IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

yes... YES... it happened to me :/

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 02:00 PM
AKhanis350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
^^ You'll need to talk to your own insurance company about how they want to handle this now. In a rear end accident like this, this is gonna go one of two ways usually.... Either the guy that hit everyone is going to pay for both cars OR if the driver of the Suburban didn't keep enough of a distance, then its possible the driver of that truck in the rear will have to pay for damages to the Suburban, and the driver of the Suburban will pay the damages on your car (for not having kept a safe distance)

Either way, call your insurance agent, fill them in on and everything and THEY will advise you on what to do. They will figure it out for you.

But damn looking at the front of the Suburban, you can barely even tell that the Suburban hit you that hard.
That truck in the back must have delivered one pretty hard impact
For the sake of not running into headaches down the road, I hope they just total it so you can move on.
I have already contacted my insurance, Allstate. Is there a likeliness that one insurance can look at a car and say its a total loss and another is willing to repair? That's where I'm worried.

Originally Posted by dmvp29
That's a pretty bad assumption. A terrifyingly large number of people most of the time speed anywhere from 5 to 10 MPH over the limit.

It takes quite a bit of self-control to diligently follow speed limit laws.
let me rephrase myself... he was going at least 45...
Old 03-08-12, 03:17 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Thats total lost, from pics you have frame damage. Fixble but i wouldn't suggest. Better get the money from insurance and buy a new car.
Old 03-08-12, 03:20 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry to hear man..glad no one got serious injuries
Old 03-08-12, 03:29 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn sorry to see that..
its gonna be $10-$12K for parts and labor.
Old 03-08-12, 03:51 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Poor car...it'll never be the same again. Now, with permission with the place doing your repair work ask them if you can swap in a aftermarket bumper, exhaust, tail lamps, etc since they'll have to replace and paint everything.

GL!
Old 03-09-12, 12:53 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in a situation like yours. I was rear ended...rammed really. Just by a single girl in a mazda tribute texting. She was going at least 45pmh like your hit. My quarter panel was pushed in like yours....substantial frame damage. this was Dec. of 2010. I has a 07 IS250 with 44k, and total amount of damages of 17.5 k. I went through geico my own insurance. Glad I did! The girl didn't even respond to her own insurance company to report her accident for over 3 weeks. By then my car was almost fixed, instead of just getting started on. Geico decided to fix it...only because I really wanted to keep the car(never again). The body shop couldn't get the trunk to line up ever, especially the tail lights. And the gap between the door and quarter panel was off. I had the body shop manipulate my car for a month and they still couldn't get it right. It wasn't until I called Geico and questioned how they have a geico express contract with them if they can't fix cars right. The next day the owner contacted my and offer to buy the car from me. What a hassle, def. worth just to total it. Go through allstate, the adjuster shouldn't really care. If allstate totals it, they will go after the other insurance company for the money, let them duke it out. Works out for you in the end. I also went to a chiropractor, then physical therapy.....man the physical therapy help out tremendously! And muscle relaxer they give you will become you best friends during this. You take one and the pain is gone! Push for it being totalled.
Old 03-09-12, 02:24 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm sure it's totaled. You should check the body inside of the trunk. I'm sure it's all sore of jacked up.
Old 03-09-12, 02:47 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rookieIS
once metal is bent in/out, and is bent back it will lose its original integrity for sure.. just like mariano^ said the damages could cost ~10k but probably not enough to get the car totaled
A reputable body shop that is worth a damn will fix it right. They will replace the entire panel, tack it into place and weld on the seams.

Believe it or not, $10k in damage from a collision like that is not alot of money. That Lexus held up VERY well. If you look closely, you will see a 1-ton Ram, that rear ended a suburban. The Ram weighs in at 7,000lbs (ish), and the Suburban almost the same. Thats ALOT of energy smacking a Lexus. If the car was driveable (it looks like it was), then I dont think it will be totalled. But with Lexus, the cost of parts adds up...fast.
Old 03-09-12, 07:01 AM
AKhanis350
Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
A reputable body shop that is worth a damn will fix it right. They will replace the entire panel, tack it into place and weld on the seams.

Believe it or not, $10k in damage from a collision like that is not alot of money. That Lexus held up VERY well. If you look closely, you will see a 1-ton Ram, that rear ended a suburban. The Ram weighs in at 7,000lbs (ish), and the Suburban almost the same. Thats ALOT of energy smacking a Lexus. If the car was driveable (it looks like it was), then I dont think it will be totalled. But with Lexus, the cost of parts adds up...fast.
It wasn't drivable, had to be towed, because there was something rubbing against the wheel...

I wonder if there would be any damage to the drive shaft/drivetrain because of the rear end damage
Old 03-09-12, 07:16 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Sorry about the car..glad you're ok though..from the pics it looks like that will be a pricey repair..hopefully Allstate will total it..Where in TX are you located?
Old 03-09-12, 07:28 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to see hope everything will turn out ok !
Old 03-09-12, 07:32 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you really want it total tell them upfront you will be filling a deminished value claim. They'll take that into consideration and will push em over the edge to total it out.

Also this only applies if you're going through the party at fault insurance as (someone me if I'm wrong) you can't go after your own insurance company for a deminished value claim.
Old 03-09-12, 07:51 AM
AKhanis350
Driver

Originally Posted by b16da9
if you really want it total tell them upfront you will be filling a deminished value claim. They'll take that into consideration and will push em over the edge to total it out.

Also this only applies if you're going through the party at fault insurance as (someone me if i'm wrong) you can't go after your own insurance company for a deminished value claim.
that is a good idea... I was planning on pursuing a diminished value claim... Ill reach out to them and let them know
Old 03-09-12, 09:29 AM
Blacksweat
Driver School Candidate

ouch... gl man
Old 03-09-12, 10:22 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

I would have probably flipped out on the 1st driver who hit the 2nd car. Some people just shouldnt be driving...Insane.

Quick Reply: yes... YES... it happened to me :/