IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

NEED HELP....headlight/electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 03:02 PM
tehsil4d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP....headlight/electrical issues

I actually don't own a Lexus, it's my girlfriend's car. It's an 06' IS 250 AWD, and we've been having an issue with the headlights and I can't figure out what's wrong with it.

So she installed some HID's a while back, the kit was purchased from xenonsupply.com. After she installed the kit the high beams wouldn't work. Also for some reason the switches for the windows on the driver's side didn't work for about a week and then somehow it fixed itself

Recently she has been complaining that the HID's weren't bright enough, so I said I would change everything back to stock. I disconnected the battery as anyone would while working on electronics on a car. removed the ballasts and HID bulbs and what not. Replaced the stock bulbs, and checked if the bulbs were good as well. Both stock bulbs are fine, however only the passenger side is turning on. Also, the brights still don't work, and the window switches on the driver's side aren't working.

I haven't been able to look at the car for a week because she lent it to her brother in law. So I haven't checked the fuses yet which I didn't think to check before giving the car back.

Any help would be appreciated.
Also it seriously bugs me that messing with the lights causes the window switches on the driver's side to not function, so explanation to that would be awesome too.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-28-12, 03:13 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The owner's manual explains that you need to reset the window switches when the battery has been disconnected. You'll need to open each door individually, roll the window down and roll the window back up, all the while pressing the switch down and then up - hold the switch up for an extra 2-3 seconds once the window fully closes up.
Old 02-28-12, 03:17 PM
tehsil4d
Driver School Candidate

Awesome..that takes care of one issue....

now if I can figure out why her lights aren't working properly we'll be set

Thanks man
Old 02-28-12, 03:22 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Np - wish I could help on your other issues. A quick search on Google indicates that the information can be found in section 1-4 in the 2006 owner's manual, page 46 ("When the battery is disconnected"). Credit to Evitzee. If your gf's IS didn't come with an owner's manual, you can call Lexus at the 800 number to have a free copy mailed to her house.

Also if your gf likes brighter headlights, I'd suggest getting some Sylvania SilverStar Ultras - I paid about $40 bucks shipped for mine from Amazon and plugged them in for my high beams. Makes a world of difference compared to the old bulbs - remember that bulbs dim over time. Also running those as standard low beams on a Volvo S90 - couldn't be happier.
Old 03-03-12, 01:04 PM
tehsil4d
Driver School Candidate

Turns out the problem was just the fuses for the headlights and high beams. She must have blew the fuses when she installed the HID lights. We'll give those silverstar bulbs a try. Thanks again for the responses!!