IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Instrument cluster rattle fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-12, 08:46 PM
Stun350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster rattle fix

How much does the dealer charge for taking care of this? My car is out of warranty. :/
Old 03-07-12, 09:48 PM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im heated with the rattle coming from the center dash speaker =(.. can't find the exact TSB neither =(

maybe this pdf can help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0044-08.pdf (393.9 KB, 726 views)
Old 03-07-12, 10:38 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

same here.. i'm out of warranty... I really want to fix this problem for my car but is so much hassling taking dash off..
Old 03-07-12, 10:43 PM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

It's gonna an arm and a leg, and maybe your kid if you have one. I went over to the dealership to ask and it's a ton of labor. Gonna run you in the high hundreds I believe. I did what another forum member suggested, and I slapped in rubber eraser in the gap, and it isn't noticeable, but it makes a huge difference with the dash rattle. :P
Old 03-08-12, 04:29 AM
thecserko
Driver School Candidate

LamTheSham,

Where did you insert the rubber eraser exactly?
Old 03-08-12, 07:46 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stun350
How much does the dealer charge for taking care of this? My car is out of warranty. :/
There are myriad different types and sources of rattles in the 2IS, unfortunately, so you have to be specific. Your title is "instrument cluster rattle", so I imagine you're talking about a rattle coming only from the gauge cluster behind the steering wheel. This rattle is most often caused by the black plastic bezel surrounding the gauges coming loose and rattling. This thread should answer all your questions:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-cluster.html
Old 03-08-12, 08:32 AM
Stun350
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys. The thread referenced above unfortunately doesn't answer my question about the costs of getting this fixed. I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten this fixed at the dealership out of warranty. Yes my rattle is coming from the black plastic piece around the gauge cluster. I removed the 2 screws yesterday and the clips where they are screwed into in hopes of easily being able to pull it off and then try to diagnose the problem myself. IT appears it will take some significant force to pull the plastic piece off but I'm thinking of trying it out since this noise is driving me crazy.
Old 03-08-12, 10:16 AM
thecserko
Driver School Candidate

Stun,

Did you remove the two screws under the plastic piece, which only accessible if you take out the side cover of the dashboard and then the lower dashboard cover, under the steering wheel? (which contains the trunk opener and other switches)
Old 03-08-12, 11:50 AM
Stun350
Rookie

Originally Posted by thecserko
Stun,

Did you remove the two screws under the plastic piece, which only accessible if you take out the side cover of the dashboard and then the lower dashboard cover, under the steering wheel? (which contains the trunk opener and other switches)
No I didn't remove these. Only removed the top 2 screws in hopes that it would slide off. Glad I didn't force it or else I would've broken it. Did you have this same issue and if so how did you fix it?
Old 03-08-12, 01:44 PM
thecserko
Driver School Candidate

No I didn't remove these. Only removed the top 2 screws in hopes that it would slide off. Glad I didn't force it or else I would've broken it. Did you have this same issue and if so how did you fix it?
Nope, i had the dashboard rattle (under the windscreen) and were helping the technicians in the local lexus dealer when they were fixing it. (or trying).
Do you hear rattles or squeaky noise? Because perhaps it is not your plastic peace, but the instrumental unit itself.

I prefer using grease spray with teflon to cure rattles (sometimes sponge and duck tape). This doesn't mean i had much in my lex, but i had a lot in my passat (bought new).
Old 03-08-12, 01:56 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

This post helped me a lot. I also tightened the two screws that attach the bottom part of the bezel.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6664323-post76.html

There are also two screws that attach the lower panel. Mine were very loose. When I did these two things I've have not had a problem since. And this rattle was driving me CRAZY. Dealer did not help at all...

Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-12, 03:58 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you talking about the rattling behind the cluster that happens when you initially start the car, as the gauge needles go bad and forth? If so, the entire cluster needs replacing. If it's just the rattling noise while driving, just clips and felt....even if your out of warranty, as long as you car is under 50k miles, Lexus will fix it complimentary.
Old 03-08-12, 04:14 PM
Stun350
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Are you talking about the rattling behind the cluster that happens when you initially start the car, as the gauge needles go bad and forth? If so, the entire cluster needs replacing. If it's just the rattling noise while driving, just clips and felt....even if your out of warranty, as long as you car is under 50k miles, Lexus will fix it complimentary.
Complimentary?! Wow! I AM under 50K miles. No it's not the gauges but the plastics. Only happens while driving. Driving me nuts.
Old 03-08-12, 08:53 PM
Trza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same noise. Bothered the hell out of me. I got it fixed for free since my car is under warranty. From the sounds of it, all they did was insulate the bezel. They shredded the hell out of my bezel when they fixed it the first time so they replaced the bezel on a second visit. Currently, I am booking a third visit since they gouged 2 big lines onto the instument cluster cover to remove the bezel...obviously, I am not too happy with the carelessness of the service department.

This is what the service record states "Check for rattle from left of instument panel. Heard by technician, lack of insuation on cluster panel, failed part number 55404-53050"

Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-12, 08:59 PM
Trza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ forgot to mention this is what they did for the correction "removed the cluster panel cover and insulated it, put cluster panel back together and test drove and rattle was gone" This was performed 9 months ago and I have no rattles whatsoever inside the cabin....except for the occassional loud pop when the dash warms up

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster rattle fix