IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Non Flyaudio Navigation system - center vents fitment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 02:57 AM
916lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody has step by step picture of the install and the wiring? I mean it say plug and play but when i look at the back of the aftermarket unit and ours there's still alot of wired left? Could anybody help me out on how to wired the back of the unit?
Old 11-28-12, 01:50 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

um, it's not that hard, the plugs only go in one way. There are other input plugs that you don't need unless you want the reverse camera. There are some instructions here -- it's getting to be a pretty long thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ufacturer.html
Old 11-30-12, 08:21 AM
916lexus
Driver School Candidate

thank you.
Old 12-03-12, 07:22 AM
rockopico
Rookie

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I just got the vents, so which ones did you guys clipped? The green arrows that holds the wire or the white pointed ones? I'm thinking that even with the old vents it's probably possible to clip them and make it fit ...
I wish there was a response to this. Mine still don't fit and I've totally hosed up my dash around the vents by messing with this so much. I almost want to drop $2k just to replace my entire dashboard now...ugh!!
Old 12-03-12, 08:47 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Yeah, I even pm one of the poster, but nothing. Anyways, I unplug everything yesterday. With the radio out, I try to put the '09 vents in. The vent fits very well on the dash by itself -- in fact it fits better than my old vents (my old vents have small gaps in the dash). But unlike the old vents, I know the new vents need to recede in more.

I found that there might be 2 things blocking it. One is on the top, center of the vent there is a clip type plastic that slides into a hole at the center of the dash. This prevents the vent from going in further or go down more to match the nav unit. Another thing could be the air outlet is just too deep to go in right. I haven't try cutting anything yet.
Old 12-04-12, 03:22 PM
rockopico
Rookie

Yeah, I even pm one of the poster, but nothing. Anyways, I unplug everything yesterday. With the radio out, I try to put the '09 vents in. The vent fits very well on the dash by itself -- in fact it fits better than my old vents (my old vents have small gaps in the dash). But unlike the old vents, I know the new vents need to recede in more.

I found that there might be 2 things blocking it. One is on the top, center of the vent there is a clip type plastic that slides into a hole at the center of the dash. This prevents the vent from going in further or go down more to match the nav unit. Another thing could be the air outlet is just too deep to go in right. I haven't try cutting anything yet.
The '09 vents don't fit in an '07 with this nav unit. I've shaved off every tab on the vents and it still doesn't fit! I mean every tab or clip that was called out in the picture posted by a previous user. I've even filed down the tabs on the very top of the nav itself....made do difference to the fit whatsoever. There's still a gap between the vent and the top of the nav unit. Plus, the top of the vents recede into the dashboard (which was an issue from the get go..and still is).

Like you were saying, I think it's totally the luck of the draw as to whether these fit or not. I do think the pitch of the air outlets is what determines the fit...and we can't control this. this is why some have had success and others...like myself...have had bad luck.

My dash around the center vent isn't looking too hot after messing with this so much, but seriously...no one has posted any detailed instructions on how to make these fit, so my gut tells me that no one really knows, which goes back to my previous point that it's luck of the draw.

After this experience, I would almost tell peeople to find a FlyAudio unit for their '06-'08 instead and just pay the extra cost for true plug and play with a perfect fit.

If someone can prove me wrong about the '09 vent I'll gladly go buy another one.
Old 12-04-12, 03:28 PM
rockopico
Rookie

I found that there might be 2 things blocking it. One is on the top, center of the vent there is a clip type plastic that slides into a hole at the center of the dash. This prevents the vent from going in further or go down more to match the nav unit. .
I'm sure you meant "1) is on the the top center of the nav unit, there is a receptacle for the clip which is on the bottom of vent unit". there's nothing on the top center of the vent to mes with.
I just don't want to confuse people even more than I have been with this debacle. lol
Old 12-04-12, 05:26 PM
nosurprise
Racer

no, that's not what I meant. I meant the top of the vent, not the bottom (not the top of the nav unit). The pic below point at the location. Behind the vent there is something that pokes out(I don't know what you would call that), and that goes into a receptacle type hole on the dash at the same location. After finding that out, I wiggle away from the top this morning and it seems better, but still not 100% fit.

