 years without problems, and I live in the city voted worst roads in amerca. Most people who had rotas fail on them usually do something stupid.
Yes, rotas are knock-offs of others manufacturers designs, but that doesnt mean they are bad. Another food for thought, Rota slipstreams are knock offs of Spoon Rims. But Spoon Rims are rebadged Regamaster Evos that are made in Russia.
Old 02-28-12, 01:40 PM
kingster
Pole Position

When you do powder coat your rims, I recomend if you don't have them yet, a set of drilled, slotted rotors. The best investment in my car of all. Front rims remain as clean as the rear. Even after two or three weeks without a wash. That will avoid the scrubing or use of chemicals to get rid of brake residue on front wheels.

Enjoy your new wheels
Old 02-28-12, 01:48 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kingster
When you do powder coat your rims, I recomend if you don't have them yet, a set of drilled, slotted rotors. The best investment in my car of all. Front rims remain as clean as the rear. Even after two or three weeks without a wash. That will avoid the scrubing or use of chemicals to get rid of brake residue on front wheels.

Enjoy your new wheels
I do not reccomend Drilled rotors for street use. They crack between the drilled holes. Slotted might be okay, but you do lose some surface area for the brakes, pad wear faster do to being "cleaned" by the slots and you still get dust on rims with any type or rotor.
Old 02-28-12, 02:14 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Not necessarily. If the powdercoater is retarded and doesnt know the cure time and temperature then you'll have a problem.
Old 02-28-12, 02:19 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Oh I don't mind Rota's at all. I've used a few sets.

To the OP, I don't think you will have any issues with getting your wheels PC'ed!
Old 02-28-12, 02:36 PM
kingster
Pole Position

There may be a huge possibility of drilled rotors cracking, but it may all depend on usage and quality. I am very conservative when it comes to driving. I drive under 10k miles a year. I am not so much in traffic where I have to be stoping and going. I also don't apply the brakes a block in advance before actually getting to a stop or red light. I don't keep my brakes on while moving. I have had these drilled/slotted and same break pads for 12k miles already. If I can go another 12K with the same rotors, I figure, they have served their purpose. I will buy the same rotors all over again. NOt a significant amount of brake dust. They look nice.

I guess we each have to consider our driving habbits before purchasing rotors. Drilled/slotted may not be for all drivers.
Old 02-28-12, 03:30 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Yes, quality of rotors is a factor. Rotors with holes/slots casted into them are going to be much stronger than blank rotors drilled into them. But, most manufacturers drill into blanks. And blanks without modifications like drilling/slotting will be much stronger than any of the above. There is not much benefits of a drilled slotted rotor for street use, other than the bling-bling factor. Getting smaller amounts of bake dust fro a drilled/slotted rotor is nonsense. If anything, you should get more dust. Maybe you changed to a different pad material? Who knows.

Going back to the original question, there are some people who get cracks in their wheels from powdercoating, and some do not. It really up to the OP's judgement if he/she really wants that. Do you really want to risk it or not is the question. You can ruin your rim, fenders, brakes, suspension, your wallet, and maybe anyone around you. I hate to be the negative one in this thread but I wanted you to have all the information before you made the choice. Good luck. Shows some pics if you have it done! I am sure they will look sweet.