IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sewell offering 2011+ LED headlights for $1200

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 05:39 PM
d2fresh
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the Canadian settings are different on this? I finally installed the loaded set and here are my outputs:

Setting 0: DRL halogen (no LED)
Setting 1: DRL + LED + Tailights
Setting 2: LED + HID + Taillights

Is there anyway to get just the led on setting 0? I've read the threads and most people seem to be disabling DRL at the dealership, are you guys running LED's as DRL with your taillights on?
Old 04-15-12, 07:43 PM
iamlaloy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These lights are sexy
Old 04-18-12, 01:54 AM
kvl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NimaM
I just installed my headlights and since nobody else posted pictures of their modified bumper brackets, I took some photos of mine.

Does anyone have a pic of their mod bracket for 09-10 model?
thanks
Old 04-18-12, 02:47 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Next go round I will get in one the action. Or try to catch a impulse buyer selling a pair in the classifieds :-)
Old 04-18-12, 06:17 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
sorry i think ill have to be specific here..

when you first install the lights they DRL's will light up when your parkers are on
so to eliminate this i have spliced the dark green wire of the harness to a power source, in my case the ignition wire

once you have spliced this your DRL's will turn on everytime you turn on the car
*note* the DRL's still wont dim when the HID's are on though i am working on this with some relays and such to make it work like oem and also a switch to turn off the DRL's completely

just used another members pic and pointed out the wire that i used
**this fuse box is located on the passenger side (Driver side for the USDM) of the ISX50/F
on my car the wire colour was white with black stripes

another way to make sure this is the right wire is the get a test light and test if the wire gets power when the ignition is on (2nd click)

***i added it on that wire due to the fact that it was the shortest distance between the light and the power source and i didnt want any wires going into the cabin
did you DRL and the LEDs come on the same time? if it is correct, so you can wire to that big wire there? in my case i got the dealer disable the DRL, so therefore, no power from the big wire (IG2), but I found out the IG2 fuse (10A) has power after the car turn on, and cut power after the car shut off, I would buy the add on fuse line and hook it up from there, so I don't have to run the wire through the inside of the car
Old 04-18-12, 07:56 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by d2fresh
Does anyone know if the Canadian settings are different on this? I finally installed the loaded set and here are my outputs:

Setting 1: DRL halogen (no LED)
Setting 2: DRL + LED + Tailights
Setting 3: LED + HID + Taillights
Setting 4: Auto

Is there anyway to get just the led on setting 1? I've read the threads and most people seem to be disabling DRL at the dealership, are you guys running LED's as DRL with your taillights on?
Disabling the DRL is an option for the US cars as it can be disabled through techstream. For Canada cars, it cannot be disabled through techstream because the ECU is different (which has the option). I believe Jeff Lange did say that if the ECU was changed, it should be able to work.

This is where Jeff would come in because he managed to modify his Canada car for the LED it to operate the way it should be when he changed his lights to HID/LED since his vehicle did not have it.

I'll get him to fill in this piece.

Last edited by Sango; 04-18-12 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-18-12, 10:36 AM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Does the width and output of the projectors on these headlights suck just as much as the 06-10 headlights? I'm considering selling my Tsx projector retrofitted headlights and picking up these but I don't know if I can deal with that lack of output haha.
Old 04-19-12, 06:03 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jzsicklexi
Does the width and output of the projectors on these headlights suck just as much as the 06-10 headlights? I'm considering selling my Tsx projector retrofitted headlights and picking up these but I don't know if I can deal with that lack of output haha.
The output is worse. I have already discussed this.. I even have a thread showing the crappy output. The 06-10 had better output.
This is why I retrofitted my 2011+ LED headlights

**Update/EDIT***
Here you go here are my pics
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-and-pics.html
Old 04-19-12, 11:43 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

The new 2012 leds look dimmer than 2011 to me? I think the way they redesign to make it dimmer so it run a little cooler? So it won't bubble again?
Old 04-19-12, 12:15 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CCJ22
The output is worse. I have already discussed this.. I even have a thread showing the crappy output. The 06-10 had better output.
This is why I retrofitted my 2011+ LED headlights