As far as I can tell, you don't need to remove the clips from the bottom of the vents, though some posters say so. If you take out the nav unit and take out the vents away from the dash, and you tried to fit them together, the fit is perfect. So there is something in the dash or the air pipes fitting the vents. Some clips might interfere when the whole thing is in, but as far as I can tell, the clips on the bottom of the vent are fine.
Attached Thumbnails Non Flyaudio Navigation system - center vents fitment.-imag0234.jpg  
Old 12-05-12, 01:15 AM
FrictionSc
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

group-buy?
Old 12-05-12, 02:23 AM
Asher
Rookie

The pic that you post is the actuall fitment for your nav its look way better then my https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post7586147
no, that's not what I meant. I meant the top of the vent, not the bottom (not the top of the nav unit). The pic below point at the location. Behind the vent there is something that pokes out(I don't know what you would call that), and that goes into a receptacle type hole on the dash at the same location. After finding that out, I wiggle away from the top this morning and it seems better, but still not 100% fit.

As far as I can tell, you don't need to remove the clips from the bottom of the vents, though some posters say so. If you take out the nav unit and take out the vents away from the dash, and you tried to fit them together, the fit is perfect. So there is something in the dash or the air pipes fitting the vents. Some clips might interfere when the whole thing is in, but as far as I can tell, the clips on the bottom of the vent are fine.
Old 12-05-12, 04:18 AM
rockopico
Rookie

is your car an '06-'08? Your fit looks pretty much exactly the same as mine. I can see the small gap between the nav unit and vents (but your dash sure looks a heck of a lot better than mine after all these attempts.

I would agree about the clips after filing all of them off...they don't adjust the height or the fit of the vents at all. It is something inside the dash....I haven't noticed the place you mention in your picture. I'll have to look again.
Old 12-05-12, 09:08 AM
nosurprise
Racer

My car is '08. I have no damage to the dash. How are you taking out the vents? I use my fingers mostly. You are using a plastic prying tool? I put tapes in the screwdriver before using it. You can try put painter tape around the dash if it's getting scratch up ...
Originally Posted by Asher
The pic that you post is the actuall fitment for your nav its look way better then my https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post7586147
should I quit while ahead?
Old 12-05-12, 05:46 PM
rockopico
Rookie

My car is '08. I have no damage to the dash. How are you taking out the vents? I use my fingers mostly. You are using a plastic prying tool? I put tapes in the screwdriver before using it. You can try put painter tape around the dash if it's getting scratch up ...

should I quit while ahead?
I've been taking out the vents with an actual tool from the dealership (a little wire witha hook on the end), but before that I was using a screwdriver with tape on it. I still managed to hose it up pretty damn good due to that dash material being super crumbly. Instead of a straight line across the top of the vent, I have what looks like a slightly frayed or torn piece of paper. I'm a bit bummed about it to be honest. It would look a hell of a lot better if the top of the vent were not recessed into the dash.

If I were you, I'd definitely quit while you're ahead. LOL. I'm seriously considering spending the money to replace my dash even though that sounds utterly ridiculous. It's all my fault though...I had no idea the dash material was so prone to crumble so easily.
Old 12-17-12, 08:21 AM
rockopico
Rookie

Originally Posted by M88JCP
IamNate, thanks for the help. I tried that and it didn't help. I've now fixed the problem, I had to remove a couple of the tongs on the back of the unit and now it fits perfect.

KrUnIzze, I brought my unit from a company on Alibaba Express - LSQ Shenzen. It was about $520 inc postage.
again, which tongs dude?
Old 12-17-12, 08:32 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes yes yes and YES!

Under no circumstances should you EVER try and pry against the edge of the dash to get the center vents out. I don't care how gentle you are, you're going to mess it up. That corner is ultra sensitive and will crumble.

Grab the vents by the center piece and wiggle it out. Use a hook type tool if you have to. ANYTHING but prying them out against the dash.

A kit like this that comes with hook tools and other will go very far when working with your interior:
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by rockopico
I've been taking out the vents with an actual tool from the dealership (a little wire witha hook on the end), but before that I was using a screwdriver with tape on it. I still managed to hose it up pretty damn good due to that dash material being super crumbly. Instead of a straight line across the top of the vent, I have what looks like a slightly frayed or torn piece of paper. I'm a bit bummed about it to be honest. It would look a hell of a lot better if the top of the vent were not recessed into the dash.

If I were you, I'd definitely quit while you're ahead. LOL. I'm seriously considering spending the money to replace my dash even though that sounds utterly ridiculous. It's all my fault though...I had no idea the dash material was so prone to crumble so easily.

Quick Reply: Non Flyaudio Navigation system - center vents fitment.