Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dam this deal is tempting!! hmmmm....
Old 02-29-12, 07:02 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by texas02118
Guys I need help with these questions
1. The stripped headlights come without the ballast and bulbs, the question is-- Do I have to take the brand new headlights apart to add the ballasts?
2. Can I simply transfer the ballasts (I don't care if I open my old headlights) from my current HID lights?
3. Do the current HID bulbs that I have fit the new headlights?

Any answers on this matter is appreciated. Thanks!
1. No you don't need to take apart the 2012 headlights to install the ballasts.
2. Yes, but you will need to take apart your old headlights or your old ballast connectors to get them out.
3. Yes, they use the same bulbs.

Jeff
Old 02-29-12, 10:11 AM
foam
Driver

Is there a DIY on how to swap everything from my old headlights (like the ballast) to the new 2012?
Old 02-29-12, 11:04 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foam
Is there a DIY on how to swap everything from my old headlights (like the ballast) to the new 2012?
your ballasts is not in your headlights. Is somewhere behind the bumper. When you install the the 2012.. is a plug and play. Meaning you just have to remove your old headlights and put in your new headlight.. without touching the ballasts.
Old 02-29-12, 11:16 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by mong
your ballasts is not in your headlights. Is somewhere behind the bumper. When you install the the 2012.. is a plug and play. Meaning you just have to remove your old headlights and put in your new headlight.. without touching the ballasts.
No, the ballast is in the headlight, it needs to removed from the headlight and installed into the new headlight. You most certainly will need to touch the ballasts, and it will be more than just touching them, you will need to either disassemble the headlight (heat it up), or disassemble the ballast connector (bulb socket) to get it out of the headlight.

I would avoid making such statements if you've no idea what you are talking about, it will confuse people.

Jeff
Old 02-29-12, 11:27 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mistake then.
Old 02-29-12, 11:28 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

Questions inregards to TSIB are addressed in this post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7054067-post25.html .

The lights sewell is selling are the revised headlights
Old 02-29-12, 11:35 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, just food for thought, by our own daily practice we do actively peruse the forums looking for the potential hot topic. If/when we have information to disseminate we'll gladly do so but in times past the same information from another user (a non-vendor) gives more credibility to other readers. For this we simply allow the users to talk amongst yourselves. Do you really want potentially biased comments from a vendor in your threads?

You guys should know, some of the questions in these thread we don't know. We don't know because we either haven't tried it nor have experienced it. Many of you have aftermarket equipment. Well, we never deal with this stuff so we don't know how to answer your questions with any certainty.

As for the bubbling issue and the recently released TSiB here's the gist:

Lexus recently released a TSiB (Technical Support information Bulletin, L-SB-0005-12). This describes some vehicles may exhibit a paint bubbling/wrinkling concern on top of the LED strip panel on one or both headlamps. A newly designed headlight was made to address this concern - this is where the 'eyelashes' come into play. Apparently the lens on the front of the lights acted like a magnifying glass thus extreme temperatures to develop on the surface of the lamp housing. The newer designed lights (with the eyelashes) deflect the light across a larger surface area of the lamp housing.

Any lamp meeting the conditions described above are to be replaced - both lamps. If the your lamps however do not show any visible signs for these conditions you are not eligible for replacement.

The TSiB is not a recall nor a campaign. The TSiB is simply a communication memo from Lexus directed at Lexus personnel on what actions to take in the event of a similarly stated concern. Only a few of you may experience this condition - we suspect hardly any.

Should anyone meet such requirement please contact us by email here and we'll start the warranty process and get a set of new lights to you. We'll ship a new set of lights and the old (defective) lights will be shipped back (within 30 days). Once we receive the lights, we'll forward them onto the Lexus Engineers.

Darrel
Old 02-29-12, 01:08 PM
skottydznt
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mod edit: please keep fs/wtb info in appropriate forum

Last edited by mikes rx; 02-29-12 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 02:08 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
No, the ballast is in the headlight, it needs to removed from the headlight and installed into the new headlight. You most certainly will need to touch the ballasts, and it will be more than just touching them, you will need to either disassemble the headlight (heat it up), or disassemble the ballast connector (bulb socket) to get it out of the headlight.

I would avoid making such statements if you've no idea what you are talking about, it will confuse people.

Jeff
Yikes, seriously? So we ain't exactly talking PNP with these lights here? We'll have to BAKE our stock headlights to pry it apart and remove the ballasts? So where do we mount the ballasts in the new lights?

Why can't I find pics to refer to?...
Old 02-29-12, 02:15 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Yikes, seriously? So we ain't exactly talking PNP with these lights here? We'll have to BAKE our stock headlights to pry it apart and remove the ballasts? So where do we mount the ballasts in the new lights?

Or disassemble the bulb sockets to yank them out without prying the housings apart, or buy new ballasts (from Lexus, eBay, or by getting the "Loaded" set from Sewell).

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-29-12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 02:23 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

mod edit: please keep fs/wtb info in appropriate forum

Last edited by mikes rx; 02-29-12 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 02:45 PM
Legend217
Driver

Originally Posted by IceIridium

You NEED to read this thread. All info and questions already been ANSWERED
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...led-strip.html

You don't need to bake and open up the headlights but only need to dissemble connector to the bulb and remove wire OR you can buy a used set of ballasts
Old 02-29-12, 02:46 PM
All4sho350
Lead Lap

wow so many of us jumping on these...i really liked my AFS tho... amazing price as always Darrel! just got my spark plugs thanks!
Old 02-29-12, 09:20 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

the only downside i see right now to these lights are the annoying afs light will start blinking once you put them in, any solution sewell?

Quick Reply: sewell offering 2011+ LED headlights for $1200