**Update/EDIT***
Here you go here are my pics
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-and-pics.html
Wow that is bad. Nice s2k setup! I wanted those projectors but couldn't find a pair for less than $450 when I was looking
Old 04-19-12, 01:36 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Wow that is bad. Nice s2k setup! I wanted those projectors but couldn't find a pair for less than $450 when I was looking
gracias sir. I found my pair of s2k's for $250 over on hid planet. Check there sir
Old 04-19-12, 04:01 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

In the classifieds??
Old 04-19-12, 06:31 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

In the classifieds??
Yes sir.
Old 04-19-12, 08:36 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

There are a few different types of stock HID projectors in the 2IS. The 06-08 and 09-10 are not the same, they have different cutoffs. I had stock 06-08 headlights, then 06-08 headlights with STi-R projector lenses, and then now stock 2012 headlights. The 2012 headlights have a better (lower) hotspot location and I find the light output better than either of my previous setups. The cutoff is obviously not sharp like with the STi-R lenses, but I found that to actually be more distracting than the soft cutoff of the factory lenses. I have never run any 09-10 HID projectors and cannot comment on them, but I believe them to be almost identical to the 11-12 projectors, they have a much more gradual step than the 06-08 projectors.

I've seen your pics of the stock output versus the S2000 output before CCJ22, but unless I'm missing something I don't see any pictures of any older projectors.

You've said it many times that you think the 11-12 projectors are inferior to the 06-10, but having worked with the 06-08's quite a bit, I can say that I respectfully disagree. What I think we can agree on, is that there are many much better projectors out there, and your new setup is a very nice one. I just can't bring myself to run a rear-mount bulb projector due to the modifications required.

Jeff
Old 04-19-12, 09:04 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by d2fresh

Setting 0: DRL halogen (no LED)
Setting 1: DRL + LED + Tailights
Setting 2: LED + HID + Taillights

Is there anyway to get just the led on setting 0? I've read the threads and most people seem to be disabling DRL at the dealership, are you guys running LED's as DRL with your taillights on?
I'll try to explain this relatively simply, because things can get complicated very quickly. I will break it down:

Stock 2IS w/o(LED), DRL not disabled, install the kit from Sewell:
0: DRL Halogen (no LED)
1: DRL + LED (100%) + Tail Lights
2: Low Beam HID + LED (100%) + Tail Lights
3: Auto

Stock 2IS w/o(LED), DRL disabled, install the kit from Sewell:
0: Nothing on.
1: LED (100%) + Tail Lights <--- This is how people turn on the LED's during the day
2: Low Beam HID + LED (100%) + Tail Lights

Stock 11-12 2IS w(LED), the way it works from the factory when the car is off:
0: Nothing on.
1: LED (50%) + Tail Lights
2: Low Beam HID + LED (50%) + Tail Lights

Stock 11-12 2IS w(LED), the way it works from the factory when the car is running:
0: LED (100%)
1: LED (100%) + Tail Lights
2: Low Beam HID + LED (50%) + Tail Lights

If you want the LED to come on by itself when you start the car without having to turn the light switch to 1 or 2, you will need to do some custom wiring to get power to the LED strips while the car is on (either from an accessory power source, or similar).

Important note: For Canadian models, DRL cannot be disabled in the computer. There are 3 good ways to get around this:

1. Replace the body ECU with a USA-spec ECU so that you can disable the DRL's.
2. Replace the MPX ECU with an 06-10 Euro/Japan-spec non-DRL ECU, or 11-12 LED DRL ECU, this will disable the halogen DRL.
3. Wire in a relay so that the high-beam halogen bulb only gets power or ground when the low beams are on.

I went with the 3rd choice, as I had already modified my car's wiring to run almost exactly how the factory 2011-12 cars do (my DRL's are on whenever the engine is running, but are not tied to the parking brake like the factory setup).

Jeff

Quick Reply: sewell offering 2011+ LED headlights for $1200