IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

33 miles for road test during service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 06:16 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 33 miles for road test during service?

Hey guys,
I just picked my car up from the dealer and they put 33 miles on it. Is that normal? It's a lease so I watch every mile.

I brought it in to have the DRLs shut off, my TPMS light was on and had a rattle by the odometer reset button.

The DRLs require no test drive, the TPMS was just on the 2nd setting and switched back to the main setting. For the rattle, they insulated the "gauge cluster lens and bezel" according to my paperwork.

Does any of this require test driving it for 33 miles?

I have a 350 F sport that everyone seemed to be gathering around and asking me about. I don't want to know they just took it out for a cruise ya know?

Thanks!
Lisa

Last edited by LIS350A; 03-13-12 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-13-12, 06:44 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say 33 miles is extremely excessive. Even if it was all highway, that's still a full half hour of driving, and likely it was around town so it was longer. I had several rattles fixed and took techs on test drives and had techs do their own test drives, and none were more than a few miles.

I would raise your concern with the service manager. If it were just any car it might not be as big a deal, but on a lease that's 33 miles you might have to pay for at the end.
Old 03-13-12, 06:51 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be pissed.

I'ma have to start watching this when I take my car in for service and the such...
Old 03-13-12, 06:55 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

They were playing with your car for sure. does our cars black boxes keep speeds for past XXX miles? Would be interested to see how they drove it for those 33 miles :/
Old 03-13-12, 07:09 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Somebody went home for lunch during the test drive.
Did you at least get a full tank?
Old 03-13-12, 07:12 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
They were playing with your car for sure. does our cars black boxes keep speeds for past XXX miles? Would be interested to see how they drove it for those 33 miles :/
ugh I knew it...350s are rare around here and I've never seen an F sport in this area. I don't know what to say to them, they are just going to try and tell me they needed to test drive it for safety or some BS. What can they even do, I can never get that mileage back.

My baby feels so violated!
Old 03-13-12, 07:14 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

At my service center they take down the mileage, ask if they take it down afterwards before they give it to you. Would be hard to prove anything at this point.

As I said before I'ma start watching this before and after then check when i goto pick up my car. I hear stories about people getting their cars back with knicks on their wheels and other stratches n what not and this could be how they happen!

Don't want any mechanic test driving my baby like the race car it is!
Old 03-13-12, 07:16 PM
chaiyang7
Rookie

Yup somebody took a detour while test driving ur car lol. i would bug em bout it cause why are u gonna pay for miles u dudnt put in??? now is this a lexus dealer ur talking about?. They look too legit to be pulling this crap. My question would be " what was the problem that the test drive was 33 miles??" with a attitude!!!
Old 03-13-12, 07:18 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Originally Posted by kingster
Somebody went home for lunch during the test drive.
Did you at least get a full tank?
Nope, it's a little more than half full.
Old 03-13-12, 07:19 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Best idea that comes to mind is to have them add 33 miles to your allotted mileage haha sounds nit-picky but I understand where you're coming from. My car used to be leased. Don't know how easy it would be to do this tho...
Old 03-13-12, 07:21 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoac
At my service center they take down the mileage, ask if they take it down afterwards before they give it to you. Would be hard to prove anything at this point.

As I said before I'ma start watching this before and after then check when i goto pick up my car. I hear stories about people getting their cars back with knicks on their wheels and other stratches n what not and this could be how they happen!

Don't want any mechanic test driving my baby like the race car it is!
It's right there typed from them on my paperwork!
Mileage in: 10041 Mileage out: 10074

Oh crap I noticed some marks on my rims. I thought they could be mine from potholes and I was only noticing them now because I must say they cleaned my car so nicely. My rims are shining and the scuffs stand out now.
Old 03-13-12, 07:24 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Originally Posted by chaiyang7
Yup somebody took a detour while test driving ur car lol. i would bug em bout it cause why are u gonna pay for miles u dudnt put in??? now is this a lexus dealer ur talking about?. They look too legit to be pulling this crap. My question would be " what was the problem that the test drive was 33 miles??" with a attitude!!!
Yes, huge Lexus dealership in Northern NJ.

Funny thing is I only put like 12 miles on the Rx loaner they gave me. So not right.
Old 03-13-12, 08:27 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn that's not cool.....I bet one of the techs just decided to take it out to lunch somewhere a bit further or something instead of using their own car and said it was for "testing purposes" I'm sure the problem would have become apparent in less than 5 miles of driving. But when you said you drive a 350 F-Sport, it doesn't surprise me at all. I'm sure they went for a little joy ride.

Nothing you can really do about it now. Next time either take it to a different dealership, or let them know ahead of time that you better not be leaving with anything close to 33 miles on the car ever again. Also about the wheel damage you just noticed, you can bring it up with them, but more likely than not, they will say there's no proof it happened while the car was at the dealer.

Next time you get a loaner, be sure to do some 3 digit mileage
Old 03-13-12, 08:56 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

33 miles to way too much. i dont even put that much miles on customer's cars(5 miles max). i feel the same way when i take my 2011 IS350 F-Sport to the dealer too. All the guys will gather around my car and popping the hood in the pick up bay and the tech that was going to service my car, drove my car a little aggressive to the service bay. thats why i hate going the dealer because i dont know whats going on back there
Old 03-13-12, 09:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

On a bigger job 33miles sounds about right. usually its accumulated over a period of a few days. this however is not the instance

Quick Reply: 33 miles for road test during service?