IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

6 Denso Spark Plugs $75?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 07:42 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Denso Spark Plugs $75?

Just saw a post on ebay for 6 denso spark plugs for $75 dollars. How good of a price is that?
Old 03-05-12, 07:44 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds about right. Sewell is $77.88 with the CL discount, not including shipping.
Old 03-05-12, 07:51 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Thanks. These include free shipping. Just incase anyone else is interested.
Old 03-05-12, 07:52 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't buy from eBay. There's just no reason. You can get them for the same price from Sewell, a genuine Lexus dealer, and not take the risk that the ones on eBay aren't real OEM. They might not be iridium, they might not be gapped correctly, etc - and you won't know until you install them and start throwing CELs.
Old 03-05-12, 08:12 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Ive been buying from ebay for years. I think as long as you know how to shop on ebay you should be fine. If a seller has near perfect feedback with 10k transactions under him i dont see why you should distrust. Im sure dealers rank much lower on cust satisfaction. if the prices are the same then sure go with the dealer but considering. In this case id probably be saving about $12-$17 on ebay depending on how much sewell is going to charge to ship. Ive had maybe 2 or 3 bad experiences on ebay out of over 100 transactions. Ive been to the dealer 2 times and have had 2 bad eperiences.

+1 for ebay.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Don't buy from eBay. There's just no reason. You can get them for the same price from Sewell, a genuine Lexus dealer, and not take the risk that the ones on eBay aren't real OEM. They might not be iridium, they might not be gapped correctly, etc - and you won't know until you install them and start throwing CELs.
Old 03-05-12, 08:14 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

The link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150769778047...84.m1423.l2649
Old 03-05-12, 08:37 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Mancebof
Ive been buying from ebay for years. I think as long as you know how to shop on ebay you should be fine. If a seller has near perfect feedback with 10k transactions under him i dont see why you should distrust. Im sure dealers rank much lower on cust satisfaction. if the prices are the same then sure go with the dealer but considering. In this case id probably be saving about $12-$17 on ebay depending on how much sewell is going to charge to ship. Ive had maybe 2 or 3 bad experiences on ebay out of over 100 transactions. Ive been to the dealer 2 times and have had 2 bad eperiences.

+1 for ebay.
I'm not saying never buy from eBay. I'm saying that in this particular situation, a potential $15 savings is not worth the risk.

There was just recently another CL thread about a member who bought plugs from someone other than Sewell and installed them only to find his car malfunctioning and throwing CELs. Now he's ordered a set from Sewell and is going to have to go through the installation again.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the installation, but it's not a 10 minute job. If it's your first time, it's going to take several hours and is fairly intensive.

To do all of that, install the plugs, find they don't work correctly and then have to do it all over again with new plugs all to save $15 doesn't seem worth it to me.

Sewell charges $12.98 per plug, and shipping to my address was $11.76, so you're looking at a total of $89.64 vs. eBay of $75. So a savings of $14.64.

Trust me, I'm all about saving money. And maybe these spark plugs are the real deal and are truly iridium and pre-gapped for your car. But I don't think it's worth the risk.
Old 03-05-12, 08:41 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

I see your point. I am familiar with it and a mechanic buddy of mine usually "helps" me and by help i mean he does everything i just hold the light and pass the tools.

I'm not saying never buy from eBay. I'm saying that in this particular situation, a potential $15 savings is not worth the risk.

There was just recently another CL thread about a member who bought plugs from someone other than Sewell and installed them only to find his car malfunctioning and throwing CELs. Now he's ordered a set from Sewell and is going to have to go through the installation again.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the installation, but it's not a 10 minute job. If it's your first time, it's going to take several hours and is fairly intensive.

To do all of that, install the plugs, find they don't work correctly and then have to do it all over again with new plugs all to save $15 doesn't seem worth it to me.

Sewell charges $12.98 per plug, and shipping to my address was $11.76, so you're looking at a total of $89.64 vs. eBay of $75. So a savings of $14.64.

Trust me, I'm all about saving money. And maybe these spark plugs are the real deal and are truly iridium and pre-gapped for your car. But I don't think it's worth the risk.
Old 03-05-12, 08:44 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

I second that
Old 03-05-12, 10:46 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

How about this then? Buy from Sewell because they support this awesome site
Old 03-05-12, 10:46 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw that listing but i ordered from sewell instead......which is about the same
Old 03-05-12, 11:29 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Im prettty sure they do a little more than break even on deal with us not to mention this is a pool of aggressive consumers and enthusiest. kind of like selling water in the desert. Still a great thing though.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
How about this then? Buy from Sewell because they support this awesome site
Old 03-05-12, 04:07 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Just get it from from Sewell.
Old 03-05-12, 04:19 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Just installed my plugs (from Sewell btw) this weekend and no issues. Another thing to consider when buying from Sewell is you can add a bunch of stuff to the order (filters, gaskets, brake pads, etc..) and the shipping only goes up a little bit. So shipping may be $11 for plugs but add in a bunch of other goodies and it ends up like $14 or so. Unless you're getting free shipping on all your Ebay purchases, it may be worthwhile to group up an order from Sewell and be cheaper in the long run.
Old 03-05-12, 05:52 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Just installed my plugs (from Sewell btw) this weekend and no issues. Another thing to consider when buying from Sewell is you can add a bunch of stuff to the order (filters, gaskets, brake pads, etc..) and the shipping only goes up a little bit. So shipping may be $11 for plugs but add in a bunch of other goodies and it ends up like $14 or so. Unless you're getting free shipping on all your Ebay purchases, it may be worthwhile to group up an order from Sewell and be cheaper in the long run.
This!

I added 4 oil filters, some other misc little parts and shipping only went up a couple bucks =]

Quick Reply: 6 Denso Spark Plugs $75?