IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sewell offering 2011+ LED headlights for $1200

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 04:17 AM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suxeLSI003
^With all due respect, the process of having to remove the ballast for the stripped set has been discussed on numerous occasions. I purchased a stripped set knowing clearly that I would either have to disassemble the ballast or buy another pair.

You should have read through the pages before wasting your time at the dealership.

Please note: There is a method to removing the ballast without opening the headlamp.
yeah i saw those posts and found JOE-Z's video where he disassebles the connector of the ballast. I havent seen how to actually pull the whole thing out of the headlight but I will in 2.5 hours when I go there and show them how to do it. Their just being idiots. They did it for the owner of the dealerships son and now they have forgotten all of a sudden?
Old 04-10-12, 05:01 AM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is to find used ballast or buy new.There is a seller on ebay selling brand new oem ballast for $100 each. You would still be saving money from buying the loaded set as well as save yourself the headache of having to remove the old ballast. I imagine the stealership is also charging you an arm and a leg for labor.

Months ago, I was lucky enough to find a used pair of ballast in mint condition for $120. Try local ads, scrap yards etc.
Old 04-10-12, 05:03 AM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

Another option is to find used ballast or buy new.There is a seller on ebay selling brand new oem ballast for $100 each. You would still be saving money from buying the loaded set as well as save yourself the headache of having to remove the old ballast. I imagine the stealership is also charging you an arm and a leg for labor.

Months ago, I was lucky enough to find a used pair of ballast in mint condition for $120. Try local ads, scrap yards etc.
Yeah well they havent charged me anything yet as they havent been able to achieve anything yet! They said they could do it and they havent done anything so they arent charging anything right now. We'll see what happens. I dont want to spend extra money on ballasts if I can reuse old ones without breaking the headlight. I'll update in a few hours.
Old 04-10-12, 06:57 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ANCL
No, what I meant was the procedure one takes to fix this 'years' down the road, should a bulb or two die. Would you have to open up the headlights to replace them (e.g. baking them afterwards, etc.)?

Of course, if they came with any fault -- definitely would be talking to Sewell. I was just referring to the long-term maintenance 4-7 years down the road.
You will have to bake the headlight open like I had done as seen in this thread I made:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-and-pics.html
Old 04-10-12, 06:59 AM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link, this was for my friends car. When i do my little brothers then I'll see i there is another way. Well apparently i got a call not to come by the dealership as they have sorted the issue out. We'll see in a little bit lol. Will post pics.
Old 04-10-12, 02:52 PM
ANCL
Driver

Originally Posted by mong
you shouldn't worry about the LEDs. They SHOULD last the life of your vehicle.. if not longer
Yeah, I figured that much too since they are LED bulbs and not HIDs, still -- the chance is there for a lemon bulb.

Originally Posted by greg0126
Ah, my bad. I don't think anyone has hit that issue yet but as mong said these should probably last a long time. I imagine years down the road someone will figure out how to replace them.

The information in this thread would be helpful if one had to replace them though:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eadlights.html
Yeah, I saw that thread too. I fear tinkering with headlights due to all the potential fogging, dust issues, etc. Definitely not comfortable doing this myself (if I had to).

Thanks for the answers!
Old 04-10-12, 03:12 PM
ANCL
Driver

So you suggest buying the ballast rather than reusing the ones currently in the car? How can you tell the real from fakes for Denso ballasts?

E.g. the buyer you may be referring to:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Denso-D4S...ht_1276wt_1163
Old 04-10-12, 04:06 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

^ it was an option that was still relatively cheaper than buying a loaded set during sewell's promo. You would also have a better chance selling the original headlamp with the original ballast intact.
Old 04-10-12, 05:25 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Man just use the ballast currently on your headlights, why spend $100+ when you have a set sitting at home, look at the video JoeZ posted and youll figure it out sooner or later.
Old 04-10-12, 06:16 PM
speedstar
Pole Position

if you get too aggravated you can always sell me the lights

in return you can have my AFS HID set, free of charge
Old 04-10-12, 06:24 PM
speedstar
Pole Position

wondering if it's possible to retrofit your AFS system in the '12's..

i mean.. '12 lenses, led, bezel and whatnot and reuse your headlight back-housings for the space and mount for the AFS.

and probably include s2k projectors too
..would be the best headlight ever! lol
Old 04-10-12, 07:43 PM
mplopez
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISFBHR
Yeah well they havent charged me anything yet as they havent been able to achieve anything yet! They said they could do it and they havent done anything so they arent charging anything right now. We'll see what happens. I dont want to spend extra money on ballasts if I can reuse old ones without breaking the headlight. I'll update in a few hours.
If you can disassemble the ballast wire that connects to the hid bulb you should just be able to pull the wire down through the housing... No baking needed. Search this foru. I have pics of the disassembled ballast. Pm me if you need more pics
Old 04-10-12, 07:53 PM
ANCL
Driver

^ it was an option that was still relatively cheaper than buying a loaded set during sewell's promo. You would also have a better chance selling the original headlamp with the original ballast intact.
Thanks, makes sense. I'll see if the mechanic/dealership would know how to rewire the current ballast if I take this path, if not, how would you verify the authenticity of the Denso ballasts for the headlights when purchasing online?
Old 04-11-12, 08:47 AM
Traxxer
Rookie

Question Auto-Leveling Not Working

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
I had the TSB 2012 headlamps installed to replace my old lamps from Sewell. But I'm having two issues and hope someone can help:

1. I lost the auto level feature (where the lights go up and down when you first turn them on). I'm told that some 2012 headlamps have this feature (I'm not talking AFS) and some do not. Is this true? Have others lost this function?

2. When my headlights are turned on (not just the LEDs, but the headlights too) there is a faint whining sound coming from the headlamp units. Does anyone know what this is?
Did you figure out what the problem was? My auto-leveling doesn't work either...I also noticed that the headlights don't temporarily stay on anymore when shutting off the car.

I have an 09 IS250 that previously only had halogen lights. I had Tommy set up the lights so that the LEDS turn on when i turn on the car.

Last edited by Traxxer; 04-11-12 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-11-12, 09:03 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxxer
Did you figure out what the problem was? My auto-leveling doesn't work either...I also noticed that the headlights don't temporarily stay on anymore when shutting off the car.

I have an 09 IS250 that previously only had halogen lights. I had Tommy set up the lights so that the LEDS turn on when i turn on the car.
He has a problem, you don't.

Your car doesn't have auto-leveling, it will never work unless you buy an ECU and sensors and wire it up.

Jeff

Quick Reply: sewell offering 2011+ LED headlights for $1200