IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

33 miles for road test during service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 03:07 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
extended periods of time? u mean a dealership service center who deals with all types of problems every day for 6 days a week dont know which bumpy roads, streets, fwys to take in order to duplicate the customer's problem is given a free "road testing" pass? ridiculous. if the tech is unable to duplicate the problem within the first 3miles what makes u think its gonna take another 30? in this case the tech shouldve called u and had both of u go for a ride to duplicate the problem.

this has happen to me where 27miles was put on mysteriesly. i let my SR and the manager know about it and ever since the max miles put on my car when i take it in for recalls/service is 3 at most.
that is ridiculous. you mean to tell me that every single vehicle will make a sound/rattle/crack/crink whatever on the same test drive. I find that so hard to belive that every single car will have the exact same condition. think what you are saying. that IS350 A will make the sound at this exact point, same as IS350 B.

... smh
Old 03-15-12, 04:11 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

so ur saying since the bumpy roads close to the service center was unable to dublicate the problem that they should try another bumpy road 30miles away? smh. like i said, if the tech isnt able to dublicate the problem then it should be made aware to the master tech and if the master tech cant either then owner of vehicle and the tech goes for a drive together.
Old 03-15-12, 05:10 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LIS350A
No! My car IS sexy (especially with me in it ) but it's for MY use.
I expect my seat to be moved but they even adjusted the lumbar so someone got REAL comfy in my car and that makes me very uncomfortable NOT proud!
so u r a girl. Imagine you getting all dressed up and looking real hot and nobody even took notice, let alone invite you to dinner. Now that would be real violation :-D

I do understand your pain, but take a look from the guys perspective.
Old 03-15-12, 05:11 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Ya, let it go. If you're that upset, take your business elsewhere. That will show them.
Old 03-16-12, 01:52 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
so ur saying since the bumpy roads close to the service center was unable to dublicate the problem that they should try another bumpy road 30miles away? smh. like i said, if the tech isnt able to dublicate the problem then it should be made aware to the master tech and if the master tech cant either then owner of vehicle and the tech goes for a drive together.

What makes you think that all of those miles where put on the car to duplicate the concern?

When I was working as a tech for Lexus we had a route that we always took every car on no matter what it was in for. It was 8 miles, a little freeway, a little city just to make sure everything was fine and dandy.

Now consider this, you drop the car off and Tech A goes for a drive and duplicates the rattle. (8miles). Tech A narrows it down to a noise coming from the cluster and removed the cluster then goes for a drive to confirm the noise is gone. (8+8=16) Tech A then installs a new cluster and goes for a test drive to confirm the noise is still gone with the new cluster. (8+8+8=24) Tech A finishes up his paperwork and hands it over to the Service writer who goes for a drive with Tech A to confirm it is gone as well. (8+8+8+8=32).

Does that sound excessive? No

Now image it was not so easy to track down, maybe it sounded like it was coming from the dash pad, kneeroll, center console or glove box. Do you remove all those parts and go for one test drive? No, you remove them one at a time and drive it between each and every one.

I took my car into a dealership a few weeks ago for a check engine light covered by warranty, they put two miles on the car, Shotgunned the diag and assumed it was fixed. It wasn't and I had to make a second trip when the light came back on after 15 miles.

Now I am a service writer for lexus, ANY big job, pesky rattle, or hard to duplicate concern drives home with me if the customer allows. About 85 miles round trip. I do this because if it is going to fail, I want it to do so before I give it back to a customer.

Would you rather they put a few miles on the car and have to go back because the rattle was not fixed because they only put 5 miles on the car after the replaced a part and assumed it was fixed?

PS Edit: that service manager could handled the situation a bit better. As far as i am concerned that mileage is NOT excessive at all. Not in the least. But I don't think it was explained to you why those miles where put on the car. From the outside looking in I would be confused too.

Last edited by Gryss; 03-16-12 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-16-12, 04:18 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

^ +1 to gryss.
Old 03-27-12, 11:55 AM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Was there any more follow up from the service manager?
Old 03-27-12, 12:02 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gryss
Was there any more follow up from the service manager?
No, I have not heard from the dealership after the initial conversation. I did call Lexus Corporate and make a complaint.
Old 03-27-12, 12:18 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LIS350A
No, I have not heard from the dealership after the initial conversation. I did call Lexus Corporate and make a complaint.
That seems kind of lame, is there another dealer close by you can get it serviced at?
Old 03-27-12, 12:22 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

85 miles?! I hope you tell the customer that you will be taking the car on a 85 miles test drive beforehand.

Thank god my local Lexus dealership don't pull that off. I brought it into my dealership approximately 5 times in the past 4 years for rattles. The road test usually consists of 5 miles round trip. The technician knows roads that will replicate the rattles. The good thing is that they even let me drive my car while the technician sits on the passenger side trying to figure out where the sound is coming from.
Old 03-27-12, 12:30 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gryss
That seems kind of lame, is there another dealer close by you can get it serviced at?
Not really close by. I have other options, but I'd really have to go out of my way.
Old 03-27-12, 12:42 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smokyis350
85 miles?! I hope you tell the customer that you will be taking the car on a 85 miles test drive beforehand.

Thank god my local Lexus dealership don't pull that off. I brought it into my dealership approximately 5 times in the past 4 years for rattles. The road test usually consists of 5 miles round trip. The technician knows roads that will replicate the rattles. The good thing is that they even let me drive my car while the technician sits on the passenger side trying to figure out where the sound is coming from.
Of course they know beforehand. I'm not stupid enough to just take someones car, rack up the miles and not let them know. That is why this is an issue, I don't think it was the 33 miles. but the lack of explination for the 33 miles or asking permission to put miles on it.

If I or any of my techs need more then 20 miles on a car, the customer gets a phone call.

And the drive home usually isn't for rattles, usually it is for inter CEL, rough running issues or long distance driveabality issues that require miles being put on it.
Old 03-27-12, 01:18 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ Question for you: When you worked as tech, if you took a customers car home was the dealerships insurance covering you if anything happened to the car while it was in your possession?
Old 03-27-12, 01:24 PM
Gryss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
^ Question for you: When you worked as tech, if you took a customers car home was the dealerships insurance covering you if anything happened to the car while it was in your possession?
Yes. I would NEVER take a car for any reason if it was for work and I was not covered. To much personal risk if I got rear ended or something.
Old 03-27-12, 01:29 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes I think the techs just don't pay attention to the sounds and think it's "normal". Their hearing may not be good as well.

I remember having this conversation with the lead tech even in the car I was driving with when I had rattles with a different car which I didn't have anymore which turned out to be a bad one (long story, that's why I have my 11 IS). It's like, OK I clearly heard it, the tech said, he didn't.

Then goes on to say I have a "heightened sense of hearing". Also said that, his IS-F makes rattles and that's normal (yeah right...). I emailed to the service director and contacted Lexus corporate about that saying that what the tech said was unprofessional and should not be tolerated. My response is that, yes my hearing is good because I used to play musical instruments so my ears are sharp at hearing.

Quick Reply: 33 miles for road test during service?