IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is Lexus Screwing me? (Cabin Rattle)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 02:45 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is Lexus Screwing me? (Cabin Rattle)

Okay so some of you guys know of the amount of problems my car has been giving me.

Today the service manager has called me and told me they figured out the problem.
He said it was coming from the cars A pillar..? He didn't go into much detail but right after he said its going to be about 10 hours of work and $1400 because my warranty doesn't cover it?! They said Lexus is only willing to pay $600 and I pay the rest?!

I have a CPO with 60K on it. This dash rattle has been coming to my car since about 40K in my car and I have the records to show that i brought it in for a dash rattle and they said "Could not Duplicate" and sometimes when they could duplicate it, they would do other things like dash clips, seat insulation, mirror replacement, dash insulation, etc. But those things never fixed the problem!

Since I brought my car in for this BEFORE my original warranty was over shouldn't it be covered?
Old 03-10-12, 03:05 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would expect them to cover it if the car's had a history of issues with the same things before the warranty expired as well. If the service department you go to won't fix it, call up Lexus corporate and kindly state your situation and the reasons why you feel it should be covered. More likely then not, they will help you out. Lexus corporate has been pretty good about taking care of their customers!
Old 03-10-12, 03:20 AM
sallydrive
Driver

They Said they have already talked to Lexus and they said they would only cover $600 of it.
Old 03-10-12, 03:22 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sallydrive
They Said they have already talked to Lexus and they said they would only cover $600 of it.
Doesn't matter if they talked to Lexus, make a call yourself and let corporate know how you feel about it. I'm betting they will cover the repairs for you (especially since you had issues and attempted repairs before warranty expired) rather than have an angry customer.
Old 03-10-12, 05:21 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Doesn't matter if they talked to Lexus, make a call yourself and let corporate know how you feel about it. I'm betting they will cover the repairs for you (especially since you had issues and attempted repairs before warranty expired) rather than have an angry customer.
+1 - And it never hurts to try. The worst corporate can say is no.
Old 03-10-12, 07:51 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

What dealership is this?
Old 03-10-12, 09:24 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call lexus 1800-255-3987, i did 2 days ago when my HID randomly keep going out i told them look at the service history the car was there when it was under warranty for that issue and all they told me was that they could not duplicate the problem, so they told me take it to the dealership and they will get it covered
Old 03-10-12, 11:42 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay so some of you guys know of the amount of problems my car has been giving me.

Today the service manager has called me and told me they figured out the problem.
He said it was coming from the cars A pillar..? He didn't go into much detail but right after he said its going to be about 10 hours of work and $1400 because my warranty doesn't cover it?! They said Lexus is only willing to pay $600 and I pay the rest?!

I have a CPO with 60K on it. This dash rattle has been coming to my car since about 40K in my car and I have the records to show that i brought it in for a dash rattle and they said "Could not Duplicate" and sometimes when they could duplicate it, they would do other things like dash clips, seat insulation, mirror replacement, dash insulation, etc. But those things never fixed the problem!

Since I brought my car in for this BEFORE my original warranty was over shouldn't it be covered?
I think they SHOULD consult with you that you are incurring charges for inspection on your car.

Without your consent, i don't believe it is fair.

If they said.. if warranty don't cover.. and do u still want to do... and you say YES.. then that's what i gotta worry about..
Old 03-12-12, 09:45 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Originally Posted by greg0126
+1 - And it never hurts to try. The worst corporate can say is no.
Yea, i'll do that later today.

Originally Posted by chikoo
What dealership is this?
Sterling McCall Lexus, Houston

Originally Posted by istundra
I think they SHOULD consult with you that you are incurring charges for inspection on your car.

Without your consent, i don't believe it is fair.

If they said.. if warranty don't cover.. and do u still want to do... and you say YES.. then that's what i gotta worry about..
They aren't charging me to inspect it. They are charging me to fix something that started during the warranty period but could not duplicate till now.
Old 03-12-12, 09:46 AM
calvin2376
Racer

They aren't charging me to inspect it. They are charging me to fix something that started during the warranty period but could not duplicate till now.
Based on this, and the fact that you have records showing you brought it in under warranty and they didn't do anything because they couldn't replicate it, I think you have a strong case for calling Lexus corporate and arguing.

I've had the dash rattle repaired and it seems to be entirely fixed, however I'm having an annoying rattle that I think I've determined to be coming from the A-pillar as well, and I haven't seen any talk of A-pillar rattles on CL before so this piqued my curiosity. Do you have any details on what they think is happening and what's causing the rattle? Or what the fix is?
Old 03-12-12, 10:03 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Based on this, and the fact that you have records showing you brought it in under warranty and they didn't do anything because they couldn't replicate it, I think you have a strong case for calling Lexus corporate and arguing.

I've had the dash rattle repaired and it seems to be entirely fixed, however I'm having an annoying rattle that I think I've determined to be coming from the A-pillar as well, and I haven't seen any talk of A-pillar rattles on CL before so this piqued my curiosity. Do you have any details on what they think is happening and what's causing the rattle? Or what the fix is?
The dealer told me that it something to do with a body joint in the A-Pillar that requires the body shop to work on it, my guess is welding something that is loose. I don't drive the car rough that often and the roads I travel on are not perfect but they aren't bad either. So I really don't think its my driving that caused it. Probably a factory defect.
Old 03-13-12, 12:06 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't this the car which has been in the prior accident before you purchased it at CPO?
Old 03-13-12, 07:35 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
Isn't this the car which has been in the prior accident before you purchased it at CPO?
Yes, but I've decided not to go forward with that claim because it doesn't seem like it would be in my favor after keeping the car for 2 years.

I just really want this problem fixed, it gives me headaches sometimes! :/
Old 03-13-12, 10:47 AM
texas02118
Driver

Let me tell you this, Sterling McCall Lexus will never tell you we replicated the problem. I remember I took my car there because I had the engine noise when starting the car and they said they could not replicate it and to go pick it up. I waited about three hours before picking it up so that the engine could cool down and I told my advisor that I wanted to go with him back there and pick up my car. I took the keys from him, popped the hood, and asked him to put his ear close to the engine. I turned on the car and it made the noise! He was like well we couldn't replicate it but since now I heard it we will go ahead and fix it... They tried to turn me away but couldn't! Be persistent.
Old 03-13-12, 08:31 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Okay so I called Lexus and they said that it wouldn't be covered under warranty:/ But they say that out of goodwill they are paying half of this. I still don't think that this is fair.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Screwing me? (Cabin Rattle)